It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West edges closer to military action on Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

West edges closer to military action on Libya

www.khaleejt imes.com

TRIPOLI — The West edged closer on Tuesday to military action against Muammar Gaddafi as the United States said air strikes would be needed to secure a no-fly zone over Libya, and regime forces tried to retake a key city.

US and European leaders weighed the use of NATO air power to impose a no-fly zone, with the aim of stopping Gaddafi using air power against his own people to crush the insurrection against his four decades of iron rule.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-3-2011 by Mdv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Senior US commander General James Mattis told a Senate hearing that any no-fly zone would first require bombing the oil-rich north African nation’s air defense systems.

“It would be a military operation,” said the head of Central Command.

And the war mongering continues. I just read on Twitter that the rebels are winning and repelling battles with troops loyal to Gadaffi in Tripoli. I seriously hope they achieve to end this before the US and its cronies have a chance to start the bombing, the only problem - Gadaffi is a madman. When he said that he will die as a martyr, I am convinced he is not kidding and he'll take as many people with him as possible.

Fingers crossed the US is not going to exploit the situation and let Gadaffi sink one of their ships; it that happens - this conflict could become very messy and spread rapidly.

www.khaleejt imes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Of course we can afford another war, forget the state budgets and all the cutbacks. We have done our duty, why should we pay to put the gas in the tank when so many others are in the vehicle shouting directions? Do we have to carpool from the U.S.?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
How reliable is this source?

USA and NATO are seriously tooling up ready for a conflict now anyway!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RandalFlagg

The source is AFP, so pretty much reliable I'd say.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Now why would we need air strikes? Cant we just set up mobile SAM sites and just say ok, no flying your toys or we shoot you down.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Tension is certainly rising!

Its strange I expected Iran or Korea to be the next place for the US to go in!

I wonder if the Libya conflict has been planned by the TPTB or if they are just going to exploit a non foreseen conflict!

Im sure the US and NATO are biting at the bit ready to enter!
edit on 1-3-2011 by RandalFlagg because: spelling

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RandalFlagg

I don't think this was planned. On the contrary, it is a golden opportunity on the road to war (with Iran). Gadaffi has always been a nuisance to the West and now they can deal with him relatively easy, they will do so. It's a matter of time, in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
Now why would we need air strikes? Cant we just set up mobile SAM sites and just say ok, no flying your toys or we shoot you down.

Deebo

I think the no-fly zone would be patrolled by NATO airplanes (flying in the no-fly zone of course), so the bombing missions would take out Libyan anti-aircraft sites.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

There's a Pentagon briefing going on now. CNN.com live. And they are discussing how a no-fly zone would be setup.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

Oh and there's a big concern about the mustard gas stockpiles that the Libyan military has, and that they could use it against their own people.

That sounds like a reason for war we've heard before....

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Having just watched an interview with Richard Haass the head of the CFR on British TV news, I cant see America going into any middle eastern country in the near future. Haass believes America has got intervention fatigue and would be mad to put American soldiers in that scenario, based on the experience of Iraq and afghan. This is coming from one of the world's biggest globalists.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is nothing more than a ploy by the US puppet gov to pressure the rebels to finished the chaos immediately.

The reason is due to the oil instabilities that resulted and thus the puppet masters are in a hurry to want the business finished as fast as possible.

BUT..these are humans we are are talking about. It is already an Almighty miracle that the rebels got to where they are today, never before in the course of our modern history with civilians of no military trainning, merely peaceful protestors at that.

Those within pro-beast held tripoli are fellow humans first, our brothers and sisters, secondly hLibyans. It will take time so that no more blood be shed, thus the need to be cautious for everyone.

I and everyone else can accept the violity in oil prices for days, weeks and months, even if it means the black marketeers profit immensely from it, for such is the sad life we slaves have to face in the hands of our masters, afterall, money lost today can be made back later on.

But precious human lives, more so those whom are our brothers and sisters seeking for freedom, are lost forever. No human must be sacrificed needlessly. If we fail to honour this dictum, we are no better than beasts we are seeking or hope to overthrow. Every human life means something to someone.

There will be a time when outside military intervention be needed, where more lives need to be saved that is beyond the sacrificed of all dead and fallen Libyan rebels, in the hopes for the salvation of the future Libyan generations . But that time has not come yet.

Thus I plead that the US, NATO and UN, BACK OFF!

The courageous Libyan men had acheive faster with far more better results than what those superpowers had set out to acheive for years on end with no resolution but bitterness and worse chaos in other nations that they sought to 'liberate'!
edit on 1-3-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

Deebo

Considering the UN and France are being useless at the moment, we will probably have to establish an improvised no fly zone, by giving Stinger missiles to the opposition forces.

There's also been talk of Egypt establishing a no fly zone over Libya. The Arab League is calling for one and Egypt may answer that call.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

I don't think this was planned. On the contrary, it is a golden opportunity on the road to war (with Iran). Gadaffi has always been a nuisance to the West and now they can deal with him relatively easy, they will do so. It's a matter of time, in my opinion.

No, no you're confused.

We were always IN BED with Gaddafi and Libya, not hating them. Just because they are an Islamic nation doesn't mean we hate them. We were best buds with Gaddafi before this little event. His son liked going to islands and partying with Western diplomats. Gaddafi was all close to Blair and the Europeans (oil makes friends!).

Gaddafi always hated Al Qaeda and Islamic extremists. He was our little dictator despite that "unfortunate" Lockerbie incident.

We would keep him if we could, really! But now that he's massacring his own people it makes us start to look like hypocrites to support him. He is a thorn in the side of Islamic revolutionaries more than the West. They even tried assassinating him before!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
RUSSIA will never support the hypocrites WEST and USA!

new topics

top topics

join