It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to go to church to be a Christian?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Do you have to go to a church to be a true Christian. I've heard a pastor say before that people that don't go to church aren't really Christians.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I thought it said somewhere that you were only to pray in Gods Church. (outside)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ArchIlluminatus

People going to most maiinstream churches cant call themselves christians either. However if you're wondring about what the bible says about the subject:

Hebrews 10:24-25 (New International Version, ©2010)

24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

When Moses spoke with God, did he go inside a Synagogue?

Your relationship with God is between you and "Him" !!!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Don't confuse doctrine with dogma.....

Assuming we share a general understanding of basic Christian faith, you must understand that it is the institution of the Church that created the 'rule' that you must attend the community's religious services....

The scripture seems to allow for the requirement to worship to be satisfied whenever there are two or more people gathered "in my name" - to paraphrase the scripture.....

I think the idea was that Christianity needs to be manifested between people as a community, and that worshiping alone is really more of an ascetic thing... hermits and saints you know...

But if two or more people discuss the scripture and Jesus and all that historical religious stuff "He will be among you" is the promise dogma provides...

So a "church" per se, isn't necessary... just desirable.

And a Church isn't a building, it is a gathering....

All the rest is institutional stuff meant to keep you dependent on the institution's hierarchy for affirmation.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

link   
It is all about "Relationship"...

Not "Religion".

link   

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by ArchIlluminatus
Do you have to go to a church to be a true Christian.

Sort of. Of course, it depends upon what you literally mean by "go to church".

I've heard a pastor say before that people that don't go to church aren't really Christians.

Well, there's a shock. [/sarcasm off] It's called "vested interest". If you ask a salesman if you need what he's selling, you need to consider his perspective when analyzing the response.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Do you have to go to church to be a Christian? No, but you do have to be a fool.

Spend a few hours researching the history of this religion. Between the plagiarism, the supreme unlikelihood of its characters ever having existed, the "miracles" that miraculously no longer occur, the brutality, the homophobia, the contradiction between the two testaments, the lack of any real morality and the foul state of corruption that is the modern church...and you've got one repugnant institution.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by theicc

So one should practice religion solitary?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by theicc

Or you could simply ask yourself whether you have faith in your heart.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't mean to offend or be confrontational so if you become inclined to let loose it's on you... but

The OP makes a simple question which has nothing to do with how you or others feel about the faith itself. It sort of makes your post Off-Topic... unless you intend to make this about your opinion of faith in general - which would be a rude way to hijack a thread about a simple question.

I suggest if you wish to characterize this or any other faith by the measure of your reasoning you start a thread about it.... but remember..... by your measure of deeds, no institution of man should be supported ever .. since they have all failed to be wholesome - saintly - and perfect.

edit on 1-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Do you have to go to a church to be a true Christian. I've heard a pastor say before that people that don't go to church aren't really Christians.

It depends how you define "church". Meeting with other believers is something that the Word tells us not to neglect.

With that said, if a believer quits going to church that doesn't remove Christ from the cross. We are saved by what HE did, not anything we have done. However, it's easier to grow in a church environment and it's always good to have other believers to be accountable to.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
the world is where the lord rests his feet, so how big would a church need to be to be the house of the lord?

Being christian just means you're a follower of christ, it has nothing to do with churches, or gatherings.

I was born christian but i don't consider myself to be one, i don't affiliate myself with any religion. God is inside all of us, and you don't need a church or a religion to understand God.

Like i've said many times before, God isn't in a book.
edit on 1-3-2011 by gallopinghordes because: by member's request for accuracy.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
From the gospel of Thomas: (one of the books suspiciously omitted from the bible)

..".Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."

There is the church.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

What is "suspicious" about the books omission? It wasn't written by the apostle Thomas, it was a work from the 3rd-4th century. The church categorically rejected books written under false names.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

There are some truly wonderful pastors out there. There are also some truly horrible ones. Consider that the pastor's lively hood depends on people going to church - in specific - going to his church. That can easily sway a pastor's thoughts..

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
From the gospel of Thomas: (one of the books suspiciously omitted from the bible)

..".Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."

There is the church.

I was just about to quote that passage before I read your reply. Spot on!

If everyone can recall, Jesus never preached at a synagogue or church. When he was actually in a temple he was in a rage and chastised the merchants, money changers, and the going ons in the "house of God."

Jesus taught in small homes, in the streets, at social gatherings, and outdoors in nature; never in a church.
You need to go to church to keep preacher's wallet filled.
Jesus Would Kick Your Preacher's Ass!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Can't imagine why one would have to. If you're a Christian, why not go right to the source and ask Christ? Seems like the most accurate way to me.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Not true. Jesus began His ministry teaching at the synagogue, He read a chapter in Isaiah.

edit on 2-3-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Thanks for correcting me

I should have said that Jesus did most of his teaching at places other than synagogues.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join