It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sherpa Phenomenon - Human evolution at work.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just watching an interesting program on BBC about human evolution. They covered the case of Tibeten Sherpa's who live in extremely high altitudes where there is only 60% Oxygen in air. It seems that these sherpas have evolved a complex set of capillaries in the area behind their top lips. These are much more complex than normal humans and are proof of human evolution through natural selection.

Scientists have long wondered why the sherpas of the Tibetan Highlands can negotiate with ease elevations that cause some humans to become life-threateningly ill. Tibetans live at altitudes of 13,000 feet, breathing air that has 40 percent less oxygen than is available at sea level, yet suffer very little mountain sickness. The reason, according to a team of biologists in China, is human evolution, in what may be the most recent and fastest instance detected so far.

www.wholeweirdworld.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is pretty interesting. I don't think I have ever heard of something like this before. Hope to see some good discussion here, instead of trolls.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Nice find! S&F.

I wonder what kind of traits desert nomads have that others don't.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
For UK viewers, here is the documentary. It looks at human evolution and the potential for future evolution. It is interesting to know there are 9,000 designer babies out there. well worth a watch.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Thanks for and interesting post. Starred and Flagged. Evolution at work. I too have noticed subtle changes. Being English, I have a developed set of taste buds for warm beer and special shaped fingers for fish and chips.

No, seriously, great find. Mother nature never fails to amaze me.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
In before "This is just adaptation" or "This is just microevolution" comments.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
When they turn into a new species please call me. Until then, good for them!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
poor little fellow..

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Thanks for and interesting post. Starred and Flagged. Evolution at work. I too have noticed subtle changes. Being English, I have a developed set of taste buds for warm beer and special shaped fingers for fish and chips. No, seriously, great find. Mother nature never fails to amaze me.

That's not human evolution! I mean human are not going to look like that. That's a mutation.

edit on 2-3-2011 by _SilentAssassin_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Did I call it or did I call it? With 2 minutes to spare, even!

Originally posted by iterationzero

"posted on 2/3/2011 @ 09:25"

Originally posted by jjkenobi
When they turn into a new species please call me. Until then, good for them!

"posted on 2/3/2011 @ 09:27"

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Are you serious? This is the very definition of adaptation.

The definition of adaptation

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by _SilentAssassin_

Actually, evolution is progressed by mutation. It does not need occur in the whole species to constitute evolution. If that was the case, all humans would look racially identical.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
extremely high altitudes where there is only 60% Oxygen in air.
Tibetans live at altitudes of 13,000 feet, breathing air that has 40 percent less oxygen than is available at sea level

Wow! Actually it sounds like Sherpa's aren't even human. Or even Earthly! Average sea level oxygen levels are 21%. 60% oxygen levels would kill a human just like 0% oxygen would. I think the correct oxygen figure for the Sherpa's would be closer to 8.4% oxygen level.

Not trying to nitpick. Just saw that 60% number, and figured there was a mathematical error had taken place. Good article by the way. Those sherpa's are some bad mo fo's. The stories I've heard, from packing Oxygen tanks for the "climbers", to carrying majority of the camp materials for the base camps. Simply amazing the feats these individuals can perform.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by saabster5

yes, i saw one guy who has the record time of getting to the top (from somewhere) official

and he's been up on the top more times than i been to the 7/11.

it was on a mt. everest documentary. btw.

i think he hit the top 14 times or so.
edit on 10-3-2011 by fooks because: clarity of response.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Star and Flag

I've been talking about the Tibetans on this forum for months, they're my favorite example to point Creationists to to show that not only did we evolve but we are STILL evolving. It totally shatters the "evolution can't add new information" argument. Thousands of years spent in isolation after our species left Africa has created some significant amount of genetic diversity. Had we all remained isolated we may have all become separate species. Thanks for posting this

edit on 10-3-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by addygrace

Are you serious? This is the very definition of adaptation.

The definition of adaptation

I agree. The key word in my post was "just". Evolution is evolution, regardless of how creationists try to slice the scale by using the word "just".

new topics

top topics

join