It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divine Love

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The word 'love' is one of the most misused and over used words in this world. You hear people saying 'Oh, give my love to so and so', whom they intensly loathe! And many others get carried away by infatuation and physical passion, and think the attraction is one of love.
The lowest kind of love, the love that is restricted, that desires and protects and helps only the ones to who it feels an attraction, and feels no pity, no mercy, no sympathy and no compassion for strangers.
Real love is the love of selflessness; the love that seeks nothing for itself, and in its highest form embraces the whole of humanity. You are not an evolved soul until you can say ''I love all mankind''. The greatest love is the love that has no trace of selfishness, that does not seek in any way to perform any action because it will bring some satisfaction to the individual. That is human love in its greatest aspect. It is the desire to uplift mankind, to help the needy, to sustain the weak, to fight the things that prevent the unfortunate from extracting the beauty that life could offer them.
Divine love covers the universe.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CandiceZ
The word 'love' is one of the most misused and over used words in this world. You hear people saying 'Oh, give my love to so and so', whom they intensly loathe! And many others get carried away by infatuation and physical passion, and think the attraction is one of love.
The lowest kind of love, the love that is restricted, that desires and protects and helps only the ones to who it feels an attraction, and feels no pity, no mercy, no sympathy and no compassion for strangers.
Real love is the love of selflessness; the love that seeks nothing for itself, and in its highest form embraces the whole of humanity. You are not an evolved soul until you can say ''I love all mankind''. The greatest love is the love that has no trace of selfishness, that does not seek in any way to perform any action because it will bring some satisfaction to the individual. That is human love in its greatest aspect. It is the desire to uplift mankind, to help the needy, to sustain the weak, to fight the things that prevent the unfortunate from extracting the beauty that life could offer them.
Divine love covers the universe.

Absolutely my friend!!

You put it very poetically. That is what divine love is in my book as well.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CandiceZ

Love seeketh not itself to please
Nor for itself hath any care
But for another gives it's ease
And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair. -William Blake

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Real love seeks no reward..Love doesn't ask for collateral, and earns us respect as human beings...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I highly highly recommend giving this a read. I don't really wish to paraphrase it, its fairly short anyway.

www.thenewcall.org...

It takes the divine love talk quite a few step beyond the OP.
edit on 1-3-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Ok thanks I will have a read of it now

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
M. Scott Peck in "The Road Less Travelled, A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth", defined love as

"Love is the will, to give of one's self, for the sake of another's spiritual growth and well being."

He also referred to love as the will to make use of the tools of discipline, which he gave as

Delay of Gratification
Acceptance of Responsibility
Dedication to Truth
Balancing

I agree with the OP that if we do not have the capacity to have love for everyone, then we cannot authentically love anyone in particular, including ourselves.

This then, in the failure or deficit of love, in the gap of love, is where I like to invoke God, even if only as an imagined perfect observer, and if it's a projection, that's fine, provided we have the imagination and the courage to accept ourselves as fully loved, and then, from such an overflowing abundance, then, there is love to spare and much more, because without such love, love fails. It must be all inclusive, and all enveloping, to be formative, and at cause.

I also believe that it covers the whole universe, and that in truth, the universe itself, at all levels, is governed by love, no matter what some of less informed people on earth might like to think, and regardless how far out of alignment they might be with such an overarching principal.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

This is one of my favorite Bible versus, Candice. The author is talking about all the gifts of the Holy Spirit and comes to the conclusion, the greatest of all is love. I hope you like it.

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love,
I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
And if I have the gift of prophecy,
and know all mysteries
and all knowledge;
and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains,
but have not love, I am nothing.
And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor,
and if I give my body to be burned,
but have not love, it profiteth me nothing.

Love suffereth long, and is kind;
love envieth not;
love vaunteth not itself,
is not puffed up,
doth not behave itself unseemly,
seeketh not its own,
is not provoked,
taketh not account of evil;
rejoiceth not in unrighteousness,
but rejoiceth with the truth;
beareth all things,
believeth all things,
hopeth all things,
endureth all things.

Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away;
whether there be tongues, they shall cease;
whether there be knowledge, it shall be done away.

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part;
but when that which is perfect is come,
that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child:
now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things.

For now we see in a mirror, darkly; but then face to face:
now I know in part; but then shall I know fully even as also I was fully known.

But now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13:1-13

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The whole world is a marketplace for Love,
For naught that is, from Love remains remote.
The Eternal Wisdom made all things in Love.
On Love they all depend, to Love all turn.
The earth, the heavens, the sun, the moon, the stars
The center of their orbit find in Love.
By Love are all bewildered, stupefied,
Intoxicated by the Wine of Love.

From each, Love demands a mystic silence.
What do all seek so earnestly? "Tis Love.
Love is the subject of their inmost thoughts,
In Love no longer "Thou" and "I" exist,
For self has passed away in the Beloved.
Now will I draw aside the veil from Love,
And in the temple of mine inmost soul
Behold the Friend, Incomparable Love.
He who would know the secret of both worlds
Will find that the secret of them both is Love.

~ Farid ud Din Attar, Mystic, 12th century Persian mystic

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Ultimatley its just a word, its the intention that counts.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Love is just a word. Parents smack their children and say 'i do it because i love you'.
Firstly, we must know what love really is. It is our job to find out.
When we can unconditionally love ourselves first, love will be overflowing.

top topics

join