It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libyan Rebels, Invoking U.N., May Ask West for Airstrikes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

BENGHAZI, Libya — In a sign of mounting frustration among rebel leaders at Colonel Muammar el-Qaddafi’s diminished but unyielding grip on power, the revolutionary council here is debating whether to ask for Western airstrikes on some of the regime’s most important military assets under a United Nations banner, according to four people with knowledge of the council’s deliberations.

By invoking the United Nations, the council, made up lawyers, academics, judges and other prominent figures, is seeking to draw a distinction between the airstrikes and foreign intervention, which the rebels say they emphatically oppose.

www.nytimes.com...

You have got to be kidding me. A rag tag bunch made up of a group of lawyers, judges and what not are going to ask for airstrikes under the banner of the United Nations? I think the West could come up with a better excuse than this to strike Libya. Where's Ronald Reagan and a few F-111s when you need 'em?

Hell, if that's all it takes then I am going to give my neighor exactly 24 hours to remove that unsightly fence he just put up or I am calling in a squadron of A-10 Warthogs. All in the name of the UN.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

dont be silly! Leaflet drop your neighbours garden first! make him be the agressor, then call in the airstrikes!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReptilePete
reply to post by IamAbeliever

dont be silly! Leaflet drop your neighbours garden first! make him be the agressor, then call in the airstrikes!

Laughed so hard it almost induced incontinence. That is hilarious.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
There was a thread posted yesterday about how the UN passed a US supported vote that would protect nonLibyan mercenaries from war crimes even though they opened fire on unarmed civilians. It seems to me the reason the U.S sponsored this vote was to protect themselves when they come in blowing the hell out of everything. Why can't they mind their own damn business! Oh wait, they have oil. Nevermind!

The U.S. provision states: 6. Decides that nationals, current or former officials or personnel from a State outside the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya which is not a party to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of that State for all alleged acts or omissions arising out of or related to operations in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya established or authorized by the Council, unless such exclusive jurisdiction has been expressly waived by the State.

edit on 1-3-2011 by CoincidenceX because: added the provision

new topics

top topics

join