It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your cat can send you insane. Toxoplasmosis. I will never let a cat near me .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ever let your cat near to you?
Ever stroke your cat?

You might want to take kitty on a one way trip to the vets... real soon.

Check this out. Toxoplasmosis.

ngm.nationalgeographic.com...

www.psychologytoday.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Onet Wosix

interisting stuff ,good find
s and f

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The article says it's a protozoa found in the cat's feces.
Just dont handle or consume the poo and you'll be fine lol

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
bahaha...hopefully no one has cat feces fetish hahaha

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

This is interesting and I have heard about this before, but seriously, the chances of you getting schizophrenia from a cat is slim to none.

My cat is more likely to make me go crazy by sleeping on my head all the time.

edit on 1-3-2011 by tsawyer2 because: grammar

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
More specifically, pregnant women shouldn't handle it.. If you're not pregnant and you don't stick cat poop in your face or dry it out and blow it around the room, you'll be fine.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I've been telling people about this for as long as I can remember.

I have friends that have a separate room for their cats, they don't clean it or anything. When you step into their home, all you smell is cat crap. I don't go over there anymore and forbid my girlfriend from doing it. I can't believe people can become so immune to that smell. They even smell like it when they leave the home, which is fine if you're shopping at Walmart, but notsogood when you are visiting friends. I don't even let them into my home anymore.

This really struck a nerve with me. I don't like the filth that multiple cat ownership seems to cause.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I was gonna say, is this referencing my cat's propensity to scratch up mu leather jacket? 'Cuz yeah, that drives me insane.

I have heard of toxplasmosis before. The key is to wash your hand after cleaning up after your cat, and not to let them walk on food surfaces(which you shouldnt anyway.)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hmmmm.... are cats subject to giving this to themselves? Just sayin........

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

edit on 1-3-2011 by ReRun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tharsis

They even smell like it when they leave the home, which is fine if you're shopping at Walmart, but notsogood when you are visiting friends.

haha lol

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
If we worried about everything and anything that could possible ever get us sick in some or any way, we'd never leave the house. Then again, there are things inside the house that could make us ill too. Is no where safe?

www.psychologytoday.com...

The good news is that, just like eating a fat-rich diet only increases the potential for illnesses linked to high cholesterol or body fat, having Toxoplasma gondii in your system is not likely to drive you insane. However, if you feel that you may have been exposed to the parasite, a simple blood test - a request apparently being made more and more frequently -- can confirm or deny its presence.
And, more importantly for some, you don't have to get rid of your cat(s) - in fact, Yolken himself has three.

ngm.nationalgeographic.com...

That said, studies in this area remain preliminary. Much of the research is built around statistical correlations rather than any clear step-by-step pathway from infection to disease. Torrey says he and his colleagues don't know why early exposure to toxo would lead to a disease, schizophrenia, that doesn't show up until late adolescence at the earliest. All told, it's still a rather speculative line of argument. But we'll still keep an eye on those crazy cats.

Basically, what I've always heard, is that pregnant women should never clean the kitty litter box, they are the ones most at risk. And yes, I've always had cats, and dogs, and have never gotten sick.

I'll take my chances and try to live without fear

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I am sure messing around with a cat will not make you any crazier than valuing paper over a human being or thinking that starving Ethiopian is just lazy.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I dont have a cat, but am I right in thinking that they spend a fair bit of time licking their 'khyber pass', and then lick the rest of their body?

Would this mean that their fur is covered in a diluted version of the stuff that is coming out of the , erm, rusty sherrifs badge?

I will never let a cat within ten feet of me.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
The article says it's a protozoa found in the cat's feces.
Just dont handle or consume the poo and you'll be fine lol

The problem occurs when your cat poops in the litter box, gets some on their paws, then scratches you. That is how it is transmitted most commonly.

It's important to make sure you immediately wash and disinfect any cat scratch immediately. They can contain many harmful things.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
My grandpa always warned us kids that pussy could drive a man insane, clearly he had already seen this study.

second liner

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onet Wosix
I dont have a cat, but am I right in thinking that they spend a fair bit of time licking their 'khyber pass', and then lick the rest of their body?

Would this mean that their fur is covered in a diluted version of the stuff that is coming out of the , erm, rusty sherrifs badge?

I will never let a cat within ten feet of me.

The enzymes in a cats saliva kill off bacteria.

It is highly unlikely that it would be passed this way.

....sorry, but just cant help but chuckle at a fear of kitty cats.

link   

Originally posted by tsawyer2

This is interesting and I have heard about this before, but seriously, the chances of you getting a schizophrenia from a cat is slim to none.

My cat is more likely to make me go crazy by sleeping on my head all the time.

Same here!! Can't tell you how many times I wake up and push my cat off my head or her trying to sleep under my chin. And on the funny side she does act like she sees something in the ceiling corner of a room or does this growling thing at an invisible entity!!!!

link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

My grandpa always warned us kids that pussy could drive a man insane, clearly he had already seen this study.

second liner

POST OF THE YEAR.

Second line

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tsawyer2

I totally agree. My cat also sleeps on my head everynight and has for years. So much so that my hair is permanently flat on top of my head.
I read you can only get toxoplasmosis from changing litter boxes and touching feces, which is why they advise pregnant women not to change the boxes. But it is definitely okay to pet your kitty.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join