It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cracked Mayan Code May Point to 8 Tons of Lost Treasure

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Dang. Not if I get there first!

Maybe we could recreate Treasure of the Sierra Madre all over again.

Seriously one of those golden tablets of the law would be worth a lot more intact than melted down. If you auctioned it off to the highest bidder, you would see this.

The stuff is probably loaded down with all kinds of demonic curses too.

I was thinking the same thing. Why melt it down when it's worth more intact?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Rittsteig calculates that "just the gold in the tablets is estimated to be currently worth up to 211 million euros (290 million dollars)." Read more: latino.foxnews.com...

That's about enough for on day in Congress....

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
anyone up for a treasure hunt, this sounds pretty cool, forget cancun I'm going for the Gold baby

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Here's some info that may at least be helpful. Depending on ones temperament toward the mainstream of archaeology.

This all is written in the article, but there are some doubts rising about that story, when you have a look at the details.

Although there are minor findings of gold at some sites (namely gold from Panama in the sacred cenote at Chichen Itza), the handling of gold seems to have been of minor importance to the Pre-Classic Maya.

The Post-Classic Period began around 900 AD. Here some Mayan tribes began to use goldwork. The destruction of the city Atlan is reported for 666 BD (yes, BC!). That is Middle Pre-Classic. We wouldn’t suspect any findings of gold in a city that was destroyed in 666 BC, especially of that amount and type.

Yes, the Maya had a law system, but it was never as complex as it had to be, that you would have to inscribe it on 2156 golden plates.

No single inscription of this very active site, ranging from 400 BC far into the Postclassic Period, mentions Atlán, a capital city or another city nearby that would fit to the description.

There is no word Atlán in any Mayan language. There are however two lakes in Guatemala: Lake Amatitlán and Lake Atitlán. Did someone maybe just cut one syllable more?! A(ma)(ti)tlán…

Mathematician...

Doesn't sound very promising. But who knows...
edit on 1-3-2011 by Klassified because: Shorten

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Read up on Oak Island, looks more promising...I have the dive gear

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I believe there are many cities and cultures around the coasts of the Atlantic ocean which have names which sound similar to Atlantis.

"Atlán, Autlán, Mazatlán, Cihuatlán, Cacatlán, Tecaltitlán, Tihuatlán, Atitlán, Zapotlán, Minititlán, Ocotlán, Miahuatlán, Tecaltitlán, Tepatitlán, Tihuatlán, Texiutlán, and the like. Notice that the Nahuatl Tlán root of these place names is exactly like the Tlan in "Atlantis."

www.world-mysteries.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
reply to post by lewman

Sure Im in ......$3995.....but finding a lake 2800 +- yrs old....priceless....mapless and Jeepless

I have a Jeep! I'll drive

Spring Break starts at 3:45 CST on Friday, I can be ready to go by 4:00. Hubby will be home after work and can watch the trio. And they can keep themselves busy playing COD and Just Dance

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Yankee451

Maybe the passage regarding Atlan was too brief then, after all. I extended on the topic a bit in an addendum to the article on the blog, and want to write the passage here as well, as it could be interesting for the discussion.

We know of the locative -tlan in Nahuatl, of course. And there are more places in Guatemala, that carry Nahuatl names. Those places were named later, however, when the Aztec triple Alliance extended even until nowadays south-west Guatemala in the late 15th century. Please consider, that the mathematician derived his information from the Dresden Codex, written at around 1200. And also consider, that the Aztec Empire never reached to north-east Guatemala, where Lake Izabal is located.

I also talked about the word Atlantis in Nahuatl context on the blog. The link can be found in the original article; I don't want to break any rules.

Judugrovee (TCMAM)
edit on 2-3-2011 by Judugrovee because: Managed to forget writing my name...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Justaposter

pick me up in Hemet,its on the way

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

Here is a link to another mention of the story.

www.history.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join