It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Market dips as Saudi Arabia sends tanks to Bahrain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Market dips as Saudi Arabia sends tanks to Bahrain

citywire.co.uk

The Saudi Arabia stock exchange fell nearly 500 points or over 5% after a local news agency reported Saudi tanks were heading to neighbouring Bahrain while other reports suggested unrest in the kingdom was picking up momentum.

Many analysts believe if the cost of oil climbs and stays at around the $120 per barrel level global growth will slow. Commentators point out that soaring oil prices have often been a precursor to recession in the US in the past.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Here we go... oil again!
Oil may be one of the central focuses of what's going on in the middle east.

It's not the only one that's for sure, but it very well may be one of them.

I made another thread earlier about how everything that is happening will create a surge in oil prices and that seems to be exactly what is happening.

World Govt. may be another goal of all of this.

Fund & arm the dictators, make the people rise up with fake online personas and create mass turmoil in the middle and then you come as the savior.

citywire.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Commentators point out that soaring oil prices have often been a precursor to recession in the US in the past.

So if we are already in a recession, and that we see as truth, would this be a precursor to the ultimate " crash " of the market sending us spiraling into another depression?

I'm not very knowledgeable with the stocks and the market, to confusing. But I wonder what will happen regardless?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
So did the Saudi royals pay off the peasants with that 38 billion they mentioned about a week ago? I think it was more of a pacifier than and actual promise. Even if they fully committed to the bribe, what would keep the people from revolting regardless?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Oil may be one of the central focuses of what's going on in the middle east.

It's my understanding that the protestors are the unemployed poor, standing up against regimes created by shady deals with Western Corporations, and against Global Corporate Government, which neutralizes individual rights and freedoms.

...Am I misinformed?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

WHAT ? This makes NO sense, why is Saudi Arabia sending tanks to Bahrain... I mean are they handing them to the governing bodies of Bahrain for them to use? I could understand that without much difficulty, but sending tanks into Bahrain under Saudi flags would be .... unprecedented. Bahrain is an absolute monarchy , ruled by Shaikh Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, and unless he has requested these tanks be bought in, this manouvre seems derogatory at best, and warlike at worst.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I think they are just lending them to Bahrain so they can squash the protests. I wonder if we will all see tanks on all our streets before this is all finished.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by coffeesniffer

If the tanks are being sent via the King Fahd cause way , then I hope the protesters get wind of it, and block or destroy the causeway and quick. The last thing anyone needs is a government which has the power to prevent protest.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Witnesses said that the causeway was blocked as "15 tank carriers carrying two tanks each were heading towards Bahrain," Egypt s al-Masry al-Youm daily reported in its latest edition.

Given the popular protests in the Persian Gulf kingdom, the transfer of the military hardware from Saudi Arabia to Bahrain seems highly unusual, commuters traveling along the 25-km causeway said.

The development follows a decision by the Bahraini military on Saturday to withdraw their vehicles out of the capital s Pearl Square after a deadly police attack on protesters, a condition the opposition had set to begin talks.

The arrival of tanks from Saudi Arabia also occurs on the eve of yet another scheduled pro-democracy rally on Tuesday organized by the Bahraini opposition and protesters in Manama s flashpoint Pearl Square.

Massive protests in Bahrain, which hosts the US Navy s Fifth Fleet in the region, have shown no sign of a decline after almost two weeks.

Fears of Saudi intervention in the ongoing Bahraini uprising first came to the fore last week when unconfirmed reports emerged on Wednesday.

Saudi officials had reportedly told US authorities that they were "prepared to intervene" should such a move prove necessary to protect Bahrain s embattled government.

milaz.info...
edit on 3/1/2011 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is a very interesting video from one of my new favorite journalist Paul Mason. He has been doing some great coverage of the revolutions taking place.

Uprisings have already inspired change in Egypt and Tunisia and revolutionary contagion is a well-established phenomenon, but could places such as Saudi Arabia, Iran and China really be next?

Newsnight's Paul Mason has been examining what factors are involved in a modern day revolution.

www.bbc.co.uk... link

also worth a read about the implications of the oil price rise's. www.bbc.co.uk...

Brent Crude today has reached $119 a barrel. It is of scant concern to those fighting for their lives in Libya, or to maintain and extend democracy in the rest of the Arab world, but there are now clear economic risks arising from this power-shift in the Middle East, and they're starting to filter through to investment decisions.

Here's the main danger:
> the conflict spreads, temporarily choking off supplies
> speculators pile in (there are 2.5x the number of call options to put options on oil futures markets right now)
> this drives the price up towards where it ended up in 2008 - around the $150 mark
> and this chokes off the recovery leading to an oil price slump and a commodity price slump

edit on 1-3-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join