It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

An idea for a better democratic government.

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hi, I'm from Canada, QC. (So sorry my English, I'm French Canadian)

I feel our democracy is not really one (No big news). Especially when you have a majority government, like it is the case in Québec right now. The government can get away with anything they want, and create laws to force public workers to go back to work in case of a strike. And It is corrupted in every way.

An example of a frequent corruption in Québec: Government wants to make a big construction project. Construction companies will get together, and tell each other: Alright, it's time for Joe LaBrick to have the contract this time. They all bid 10 times the actual cost, and Joe Labrick bid 9 times. Government pick the lowest one. Or in some case, receive bride from those companies. This is corruption in every possible way, down to every branch of the project.

Then the government refuses to make a public commission about it, because it knows it's in fault. But they are majority and they don't give a **** because they know people are too lazy to go protest outside at -30°C. Myself included.

If you don't like it, you can pick the "other" party at the next elections. Which is not better. I'm talking about both provincial and federal of course.

My solution is to remove parties. Because a party it's like a big corporation, that shakes a lot of money. Where there is money and power, there is corruption and greediness. You should vote for the person that represent you. Everybody becomes 'independent'. There is no party associated with them. You really vote for the person you want to represent you in your area. Because as it is right now, you vote for the person to represent you, but people don't see that. They only see the party, and ignore the basics of it. Because anyway that person will follow the party's agenda.

Then, you vote a second pass on the elected to pick the ministers, then the prime minister that will oversee the ministers. Every law that is proposed need to be voted by the public. The population get to chose, not the government.

That makes a lot of voting, but using internet it can be done very efficiently nowadays. You can receive a law vote request on your cell phone, then you just have to vote right there. I haven't thought about all security problems related to this, let's assume the system is well thought and secure.

Then every law or election have a window of a couple month for the defenders of the idea to express themselves, or people against it. Otherwise people don't really know what they are voting for.

And I think the democracy system coming out of Egypt/Tunisia might be better than what we get here, because it's really the people's will there to manager their own country...

Anyway, all this might be a bad idea, but I feel as a citizen here that I have absolutely no control over anything. Government, Corporations, etc. But I am the one working my ass off to pay for all this.

Thoughts?




posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I would only comment that electronic voting legitimizes corruption. Corruption and vote tampering will exist without it but with electronic voting (cell phone voting) it would just become socially acceptable.



posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Why would you want a democracy in the first place? 51% telling the other 49% what they can and can't do, what they must and musn't do?

Doesn't sound like liberty to me.

But welcome to ATS.



new topics
 
1

log in

join