It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Agrees, Bush's Wars Were Nuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

www.consortiumnews.com

When Defense Secretary Robert Gates told West Point cadets that you’d have to be crazy to commit U.S. troops to wars like those in Iraq and Afghanistan, media commentators quickly detected a slap at his predecessor, Donald Rumsfeld, who oversaw those conflicts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This one is of course aimed at the Bush administration by an Obama appointee but Gates sure hits the head of the nail squarely and in a rare form considering his position during the conflict. It is like political memories are especially short in the average political appointee when he has a new boss. Still who does not like to see a high level person in government call it like he sees it.

www.consortiumnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Surely thats an insult (Or In-Salt) to Nuts.......
edit on 1/3/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wayouttheredude

Gates was appointed to Secretary of Defence by Bush in 2006. That was befor anybody even heard of Obama.
www.defense.gov...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yeah, NOW he is saying that, just to give himself some publicity, clear his name a bit, and alleviate the guilty conscience. Why didn't he say it THEN, when him saying something could have really made a difference. He's a coward, just like every other slit-tongued politician in the White House and Congress.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

I said his Wars were Crazy from the Start! Its Taken Gates this Long.....

Whos the Idiot?...............

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I dont know if anyone else thinks this is "germaine" to the topic, I do.

According to the International Monetary Fund, however, the “informal” agricultural sector – devoted to opium production – earns about 40-50% of GDP; although, as an illegal activity, it does not register in official economic calculations (UNEP 2009). The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) has been monitoring the opium poppy cultivation in Afghanistan since 1994 (Figure 6). The “dip” in poppies cultivation during 2001 was largely due to a strictly enforced ban imposed by the Taliban government. However, with the departure of the Taliban, followed by a period of instability, the cultivation increased again in 2002 and continued to increase until 2007 when it reached record levels, and the country became practically the world’s exclusive supplier – about 93% of the global market (UNODC 2007). Poppy cultivation, which provides many Afghan farmers with significantly greater income than other crops, drives the rural economy. The gross income from opium per hectare is US$ 3,562 vs. US$ 1,101 from wheat (UNODC 2009).
Source: UNODC

www.nrel.gov...

Think of the events that took place, the timing, and how the Taliban "banned" the poppy production. The cost of opiate related drugs went way up and heroin addiction went way down, during this period of time. No wonder Bush and drug running cia agents along with pharmaceutical companies didnt "favor" the taliban. Turned them into a modern day boogy-man, didnt they?

Mod Note: Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.

edit on 7-3-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by flashcube

Well that was interesting information Thanks for sharing in the thread.

Second

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Seems like Gates and my 5 year old daughter agree on something...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
“What was the noble cause that my son died for?” asked Cindy Sheehan.

"This is a picture of my son Casey when he was 7 months old. It's an enlargement of a picture he carried in his wallet until the day he was killed. He loved this picture of himself. It was returned to us with his personal effects from Iraq. He always sucked on those two fingers. When he was born he had a flat face from passing through the birth canal and we called him Edward G., short for Edward G. Robinson.

"How many of you have ever seen your child in his or her premature coffin? It is a shocking and very painful sight. The most heart-breaking aspect of seeing Casey lying in his casket for me was that his face was flat again because he had no muscle tone. He looked like he did when he was a baby laying in his bassinet.

source

" ‘have his head examined' "...will this be an insanity defense? No, Mr. Gates, they should not stop at a head examination but continue on to a money trail examination and an ideological examination. Maybe then truth will prevail over lies.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Yeah it's easy to say that NOW... Mr. Iran-Contra...

BTW, anyone knows who will replace Robert Gates? He's leaving this year... Any name floating around?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Thanks for the update. That was one of my points outlined in the thread.

second

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wayouttheredude

No mention from Gates about Obama being NUTS for continuing these wars ??

top topics

join