It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart worker burns self to death in parking lot

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Wal-Mart worker burns self to death in parking lot

archive.chicagobreakingnews.com...

A 58-year-old Wal-Mart employee who said he "couldn't take it anymore" lit himself on fire in a parking lot near the Bloomingdale store where he worked late Thursday night and was later pronounced dead at a hospital, authorities said this morning.

In an interview, his son said his father went to work last night with nothing seeming out of the ordinary. "This had nothing to do with the economy. I want to make that clear," he said, adding that the family may never know the reason for the public
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-3-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

Wal-mart has so many shady ties to the corrupt eugenicist get-wealthy-by helping-us mob, that they are pretty much a perfect tool to pull out any of these MK ULTRA mind control operations out anywhere in or around a Wal-Mart.

Don't be surprised if you see any more Wal-Mart Headliners, cause that's exaactly what they want, they just don't want you to know how staged t hese operations are.

Most likely, they even had a ton of t heir own plants working at that Walmart.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

in all honesty, I think he just snapped and had a 'screw it all' moment. something pushed him OVER the edge that was probably eating at him for some time... maybe a rude customer, or a horrible boss... but obviously it was something that caused him to snap... what made him snap? we wont know... People kill themselves all the time! this made the news because... well it was a major supermarket employee and happened to commit suicide on their property.

If he did this at home, i doubt we would of never heard about it.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I work there. It's that bad. I feel sorry for the guy, someone must of pissed him off, or pushed him over the endge... but now since i told you how bad it is...

Now Im afraid the big blue blackhawks with the starburst on the side will come flying in and the Wal-Mart special forces will take me away to listen to Sam Walton and the Wal-Mart CEOs talk about how good the company is at some Wal-Mart reducation camp.

But to be serious. The company cares little for its employees. Little by little ive seen all the good stripped away for the sake of the dollar. From the amount of days you can miss in a 6 month period (Which is 3) before you get talked to about your attendance to some ridiculous amount of profit your store must make. You cant really understand until you work for them. Its horrible.
edit on 3/1/2011 by PhoenixAlpha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by zappafan1

Originally posted by leaualorin
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Instead of setting fire to these (AT LEAST) , he kills himself...
F that...
no sense whatsoever!

S.ROBSON WALTON 19.7 BILLION $
JIM WALTON 20.1 BILLION $
CHRISTY WALTON 24 BILLION $
ALICE WALTON 20 BILLION $
HELEN WALTON 16.4 BILLION $

REPLY: Yeah.... that's the ticket. Let's kill those and other self-made millionaires who achieved the American Dream, provide jobs and sign paychecks, and pay for about 70% of our taxes. What a bitter, non-intelligent excuse for a human. Wait.... he's a Wal Mart employee but he works somewhere else?

Those who actually succeed in committing suicide, or make a serious attempt, have serious mental issues that never before became evident or had not been addressed by a professional.

edit on 1-3-2011 by zappafan1 because: Added content

Yeah! Pass me that Walton piss bucket when it gets to heavy -

Self made inheritors of a giant infrastructure that outsources Americas money by the billions, true heros!

The Walton family ensures that healthcare is socialized, that we have to pay for it.

Maybe this fellow did not wanna be a Marxist or carry the piss around anymore.

I hope he feels better now where ever he is!
edit on 1-3-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

To be honest, I have worked for Wal Mart twice. Once, in my early twenties, as a customer service manager (for about a year) and in late 2007 (for 89 days) as a "people greeter".

Yes, the jerks threw me on the front door. Twenty-seven years of (mostly management) experience - and only 41 years old, and they gave me the position traditionally held by the uber elderly and mentally challenged. But, not being a person who is too proud to work, I stuck with it, figuring I'd eventually merit my way into something better. As it turns out, I was fired on the last day of my "probationary period" because I'd missed two days during my first 90 - because I'd had an accident and broken my wrist. I missed one day because of the accident and hospital visit. Another for a follow-up doctors appointment to determine if I would have to have surgery on my arm or not.

I know what people are thinking here... "If you got fired, the wrist was an excuse. But the reality was that you were a poor employee or had some other, unmentioned issues.". I can relate. After a lifetime in retail and manufacturing gigs, I've seen a lot of that. But it really isn't the case. I have only had two jobs, in my entire life, where I did not walk in the door, entry level, and get promoted into management within 6 or 7 months. I take work very seriously and have an outstanding work ethic. I don't bring personal issues in the front door, period. The woman who terminated me did so by pointing to a manual that said "Missing any time during the first 90 days of service is grounds for termination" and said "I'm very sorry, but the GM has a 'rules are rules' policy and there are no exceptions to any rules here."

My question and glaring indictment, at that point, was to say "Funny. You didn't fire me a month ago when I MISSED those two days. You waited to the very last day of my probationary period. You took advantage and kept me around until I would have merited a raise. I bet this is a pattern." And it probably is as my local Wal Mart has a few familiar faces, and an army of revolving door labor.

Anyway. I don't think most people who haven't worked at Wal Mart can understand the stress involved. Wal Mart customers tend to be highly abusive towards the employees. Being treated like a non-person is one thing. But being screamed at for things you have no control over, and degraded... well that is a different story altogether and it is a common occurrence at Wal Mart. And Wal Mart policy is that only managers have the "right" to say anything even remotely defensive or non-supportive to customers. If a customer gets in your face, calls you every name in the book, and threatens to follow you home and kill your kids - all because the lines at checkout are too long? Your choices are to smile and brush it off, call a manager (who will be pissed you bothered them over a "simple" customer venting issue), or lose your job. And, yes, my last stint at Wal Mart I did have a customer threaten to kill my family. Fortunately I am one of those people who doesn't have to speak to show my disdain. My eyes and facial expression, apparently, talk a lot.

But, to bring this all into topic...

Imagine being middle aged, unemployed, and finally finding a job at Wal Mart. Your entire work history and experience pool is ignored and not respected. Whoever you are or used to be is irrelevant. Now you are a nametag and have no individual identity. Maybe one or two of your seven or eight bosses even bothers to learn your name. None will ever ask you about your personal life or bother to find out if you have a spouse or kids. You receive minimum wage, or close to it, and get a schedule that is called "full time" but is scarcely ever more than 30 hours. And it is a variable schedule - different shifts on different days, with no pattern, so you can't really get a second job to help with your finances. And all these things just so you can become an object of public abuse and ridicule on a daily basis - abuse which you are powerless to even defend yourself against.

This is the model and future of work in America for the middle class. And what I have said here is probably a peek into the stresses that this man was under when he made this decision.

Lofty people will say "Any idiot can work in customer service" and they write it off as a lazy persons job. I always laugh when this happens because the reality is that office dwellers really have no idea just how stressful "no brainer" jobs can be. I've worked in both worlds and will take an office any day of the week over working in retail or food service.

(Sorry Ugie, this was in response to your post, but in no way is it directed at you my friend!
)

~Heff

edit on 3/1/11 by Hefficide because: clarification

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Halfway through that post I thought you were grilling me!

But I get it though. You just expanded on what I was trying to say and pretty much summed it up with how horrible Wal-Mart employees get treated by the management itself, and the customers. I was guessing, and guessed right... sort of.

As I said, this guy just had enough and lost it. I am glad you kept your gas in the tank and didn't lose it like this guy did! I guess you are right in a way that he had an underlying mental issue that he kept well hidden from his family.... but the stress itself from holding it in for a long time could of been the cause of his mental break. We will never know though.

(This post is in agreement with your post my friend!)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Seriously, work in retail for a few years. It'll be hard NOT to kill yourself.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Wow on fire and still threw the coats off that is very strange because the pain should have been so unbearable he would have wanted the fire out suicidel or not you would think.

I have been on fire before, you don't feel it for about 5 to 10 minutes.....while it is extremely scary being on fire, you would most likely be dead before you actually felt the pain from being on fire like like this guy was.
After that 5 minute period though, very painful.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I normally just lurk on this web site... but I wanted soooo badly to share my 2 cents that I joined today!

My father worked for Wal Mart for 25 years. Missed his children growing up, sacrificed all his free time, and never had time for his wife. The good ol' Walton family (Because you know there all about family!) worked my dad on salary then expected him to be there 24/7. His work loud was so demanding he would be there from 6a.m. one day into 6 a.m. the next day. He worked at at least 2 of the bigger Wal Marts. They were total crap before he went in and cleaned them up and turned sales around. His employees adored him. He always said, "The key to a happy store is happy Employees." Constantly reading self help books to better his managing skills. He never took sick days.

Then he got a GM that had a stick up his rear. The GM got so jealous when he found out that my dad made more than him (My father was with Wal Mart longer, thus bigger check. He had also turned down the GM promotion to stay close to his family) that he nit picked him till his was able to get enough write-ups to get him fired.

So just like that my dad went from upper class, to dirt poor in a matter of years. Unable to find a job (Wal Mart being his only job, EVER) he had to draw from his savings. Our mother left him because he became very unstable and depressed. He would call every day to the corporate office asking if anything had opened up, in hopes of even getting re-hired so at least he had steady income. Nothing ever opened up...

He finally got a decent job, but still just isn't the same. He thinks of all he gave up to making a better future for us.. now he doesn't even get his retirement. They even made him go to hell and back just to get a few wimpy unemployment checks.

I'm so happy he is trying his best to get through this. I know its eats at him inside and we are all so thankful his case didn't end like this one. You never know what you would do until you are faced with the situation. I hope that poor mans family has found peace...And as for those Walton goons... Karma is a bitch.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by zappafan1

They arent self made billionaires. They are heirs.

What a horrible thing. It is such an odd way to commit suicide too. I hope there is more to follow with this story in terms of understanding the guys motive.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

This is very sad, and also reflective of the current state of affairs here in the United States. As well as having everything to do with the Economy.

Here we have a 58 year old man, who's worked most of his adult life. Now instead of looking forward to a safe and secure retirement in the near future, was now working the night shift stocking shelves at Walmart ?

This is reflective of the prevailing employment trend here in America .....the Under Employed.
People close to retirement are being let go to save the companies from having to pay their retirement benefits.

Those unfortunate People are accepting lower paying jobs just to get by until they can find something better. But the jobs aren't out there. Especially for someone with years of experience.

It's certainly no surprise that this poor soul " Couldn't take it any longer"

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by fetidchimp
reply to post by Char-Lee

Wow on fire and still threw the coats off that is very strange because the pain should have been so unbearable he would have wanted the fire out suicidel or not you would think.

I have been on fire before, you don't feel it for about 5 to 10 minutes.....while it is extremely scary being on fire, you would most likely be dead before you actually felt the pain from being on fire like like this guy was.
After that 5 minute period though, very painful.

Wow! Scary! Well I can't bear a tiny burn on my finger! glad pain does not kick in for a while...so horrible!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Self immolation is suicide with a statement; usually political, religious, or cultural struggles are the motives for this type of suicide. It is an extreme form of protest...very odd that someone would choose do this without giving a reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join