It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Committee to Prove A HOAX?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I was wondering, though I do not get into the UFO forum that much, I was wondering who is the definitive authority to prove a video/photo a hoax? Is there a place that this evidence is sent and then looked into thoroughly and then re-released with a hoax sticker on it?

I may seen naive on this one, but I think its a good question. Many people have of course released hoaxes, but who made that the final word? I am of course not speaking of the videos or pictures with strings attached ( I mean an obvious string and a stick), but the word "hoax" is thrown out there pretty loosely.

In the world we live in, do we always take the word of the same people, or can anyone show that they can use a camera, or took a class about photo-shop, and completely destroy a theory, and even the person who presented it in the first place.

So I ask, is there an "authority" to UFO's? And if so who are they? And can anyone contact them with evidence, or do they find it in forums or UFO sites?

Who makes you say, good evidence you brought forth, I too, think this is a hoax, and thank you for clarifying that for me? Thank goodness ______ (fill in with name or organization) for helping to make that determination with your infinite knowledge of all things UFO.

Thanks in advance.
Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I am thinking MUFON, Stanton Friedman, and our very own Zorgon and easynow

I hear you too NRE, it would be cool to have a go to organization, but I would question their motives also.

Peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks Spec, I wanted to ask a question. Now if you were on the fence about something that was presented, would any of the people or organizations that you mentioned be able to help you to make a decision based on their findings?

Peace, NRE.

BTW, I did think that others would comment since the UFO forum is so big, but if you dont mind you were the only one to respond

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Honestly, if I were on the fence, I would bring it here in a collaborative spirit, for I trust the scrutiny, skills and support of some of our members. Other than that, maybe reporting to MUFON for some feedback?
Then, ultimately we would have to make our own decision....

Peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I am very, very surprise this topic is going no where. I thought that people would love to share their resources, that have many here say that some things are hoaxes. Oh well.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I would say our membership are the definitive authority who decide if a thread is a hoax or not.

You'll often notice threads don't get placed into HOAX until a concensus among our top research members is reached that there is clearly something wrong about the claim in question.

Now everywhere else, I have no idea, but here on ATS, it's you guys who decide. I would not have it any other way.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I was more wondering what type of techniques someone who is not a Ufologist uses when addressing a photo/video of any UFO evidence. I'm not to concerned about the forum it goes to as this is the decision of the site. But I have always wondered how regular people do this. I know some people may have more knowledge about other subjects than most.

Would it be wrong to ask for a process. Photo-shop is something that anyone can use even in a library, but when people ask about what they saw, or something that fascinates them, can every answer be photo-shop? Or CGI. Is there a possibility that just because we have advanced our technology that the "every man" can use, also be used as a deterrent from actual "real" evidence?

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
What I am trying to figure out is, what other field actually complains that something looks too "good"? We have now in our time to be able to by high tech equipment that can see things that many have never had the chance to. 30 years ago we had photos that came from some guys scrap book drawn from memory.

Now we can get a awesome camera for a about $100 bucks. Does it not seem odd that even with millions of people with good equipment, all seem to have the same motive... hoax. There's got to be a few out there that we are over looking, due to the tendency to think that something that looks too good to be true.. is.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
tothetenthpower is spot on!
and i've seen things come out of the hoax bin when more evidence has come to light, or if a lot of members disagree with the findings.
It's when members start calling each other that the moderator's show their worth, look at some of the big threads that have recently been closed because of the infighting.
A good idea might be to have an explanation by a moderator as to why a thread has been called a hoax, like a link to a "reason page" detailing the facts, maybe the best explanations in the thread copy&pasted into an easy to read format. It may well be a big task but would help those that don't understand how to figure things out for themselves, and would also be like a research statement as to how ats members have investigated ect. (or would that be turning ats into a research group)
The hoaxes this year are a real pain in the butt, and i don't like the idea that the people behind them are making fake video's that will probably still be around for years. It's not hard to see the connections of the people behind them even though youtube (where they all start) has changed the format of the friends lists lately. And beyond giving the video a thumbs down and reporting it for scam/fraud on the channels where it's posted on youtube, i can't see what else can be done

Im glad there are members here who can spot the fakes, i'd love to see a good "real" ufo video not a manufactured one! and im sure that a good clear video will come along soon that will show no sign of cgi fakery, and have plenty of witness/other evidence to back it up.

top topics

join