It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenn. bill would make following Shariah a felony

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Tenn. bill would make following Shariah a felony

news.yaho o.com

Tennessee is considering making it a felony to follow some versions of the Islamic code known as Shariah, the most severe measure yet put forth by a national movement whose members believe extremist Muslims want Shariah to supersede the Constitution....Muslim groups fear the measure would outlaw central tenets of Islam, such as praying five times a day toward Mecca, abstaining from alcohol or fasting for Ramadan.

"This is an anti-Muslim bill that makes it illegal to be a Muslim in the state of
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
What is the difference between this and the persecution of Christians in other countries?
The Bill's sponsor expects this to become law... but it its totally unconstitutional.
He also goes on to say his daughter took a Muslim to the prom. I wonder if that is the reason for the bill???

I honestly do not know anything about Shariah, but if it is a legit religion , it is untouchable, even if most do not agree with the principals. That is why this IS American, and not some other 3rd tyrannic country....oh wait , nevermind.

news.yaho o.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Good for Tennessee. Religion is nothing but trouble. We do not need the BS, especially THAT brand of BS which seems worst than the other BS religions.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Sharia Law is nothing but a code for a death cult. It has no place in a civilized Western society because it is a barbaric 7th century edict that tries to circumvent laws that already exist. "I strangled my daughter because she was raped and brought dishonor to the family"....wait what?. It is subhuman at its very core as does not belong in my country or any other that is capable of critical thinking skills.

I'm cool with this, keep up the good work Dixie.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by toolstarr

What is the difference between this and the persecution of Christians in other countries?

We don't put to death adulterers or kill people for not being muslim

I honestly do not know anything about Shariah

That is quite evident.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Way to go Tennessee!!! We need this law all across the nation!!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Too many islamaphobes in this thread....
good luck

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
www.duhaime.org...

The custom-based body of law based on the Koran and the religion of Islam.
Because, by definition, Muslim states are theocracies, religious texts are law, the latter distinguished by Islam and Muslims in their application, as Sharia or Sharia law.
So thorough is the integration of the justice system and Church under Sharia law that Sharia courts are essentially religious courts; judges are usually local church (Mosque) officials.

There is punishment by death in some of the Sharia laws. Many laws that are very discriminatory also. That has no place anywhere in North America.

If they were to let any of the North American courts to use Sharia Law, there is a lot of that law that is very illegal to enforce, such as the stoning of women, and flogging people, and the things that end in death sentences.
edit on 1-3-2011 by snowspirit because: added

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
There are laws that are popping up to ban the following of Sharia in the courts, starting with the OK law that was passed and is now on hold. Religious laws, follow mostly in the private parts of lives, that should never be touched, or intruded in, unless there is the factor of the public safety to consider, or would cause a danger to life and limb, such as some branches of Christianity and some of the native American tribes, where the religious practices are restricted to members of that tribe.
But the growing fear, and rightly so, is that there are some in the Islamic communities, that would like to see Sharia become part of the rule of land, imposing a religious law on the cities with a strong Islamic community. This too is documented, and even during the Ok debate, it was stated by a member of the Islamic community, that any problems in the community would be best handled by the community and not by the law enforcement, leading to the questions of what all did they have to hide. The law should be more specific as to state that it would be a felony for Sharia to be enforced in the public spectrum, along with all religious laws, keeping to the nature of the constitution of the United States, a separation of Church and State, and to maintain that wall, leaving the more private aspect of religious belief to be that in the hands of the practitioner, as long as it does not violate any other laws in the country. This would not only satisfy the Islamic community, but at the same time, let them know that following Sharia, to commit a crime, such as murder, would not be tolerated and is not a defense to do such.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

How is it unconstitutional? When a group comes to a foreign country it follows their laws and constitution. Not one in complete opposite that follow laws that would often be deemed crimes against humanity or be tossed out of a regular court.

They need to follow the laws of the land and uphold equality, the rights of women and children, etc etc etc.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I tent to side with the constitution, I am aware some practice honor killings, which are absurd to almost everyone except those that follow that religion.But, If we start outlawing certain religions we do not agree with , where does it stop? It is a slippery slope.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by toolstarr
reply to post by Violater1

I tent to side with the constitution, I am aware some practice honor killings, which are absurd to almost everyone except those that follow that religion.But, If we start outlawing certain religions we do not agree with , where does it stop? It is a slippery slope.

How is it banning religion? Religion and the courts of law in North America do not mix.
They already take time out in some businesses to pray 5 times a day, that's already pushing things a bit, if other workers don't get the same amount of breaks to do whatever with.

If they want to practice honour killings, let them do that in Muslim countries.
If we go to a Muslim country, we have to honour their laws, and if we break them, we could be subject to death.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

To be perfectly honest, this is because the educational system in Tennessee must really suck. I like the people here, very friendly, and nice, but really not the most intellectual crowd I have ever been in.

They recently petitioned a higher court to make sure Islam was even considered a real religion. I almost died laughing, but then, upon reflection, I realized that that is a sobering sign of a more serious unwillingness to consider information that isnt approved by the church.

Not the most educated state in the nation on average. In large, because of the influence of Christian extremism and its effect on schools here.

They arent so uneducated to realize they need to specify Sharia, however. Simply reinforcing the separation of church and state is not the agenda here.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

1st Amendment~
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Not every Muslim practices honor killings, but Shariah is considered God's law to them. The way they interpret that is different. I can only assume it is akin to how different denominations of Christianity believe different things.
from Wiki

Muslims believe Sharia is God's law, but they differ as to what exactly it entails.[1] Modernists, traditionalists and fundamentalists all hold different views of Sharia, as do adherents to different schools of Islamic thought and scholarship. Different countries and cultures have varying interpretations of Sharia as well.

This proposed law will outlaw all Muslims, if it is true they believe Sharia is God's law..

LOOK YALL, I AM NOT DEFENDING SHARIA, ONLY THE FREEDOM TO PRACTICE WHATEVER RELIGION YOU SEE FIT... IN THE USA. If someone breaks laws, deal with them in the courts, do not make believing in something a crime.
edit on 1-3-2011 by toolstarr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Stoning people to death or doing things like honor killings are already felonies in this country, why would we need another law in regards to this kind of thing? A crime is a crime, no matter the reasons behind it. That includes sharia or any other religious doctrine. If law against murder is enforced and justice carried out in that regard, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Not to mention it's stupid for the same reason that certain cyber-laws are stupid. If it's already obvious that it's illegal, you shouldn't need to create another law or class of laws for something that's already been covered.

Anyhow this law seems unconstitutional for the very same reason that trying to put a sharia law on the books would be. I'm sure people that have read the constitution could figure it out.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Pffffth.. More western ignorance in action.. Sharia law is ONLY applicable to muslims.
Non-muslins ARE NOT subject to sharia law.
In regard to the death penalty - funny its ok in the west for the state to execute criminals yet they raise hell when others do so.. Gotta love western hypocrisy and ignorance lah ..

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Pffffth.. More western ignorance in action.. Sharia law is ONLY applicable to muslims.
Non-muslins ARE NOT subject to sharia law.
In regard to the death penalty - funny its ok in the west for the state to execute criminals yet they raise hell when others do so.. Gotta love western hypocrisy and ignorance lah ..

Canada's capital punishment:
en.wikipedia.org...

The last execution in Canada was on December 11, 1962, at Toronto's Don Jail.

USA capital punishment:
en.wikipedia.org...

Capital punishment in the United States varies by jurisdiction. In practice it applies only for aggravated murder and more rarely for felony murder. Capital punishment existed in the colonies that predated the United States and that were later annexed to the United States under the laws of their mother countries and continued to have effect in the states and territories that they became. The methods of execution and the crimes subject to the penalty vary by jurisdiction and have varied widely throughout time.
Some jurisdictions have banned it, others have suspended its use, and others are trying to expand its applicability.

In the USA, it varies from state to state, but is only used for murder. Sharia law calls upon punishment of death for other things, such as honor killings.

No capital punishment in Canada. It is NOT ok to execute criminals up here.

It doesn't matter if it is only applicable to Muslims, the honor killings are NOT allowed in North America, anywhere. The Sharia laws would have to be rewritten to suit North American laws.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yes, but you do understand that the Old Testament has laws that are illegal in the US too, right?

I mean you cant actually stone adulterers to death in the US, or non-virgins, or your children if they are disobedient. And we all understand this, even without a specific law stating that it is a felony to do so.

So why would you need a specific law targeting Sharia, which is very broad, and encompasses things like foot washing?

Its just ignorance on the part of a bunch of Southern Baptists hopped up on too much caffeine and Jesus.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Its just ignorance on the part of a bunch of Southern Baptists hopped up on too much caffeine and Jesus

Interesting. You present on this thread as wanting to somehow scold bigots, and yet, you make one of the most bigoted comments of all.

I doubt seriously if all southern baptists are ignorant and hopped up on caffeine, as much as I doubt all Muslims stone their wives to death.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pplrnuts

First Amendment. Why do you want to give it up? (if your American that is)

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

LINK

<<   2  3  4 >>

join