It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny spy planes could mimic birds, insects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Tiny spy planes could mimic birds, insects

news.yahoo.com

The Pentagon has poured millions of dollars into the development of tiny drones inspired by biology, each equipped with video and audio equipment that can record sights and sounds.
They could be used to spy, but also to locate people inside earthquake-crumpled buildings and detect hazardous chemical leaks.

The Pentagon asked AeroViroment develop a pocket-sized aircraft for surveillance and reconnaissance that mimicked biology. It could be anything, they said, from a dragonfly to a hummingbird.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hmm...I wonder if the government will use these to spy on their own people or if it will actually be used for constructive purposes?

Note: I did do a search under several different key words and phrases to see if this had been covered. I found only one, but the focus of it was not on the government involvement at all, and I would like to see that part of it discussed.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
King Herod lives again...and he is feeling a bit threatened.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
i guess we need to start squashing every little bug we see.
("pun intended")
and get our bb guns out and shot every little brid.

edit on 1-3-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Its too bad they often mimic UFO's instead.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This sounds like Big Brothers ultimate spying technology for watching is all the time, without us knowing!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RandalFlagg

Exactly. I don't understand why our privacy is completely disregarded.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by KayinAR

They have it, and will use it...

Monrovia firm AeroVironment has developed the Nano Hummingbird, an experimental
miniature drone that could one day do reconnaissance by landing on a window ledge.

Equipped with a camera, the drone can fly at speeds of up to 11 miles per hour, AeroVironment said. It can hover and fly sideways, backward and forward, as well as go clockwise and counterclockwise, by remote control for about eight minutes.

The quick flight meets the goals set forth by the government to build a flying "hummingbird-like" aircraft. It also demonstrates the promise of fielding mini-spy planes. Industry insiders see the technology eventually being capable of flying through open windows or sitting on power lines, capturing audio and video while enemies would be none the wiser.
www.latimes.com...

Of course, the key word there is "enemy"...and we all know who the enemy is now...right?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thanks for posting that video. This is only my second post, not counting my introduction, and I don't know how to do it all yet. That's the same video used on the other thread I found about this.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Researchers are even exploring ways to implant surveillance and other equipment into an insect as it is undergoing metamorphosis. They want to be able to control the creature.

Awesome.

When the biological/mechanical line is crossed though, there's no going back.. that's really the next step to a futuristic technology. Look out Johnny Mnemonic, here we come.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If one of these things fly by me, and I swat it down for being a nuisance, what will that mean for me?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

You will probably be arrested and sent to Abu Graibelomodom for destroying federal property, even if it's in your own bathroom shower.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Over the decades, the Monrovia, Calif.-based company has developed everything from a flying mechanical reptile to a hydrogen-powered plane capable of flying in the stratosphere and surveying an area larger than Afghanistan at one glance.

This is so scary. We know there are hummingbirds, dragonflies, insects, and apparently reptiles. How many more are there that we DON'T know about?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by KayinAR

Your welcome, and great first post!

You can auto insert usiing the VID:YOUTUBE button (blue) on the post tools bar.

That will give you a code wrap that looks like:
[yvid] _______[yvid]

Insert the video number, the YouTube video number
in the url address all of digits after the v=

Video Number looks like this : 7k_BzTu92Nc insert into the yvid wrap.

You should have an embedded video there.

More detailed instructions here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by KayinAR

Again, I am FAR more concerned about corporate involvement and the Global Corporate Government's efforts to protect it's "Free Trade" agreements, and terms, which neutralize individual rights and freedoms.

The Nano Hummingbird is kind of cool, but the project reminds me of Michael Chrichton's novel Prey.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Hey babe. I think that the government would mostly use these when there is a large amount of people. Like a protest. They have other means of monitoring individuals. Good find. Star and flag.
edit on 1-3-2011 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Thanks for the info! I'll try to use it in my next thread.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Thanks for giving my Youtube account a plug

That is only the tip of the iceberg IMO.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Thanks for giving my Youtube account a plug

That is only the tip of the iceberg IMO.

You serious?

Shameless

top topics

join