It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bring back blasphemy laws.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You know the part that I found truly hilarious in all this is the user's name. Xerxes. So they are spouting off Christian propoganda but there name is Xerxes.. Makes you wonder why they would name themselves after a guy that was a ruler of Persia and probably the farthest from Christian that you can get.

Xerxes

Not to mention his post is a form of blasphme in itself. Thou shall not judge comes to mind as they are judging anyone that doesn't follow into his doctrine etc.
edit on 3/1/2011 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
People like you and the vatican give religious people a bad name. I think youre definitely on the wrong website if you expect people to agree with you. Religion is a tool for control, we all know that here.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Matthew 7:2

You should keep your opinions about such laws to your self.............And guess what I am not a christian but this verse serves its purpose!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
HA! Just for this post...

In nomine Dei nostri Satanas Luciferi excelsi!

SHEMHAMFORASH! HAIL SATAN!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
OP hates gay people AND spews bogus religious hate speech. I smell a westboro... See ya, I'm outta here.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

lol yup still here i have yet to be smote...

so as a direct test I have proven that there is no god...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

lol yup still here i have yet to be smote...

so as a direct test I have proven that there is no god...

It's not as if I want to defend any religious positions, so this is just nitpicking for the fun of it:

It could be that this alleged god is completely disinterested in his alleged creation. Maybe he gave up on this one as a failed experiment, and let enthropy finish it off, as this is more cost-effective than demolition.

(There are ofcourse several other options, but they will fall beyond topic).

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

you may have a point there...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This is just wildly speculative and may be completely ignored, but don't we have blasphemy "Laws" now? Powerful and enforced "laws" against criticizing a religious figure?

When was the last time you saw a picture of Mohammed? Remember the cartoons which resulted in the death of a man involved? Remember the Ivy league school which prepared a book on the subject of the cartoons and the accompanying death threats, but was so severely threatened they had to leave the cartoons out of the book? Sure we had a preacher down south threaten to burn a copy of the Koran, but even President Obama got involved in that one and the book was never burned.

It might not be in the statute books, but I think a case could be made that America has adopted a blasphemy "law."

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Xerxes1434

One of the most common statements from the "Religious Right" is that they want this country to "return to the Christian principles on which it was founded". However, a little research into American history will show that this statement is a lie. The men responsible for building the foundation of the United States had little use for Christianity, and many were strongly opposed to it. They were men of The Enlightenment, not men of Christianity. They were Deists who did not believe the bible was true.

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved-- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"
-letter to Thomas Jefferson from John Adams

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole cartloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity." John Adams

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced an inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."
- "Notes on Virginia" Thomas Jefferson

"On the dogmas of religion, as distinguished from moral principles, all mankind, from the beginning of the world to this day, have been quarreling, fighting, burning and torturing one another, for abstractions unintelligible to themselves and to all others, and absolutely beyond the comprehension of the human mind."
Thomas Jefferson

"It has been fifty and sixty years since I read the Apocalypse, and then I considered it merely the ravings of a maniac."
Thomas Jefferson

"The truth is, that the greatest enemies of the doctrine of Jesus are those, calling themselves the expositors of them, who have perverted them to the structure of a system of fancy absolutely incomprehensible, and without any foundation in his genuine words. And the day will come, when the mystical generation [birth] of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation [birth] of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."
- to John Adams, Apr. 11, 1823 from Thomas Jefferson

Need more?

edit on 1-3-2011 by magilla because: none

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I have read a number of your posts and I can't decide if you are for real or an agent provacateur. Sadly I suspect that you truly believe the silliness that you are posting. How very sad. You might want to switch to posting at RaptureReady.com where you will be among your fellow travelers on the delusional Bible trail.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

If I mock your god, please realize I mock your mediocre mind a great deal more.

I have no beliefs at all - I do not believe in anything (regarding physical reality) - because as human beings we cannot know anything. We experience 'reality' second hand, through our senses, and then interpreted by our mind.

If I put some apples in a paper bag - you can't tell how many apples there are, you can't even tell if it contains apples. A piece of brown paper foils the great and mighty man - who thinks he knows everything. Even if you can see the apples, you don't know how many - even if you hold them in your hand - you don't know if they are good or rotten. You don't know what comprises them, you don't know anything about apples.

Man knows nothing - how can he assume to know god - whether he exists or doesn't - and what he might like or dislike?
edit on 1-3-2011 by Amagnon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xerxes1434

Massachusetts, Michigan, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Wyoming, and Pennsylvania have laws that make reference to blasphemy.[1] Some US states still have blasphemy laws on the books from the founding days. For example, Chapter 272 of the Massachusetts General Laws — a provision based on a similar colonial era Massachusetts Bay statute enacted in 1697 — states:

Section 36. Whoever willfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, His creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.

The history of Maryland's blasphemy statutes suggests that even into the 1930s, the First Amendment was not recognized as preventing states from passing such laws. An 1879 codification of Maryland statutes prohibited blasphemy:

Art. 72, sec. 189. If any person, by writing or speaking, shall blaspheme or curse God, or shall write or utter any profane words of and concerning our Saviour, Jesus Christ, or of and concerning the Trinity, or any of the persons thereof, he shall, on conviction, be fined not more than one hundred dollars, or imprisoned not more than six months, or both fined and imprisoned as aforesaid, at the discretion of the court.

Blasphemy laws should come back into effect and be NATIONAL. People that criticize and mock God, Christ, and or the Bible should be put in prison for a maximum of 30 years and all their property seized.

This country is going to bring the wrath of God down on itself because people have no respect or fear of God. You mock him now but you'll cry out to him when his judgement falls down on us.

I Disagree pointless rant deleted.

edit on 1-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I'm a firm believer in keeping God's laws by all means, the ones that apply to me at this time, and I believe that the world would be in a much better situation if the world did, as well...

...but, they don't, and they never have. Maybe you should spend more time turning the other cheek rather then brandishing the rod.

And, I must disagree with you...America was NOT founded on Christianity, in fact most of the founding fathers were Freemasons and the 'elite' of the time wanted to create the 'New Atlantis' on this continent.

Many were deists...in their eyes the world is the creation of an impersonal 'god' who was quite uninterested in personal relationships and who left the affairs of this world to be handled by men.

Now, while the majority of folks did keep the nominal laws they thought were important, (oh, say the last third of the Book) and called on God and declared His Son, this nation *was* protected and blessed.

Now, lawlessness is king and society is reaping the bitter harvest of their labors.

You'll never get anywhere legislating morality to a people bent on self-will and your attention would be better placed somewhere else...like loving your neighbor...and stop stirring up s#it with your punitive measures and take another look at Messiah's true instructions for you.

edit on 1-3-2011 by czygyny because: composition and punctuation error

edit on 1-3-2011 by czygyny because: poor proofreading

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Totally! Oh wait, that darn Constitution keeps us from oppressing other religions!

Seriously, if you don't like what they say, don't talk with them. They have every right to deny your god, just as much as you have a right to praise him.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by czygyny

Just a small little point. There seems to be no evidence that a majority of the founding fathers were Masons. After checking several sources it seems that no more than 27% (at most) of the signers of the Declaration were Masons. Just trying to help in case you need it some day.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

can you post some sources? Id like to check that out, better be informed from all sides if I ever use the mason case(?)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by czygyny

Just a small little point. There seems to be no evidence that a majority of the founding fathers were Masons. After checking several sources it seems that no more than 27% (at most) of the signers of the Declaration were Masons. Just trying to help in case you need it some day.

Point well taken.

You may be right, many may not have been and I do not have the research at this point to back that up...but then as now...it seems that if you want to be a mover and shaker in the world you need to be involved in these societies.

I do know that George Washington was a Mason. This painting shows him in his lambskin apron and other symbols of Masonry.

George Washington painting

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
P.S. I am sleepy and ready for some shut eye, but I couldn't let it go without a little digging...

Here is a handy list of former masonic presidents. I didn't give a through looky-see, but it seems well informed.

Masonic Presidents

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
So if someone commits blashpemy,why not forgive them? You are christian right? Turn the other cheek? Who gives you the power to judge?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join