It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Million Lives At Risk From Aging Oil Refineries In The U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Look at the way the gas behaves, concentrated and low, moving across the landscape at ground level!
Hydrochloric acid is the main chemical used in these plants and they were all built in the 70's, making them questionably safe. There are over 15 million folks within kill zones around these facilities.

Man, it really bums me to be delivering such fearful news, but I am going to have to move to Texas soon, and I WAS considering Corpus Christi.....NOT! Sirens and alarms are constantly going off and the people just have to live with it I guess, although I'd be getting the heck outta there.
This is really a disaster waiting to happen. There have been 29 explosions in the last 2 years, and Citco was just fined 300,00.00 for safety violations.

How about this president of Oil Refinery Trade Group? The stuttering and comments like," We can't look in the rear view," and "they are as safe as we can make them." This guy knows the potential crisis and I bet his family does not live near one of these refineries. He says there are alternatives, but they are expensive. So was the acoustic tech that could have prevented the Gulf tragedy too! Profits before people!

Between fracking and this crap, I really don't want to live around such volatility.
Safety? I'm sure it will take a back seat to profits at some point, it always does in these industries.

spec

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I wonder why abc news didn't talk about the reasons no NEW refineries have been built in this country for decades..........?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

According to Mike Ruppert, a strong proponent of the whole peak oil movement, said it was because the industry new the available oil would be gone at some point early this century, therefore they never invested in new refineries.
So I guess ABC does not want to contribute to that notion?

spec
edit on 1-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Bump for the sake of awareness, particularly for those in close proximity to these refineries. Do you have a plan in the event of an incident?

spec

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. I live in the Houston area. I had no idea that there was this kind of danger. Everything seems to be coming to a head all at once. Sigh. Another reason to move away from the coast.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

Thank you thinkingthing
I was hoping to get some new life breathed into this thread, for the sake of awareness. I have numerous family members down there in Texas, and in Corpus Christi, and I will be moving down there eventually, but with this and all the fracking going on, well I have some reservations.

Peace,
spec

new topics

top topics

join