It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we really need World Peace?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Personally i don't think world peace is even possible...

The problem is the reasons wars are started in the first place, greed.

Greedy governments wanting more then what they have...maybe one day some country will have a peaceful, helpful government for the people not for themselves.

Impossible? oh hell yes...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

Originally posted by mileslong54
How can one be responsible for another's choices, if another chooses to not take responsibility for what they do it can effect the physical world we live in but would God see you differently for what others have done?
With love and respect as well

We are all responsible for each others choices. If a young man grows up in the ghetto and is surrounded with pain and corruption, who are YOU to judge him if he lashes out at your world by dealing drugs, killing, and stealing. It is because we ignore that suffering that we get the violence in the world. We have become focused on ourselves and not each other.

Think what we could achieve working together.

If I ended your suffering would you not be thankful and see this world blissfully?

Heaven is right here. We must be our Brother's Keeper.

With Love,

Your Brother

I agree and thank you. It's just seems some thing are out of reach for my help although I believe what you say and try to be kind and help all of those around me. I work with kids and I know exactly what your saying, I love the work I do with them and get a great sense of peace when I'm around them. I would be very thankful to you for ending suffering I would never wish for anything or anyone to have to go through the cancer treatments that I did, it was true hell but I'm in much appriciation of the people along the way that help me in my time of need and I think that's apart of learning from the bad in life or trying to find good in the bad. I guess I can only pray that more people lend a helping hand and support one another because we are all apart of the same. Thanks, peace
edit on 1-3-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I am not saying there isn't reason for the past to have been as rough as it was. I am saying that we should always be looking toward perfection in our works. To know that perfection is to see it in all that we have been given to work with, including each other. Every piece is important.

But you (and Millions of others) are only assuming that things are not perfect just as they are...with this planet as a mere training ground or "game board" in a much larger plan...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

I have only one question - how much evil do we need to see to be "entertained"..

I dont know. And I still dont know whether violent movies and games serve to vent or magnify violence. I do think that the more desensitized one is, the more violence is required to feel "entertained" by various movies. What do you think?

I think it's both disgraceful, and absurd. To even call it "entertainment" is absurd. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Drama, does not require murder and mayham to be dramatic. It almost appears to be some sort of satanic conspiracy of sorts.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

But you (and Millions of others) are only assuming that things are not perfect just as they are...with this planet as a mere training ground or "game board" in a much larger plan...

I am not assuming anything my friend. I am listening to the suffering of others. If one person says this world is not perfect, then it is not. We all have a God given right to express how we perceive the world. If we want the rest of the world to see it as perfect, we must help them achieve their idea of perfection.

I see it as perfect because I can see what we can do together.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I am not saying there isn't reason for the past to have been as rough as it was. I am saying that we should always be looking toward perfection in our works. To know that perfection is to see it in all that we have been given to work with, including each other. Every piece is important.

Are you assuming that things are perfect just as they are? or are you playing devils advocate?

If pursuing change is "against the grain," why do you even get up in the morning, much less come onto a message board and post? such things are enacting change.

This thread was not here before you made it, but if things are perfect just as they are, then why post it at all?

i feel things are perfect how they are, right now, in the sense that everything is as it should be and is a result of conscious systems decisions leading up to this point. In that sense, if there was world peace, things would be perfect in that sense as well. Both cases are a product of our communal decisions based on our individual conscious actions and movements. World peace seems to be viewed as some sort of "super-utopia" where nothing else needs to progress and move, and i feel that is completely illusory. It is simply a different form of living, a product of a different set of choices that we can make at any point but just havent.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
It almost appears to be some sort of satanic conspiracy of sorts.

I had that thought in passing once. And then I thought: "Or maybe Im just getting old".

But it is true that the movie industry is really rubbing it in with violence and mayhem, often unnecessarily.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik
Are you assuming that things are perfect just as they are? or are you playing devils advocate?

Im suggesting that maybe its not the dance of illusion that needs to be changed or perfected, but oneself. Maybe the dance is exactly what its supposed to be and life is all about who WE ARE in response to the dance.

If pursuing change is "against the grain," why do you even get up in the morning, much less come onto a message board and post? such things are enacting change.

Im fine with enacting change and progress. But what "progress" is, is different for many. I am not going to force others to accept my version of change. Im going to change myself, not others.

World peace seems to be viewed as some sort of "super-utopia" where nothing else needs to progress and move, and i feel that is completely illusory.

Agreed.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I gotcha. I separate the two (finding peace for oneself and world peace) as two individual aspects of life that have very, very, very little to do with one another beyond being part of the same overall system. World peace would not lead to finding such things "within" but might have an effect on facilitation of such actions. It is still a personal choice either way.

The "way things are" is seen by me as a product of our choice, communally and individually. If that choice changes on a large enough scale, regardless of personal journies towards "enlightenment," or other similar illusions, the "way things are" will change. the "way things are" is constantly changing, so why not make conscious decisions to try something else out instead of continuing a cycle that has a significant chance of ending in annihilation? In many respects, it is simply learning from our mistakes instead of continuing their basis over and over again. either way, "the way things are" are exactly as they should be.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Do we really need world peace? Yes. Why? Because it's better than world war.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I think the first question would be, why don't we have world peace, who is stopping us? There are those who don't want us to have peace and will go to any extreme to make sure we don't.

As long as there are controllers out there who benefit from war and control we will never have peace, they don't care what the world pubic wants.

One day we may wake up and refuse to fight, that is the only way it will happen.

S&F

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Why do those who speak of peace often cause the most death? The reality is people will always find a reason not to like one another due to normal every day stresses. That problem is escalated by people who are sociopaths, people that like to cause others suffering(lower classed sociopaths usually are content with trolling online or moderate workplace/friends manipulations for "fun") for their own amusement. And even sociopaths who aren't evil are still a problem. Because they have no innate moral compass they can justify anything. From discrimination, slavery, hardship's to outright genocide. From their perspective those types of sociopaths think they are doing the "right thing".

Until we as a species begin to take dangerous neural types seriously, we won't even begin to get anywhere near the road to peace, let alone it's end destination:lasting peace.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I would like to offer a slightly different take to the World Peace scenario...and I would like to preface this by saying that World Peace, no matter how unrealistic, would be ideal. Knowing that soldiers and civilians the world over would be safe from harm is a warming thought.

But...

If all nations and peoples of the world suddenly became smitten with each other, I fear that chaos could grip the planet based upon the "fallout" of peace. What "fallout" you ask? How could World Peace be anything but nirvana you wonder? I must be crazy...right?!?! Just hear me out for a moment.

Let us say that tomorrow, World Peace is declared and a global lovefest transpires. It would be wonderful indeed, but what about in 2 weeks, how about 2 months...2 years???

The planet is currently boobie-deep in a financial crisis, unemployment is at an all time high, business upon business are closing their doors, homes are being foreclosed on, food shortages are globally rampant, and to top it off, the planet is already drastically overpopulated.

An end to all wars would compound each and every problem listed above on an exponential scale. I will view this from an American perspective for my expamples, but all of my arguments apply to all nations and peoples.

Consider if you will...

1. There are 1.5 million active U.S. Military personnel. That is 1.5 million additional Americans entering a domestic workforce that is already ountnumbering the available jobs by 13 or so million.

2. There are countless companies and businesses whose primary customer is Uncle Sam. Think about how many of these entities would be forced to close their doors or significantly scale down production, spending, and jobs. The global lack of conflict would render such businesses obsolete, thus dumping several more million hard working Americans on to the unemployment line.

3. War and other conflicts provide a certain level of population control and by default aids in curbing the spread of famine While this premise is an awful thing to think about, it is also a tragic fact. If one were to take an arbitrary period of time, lets say 1975 to present, and calculated the number of casualties resulting from war, conflict, genocide, and terror attack...it would not be unreasonable to assume a large percentage of those people would still be alive today, an addtional strain upon the planet's resources and foodstuffs.

4. 40% of taxes collected by the IRS go towards some form of military related spending. That is a massive number. Some may argue that this money could be better spent, but I am willing to bet that most people, especially in such harsh economic times, would like to see the new found money, rather than be reinvested in other areas and programs...not be taken from their paychecks in the first place.

Anywho...just wanted to paint a more realistic view of what the true price of World Peace just may be. That does not mean I still won't grab a peace pipe and sing kumbaya

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik

The "way things are" is seen by me as a product of our choice, communally and individually. If that choice changes on a large enough scale, regardless of personal journies towards "enlightenment," or other similar illusions, the "way things are" will change. the "way things are" is constantly changing, so why not make conscious decisions to try something else out instead of continuing a cycle that has a significant chance of ending in annihilation? In many respects, it is simply learning from our mistakes instead of continuing their basis over and over again. either way, "the way things are" are exactly as they should be.

Most of us have made that conscious choice for peace already. My life is 99% peaceful. My whole point (I think) is that the moment I try to make this peace for others is where conflict begins, because I am pushing them to be different than they are.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
I think the first question would be, why don't we have world peace, who is stopping us? There are those who don't want us to have peace and will go to any extreme to make sure we don't.

In order to arrive at that question you would first have to assume that planet earth is meant to be peaceful instead of full of contrast and challenge.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by vimanarider

Thanks for the provocative addition. I was at the philosophical part and hadnt even considered the real implications yet. Some would argue that without the heavy military presence in some areas, there might be even less peace...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Do we really need world peace? Yes. Why? Because it's better than world war.

Yes, but do we need 100% peace at all times? Would that not be an unnatural state that could only be enforced through global Government?
edit on 2-3-2011 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
"World peace" is an illusion. There will never be any "final peace". There will always be conflicts. We can reduce them 'tho, by control.

Also, the weapon industry (or industry in general) makes huge profits out of war, so i don't see it going away anytime soon.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

i would like to start by saying very good taught its one ive had from time to time after a smoke, i belive myself that when we die we our concence coms back to the same reality each time there fore i would like to think heaven is what we make of it here just by apprechateing that we do exist, what do others think ?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Overall, i think the idea of Mother Culture from Ishmael is strongly applicable to a suggestion like world peace and more specifically, the reactions to such a thing. and by strongly applicable, i mean it is a direct correlation

reply to post by vimanarider

I believe that when most are approaching things like "world peace" in a positive manner, they usually are thinking in an idealistic manner that "all problems will be solved forever and ever!" I think thats because very, very few ever put real thought into how we would actually go about it. It is the "yea or nay" response, but few actually search out the implications for themselves. The transition itself will create a ripple that must be mitigated, and then when equilibrium is attained again, the issues that arise will start to present themselves and can be approached under the new paradigm. Such issues are likely not comparable to what we know to be common issues today, but the ripple can be prepared for. My personal biggest concern would be population growth.

I think such people (military) could be used to repair and maintain systems of infrastructure within their "nation." Obviously, just because there is "world peace, respect, and unity" doesnt mean that all conflicts are gone or that things do not still age and wear. But undoubtedly, markets will change. The problems in such a scenario would not likely come from the military solely, but from the idea that we have set up portions of industry and economy to be run with as little man power as possible. Though, there are segments of these markets that could benefit greatly from more manpower, but obviously, they would have to adapt to be able to utilize it. I think one industry that could benefit is the meat industry, as i think such industries are... disasters and may have negative effects on health.

Things are also set up to be directly competitive instead of co-operative, so those structures would likely morph as well. However, it is the greater repercussions on the system as a whole that would be hard to predict. If everything is co-operative, the perception of money completely changes, the perception of the rich/poor completely change, the pursuit of true science becomes forefront, etc. Basically, the problems that would arise under such a world would be specific to that set of outcomes. Viewing what problems would be caused by such a scenario, by viewing what would happen in todays scenario may not be entirely accurate, or maybe even completely wrong.

reply to post by Tryptych

I think the concept behind world peace is to live in a different way. i have never personally viewed it as an end to conflict, but an end to the current set of conflicts that are repercussions of current personal decisions. i have never seen it as a utopia, it is the product of a different set of choices that would have issues and problems all of its own.

In its way, it is a step away from creating us vs them, and going towards "us." Not only is such a thing not a panacea, it would introduce and create issues and problems that did not even exist under the previous "us vs them" paradigm! The issue is, living in the us vs them mindset has a significant chance of ending in annihilation by our own hands. It also stifles progress in many areas, due to what people will do for competition and profit. It would seem that if we are able to choose a lifestyle that reduces the chances of global destruction by our hands occuring, it is the rational and logical choice (if by nothing else than self-preservation). The benefits beyond that, while purely speculation, would likely include incredible growth and progress in fields like science and medicine. Nothing needs to be "hidden" in these fields anymore, as it is all for the co-operative progress of humans as a whole. Because of this information dissemination, it will allow more minds to think about things openly and on much larger scales. Really though, all that is most obviously pure speculation

I view the way we live right now, as a product of our own choices, and not just some inevitability. so, perhaps that is where my opinion differs
Obviously, those who profit off of the current circumstances would resist such changes. However, due to the current scenario itself, there are many, many, many more who would "profit" more by deciding to change. To me, it is the very meaning behind the words "the power of the people."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join