It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Racism, No One Wins!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
PLEASE READ ALL THE POST"S AND REPLIES! THIS SUBJECT IS NOT TAKEN LIGHTLY AND WE SHOULD ALL AT LEAST BE ABLE TO LISTEN AND READ BEFORE WE REPLY. ALSO IF YOU BREAK THE T&C I WILL ALERT A MOD!

I am hoping that we can have a conversation, share, and maybe open our minds a little, without hurtful words, derailing, or anger.
Please, if you are going to participate, no on-liners, or disrespectful comments.

What I am going to discuss is racism. But not the type of racism that most think about, but what happens when racism is more about the "color" of your skin, and not about your race. I am Puerto Rican, and I have 4 children that are much darker than I am. I am originally from NYC, and never dealt with racism before. I never had a discussion with my children about race, because is was not necessary. When you look at me, you think that I am mixed, or at least hispanic (people here think I'm might be mexican or black), but in fact I have some very dark skinned people in my family, but my mother is very light skinned. I never thought that the "color" or my skin might come into play at sometime in my life, and I have been pretty patient with those who do not even know what a Puerto Rican is.

My children on the other hand have been picked on, due to the color of their skin. They have been called names, and made fun of, they have even been called the "n" word, something that they never heard another person say directly to them (its not like they never heard the word on t.v/movie/music), but never to them as a racist remark.

When this began I went to my youngest daughters school, and the kids there didn't believe that I was her mother, due to be light skinned. We look alike of course, but our skin tone does not match. I home school now, and dont have to worry about it as much, but this isn't just at school, this happens at a store when my kids will get some things on the list, they are watched, until we all come together on the checkout.

I wanted to make that above aware as to why I am writing this thread, and also why I decided to bring this to the table, as I feel this is something that we try not to discuss, because of either offending others, or peoples anger towards some races. But WTH, this is ATS, and we as adults can have a discussion without the hate, and see the social issues that concern everyone.

I decided to keep this a black and white thing, as this is more rampant, but if other races would like to add, or discuss the same that happens against others, please feel free. Also I decided to bring that problem from all sides, the racism that also happens to white people, and blacks, and even black people that look white. The videos I will present, will offend some of you, but when you think about it, its not directed towards ANYONE!! It is a form of dialog that we can research, and listen to and as adults share our opinions.

The first video, is from a 1990 episode of Donahue. I chose this video, as back then people were able to be more frank about this topic, and people spoke out better than they do today. Also I chose this as its a back and forth conversation where you can hear the sides of the audience, host and panel.

Blacks who pass for white (1 of 8)

Blacks who pass for white (2 of 8)

Blacks who pass for white (3 of 8)

The rest of the videos are on YT.

I chose the above videos because they are discussing many different subjects, as opposed to me posting videos that are more or less one sided. On the videos you will hear the voices of all people, including someone who was very famous at the time (Donahue).

Since the episode was aired there have been many difference's in the way that people are treated, and how "black" and "white" are understood in our culture today. IMHO deep down inside many feel this way, and unless we can have a discussion, and share our thought we will remain silently racist, from both sides.

I know that there even might be some of you that will maybe post something like "there is no color, we are all humans". Though this is true this is not the way people are treated (all races), in the year 2011.

So, by all means share, I would like to know how others feel about this, I would like this to be a thread that we can share how we feel, and even maybe some experiences that have been dealt with. I shared some of mine, as to show that I in no way want to offend, or start a problem, but to have a conversation in a place that I know opinions count.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your replies.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I see racism everyday and it is socially acceptable where I am from.. And it has nothing to do with skin color as you are suggesting. Nobody would understand unless they grew up here. We have racism between Slavs and Caucasians ( not "white" people, but the REAL meaning of a Caucasian, someone from the Caucasus ). Both Slavs and Caucasians are white, but Caucasians are mostly muslims who are short, black hair, dark eyes, etc. If you look like you are a Caucasian, you will NOT be getting into a club. You will not be getting into a nice restuarant. You will be stopped everyday on the street by a police officer and have your papers checked. And don't even think about touching a Slav woman if you're a Caucasian man, as this will lead to a brutal beating (just happened less than 2 weeks ago on the metro).

The stem of this hatred, here in Russia, is that people are annoyed with Caucasians: there are a lot of them , they are everywhere, they take jobs, they have irritating manners (rude to our women, spit in the street constantly, tend to litter, form gangs, attack Russians) and don't try and blend into society.... And, finally, Chechen wars and terrorist acts are still echoing in the minds of Russians.

It is almost like America's problem with Mexicans, except Mexico never attacked America in a terroristic way multiple times, and caused wars and American loss of life.

I have also seen many crazy things throughout my manditory military service that took place during the 2nd Chechnyan conflict. I do not wish to emphasize about it at this time, but wow..... some of the things they would consistently do to attack us were completely unethical concerning the welfare of children.

My mom was always a great person. She tried to teach me not to hate and discriminate. And I don't. But it can be very challenging at times.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

Thank you for your contribution. Though I dont know much about other countries, I know that racism is a worldwide problem. I'm sure that many are not hateful in their hearts, but due to stereotypes, media, and yes even certain people acting a certain way can get the ball rolling.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Having been born in an internment camp during ww2 when the u.s put japanese in camps my parents experienced racism more than I did.. Growing up and when was in the military there experienced it.. Always shrugged it off as was taught to by my parents.. Over the years during my travels around the world found it quite common in western countries for people to be racist. Personally always view racists as frightened primitives.. Everyone is human has family, friends, hopes, dreams, fears .. And from having put numerous people back together over the years of all races everyone is the same on the inside... Keep looking forward to the day when people learn that all are human and equal...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I wanted to add the rest of the videos, as they are in great detail or even more in detail the the first 3.

Blacks who pass for white (4 of 8)

Blacks who pass for white (5 of 8)

Blacks who pass for white (6 of 8)

Blacks who pass for white (7 of 8)

Blacks who pass for white (8 of 8)

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Thought I would give this a bump due to its importance.

Peace, NRE.

top topics

join