It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Group Launches Scholarship For White Males Only

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Just a little history lesson for you: can you guess where the whites got those natives and Africans? Here, let me help you out. They bought them from the natives and the Africans!

That isn't fully accurate.

They also bought slaves from slave traders, like the Portuguese for example, who routinely captured and kidnapped Africans and later sold them in other Countries.

It's also documented history, but not really on point with this thread.
Slavery shouldn't even come up in here.

What is more relevant to the topic is the current inequalities in America across race and gender lines, and whether or not there is an actual NEED for a Whites only scholarship. Which seems to have been created just to make a point.

As I said in my earlier post, White males aren't in desperate need of a White-Males-Only scholarship as compared to the minorities in this Country. They earn more than their female/minority-counterparts for the same jobs, aren't as deeply affected by unemployment and poverty as their minority counterparts, nor are they academically underrepresented in Colleges.

When it comes to education, White males just aren't the ones overwhelmingly struggling to meet the financial needs of most Colleges when compared to most people of color.

It's like the people asking why if there is a B.E.T. (Black Entertainment Television, which is owned by White males btw), do we not have a W.E.T.? Even though it has been mentioned, acknowledged, and reported countless times, that most major TV networks predominately feature Whites in news, programing, shows, and most other features they broadcast.

Major TV in America is already predominately White, so there is no need to at "White" to the title of the networks.
More White males are in college than Black males. A lot more actually, and it breaks down to the fact that they can simply afford it.

They don't need a scholarship just for them, as much as a Black male would.

It all just kind of seems obvious to me, but again this scholarship is born more out of a stunt than anything else.
I just don't even see the need to discuss it too much. I'm hesitant to even contribute when "slavery" comes into the issue.

A lot of these sort of controversial stunts are simply here to keep the Country angry, and divided.

It works.

- Lee

edit on 3-3-2011 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
No scholarship should ever be given out on either a coloured based or minority based(sex or age) princapal.
If that was the the case,
Then the first College to come up with a scholarship for an Hungarian-Transylvanian-Scottish, born and bread in Australia, with australian, and italian, german born uncles and aunties,
then scholarship is Mine, All Mine.
Because Im a Minority, I am.
How fair is that?
Its not, Is It?
These Coloured based Ideals are leading humanity down the wrong path of enlightenment.
They are dividing us all as human.
Hand out these scholarships to the ones that need it, regardless of their Race.

PS we should have these Scholarships handed out by a Blind Person,
at least they wouldn't judge by colour.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FoosM

I believe you are looking at this situation emotionally and not logically. Why would someone use inferior knowledge to study and or learn by? I am not Greek, nor European, but I know that the knowledge they teach is more advanced than what you will learn in an African or third world country 'college' or learning establishment, whatever... Go study with an African medicine man for 8 years, then see how well you fare in a modern hospital dealing with patients. Stop taking it so personal... just because knowledge isn't based from your race or another, does not mean anything racist.

The fact is; some cultures are more advanced than others, and that should be the knowledge you seek. Not outdated or incorrect information. I don't care about anyone's history... I care about what this world will be like tomorrow. And that is what we should all care about. Yes; it is important to learn from the past, to keep from repeating the same mistakes, but it is MUCH more important for us to establish an ULTIMATE goal for ALL mankind so that we can ALL move forward TOGETHER.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

I think your letting your own racial and gendered biases cloud your reasoning abilities.

www.americanthinker.com...
www.ncpa.org...
www.nccp.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
voices.washingtonpost.com...
blackoncampus.com...

So now it is clear two points of your ignorant rant against white males has been debunked(gender gap and that "whites have money")

But heck why should you be bothered with facts when you don't get that their will always be more white males then black males in college enrollment( Whites make up 70% of the population.. Blacks like 13%, do the math dummy!).

Originally posted by lee anoma

As I said in my earlier post, White males aren't in desperate need of a White-Males-Only scholarship as compared to the minorities in this Country. They earn more than their female/minority-counterparts for the same jobs, aren't as deeply affected by unemployment and poverty as their minority counterparts, nor are they academically underrepresented in Colleges.

Now go back to those links up above and find the one where it paints out that almost 40% of Whites are poor. It is nothing to be proud of, in-fact poverty is just about the most shameful state of being for Caucasians.
Now let's see, for being white=0 financial help(unless your lucky to be born into a rich family your stuck paying your own way, because even if your parents are decent off they got bills too).

But if your white+female you have access to= www.collegescholarships.org... , www.radiology-schools.com...

Black male+female= www.4blackyouth.com... (keep in mind there are more whites in severe poverty then blacks)

Just for giggles let's look at Hispanic financial grants and aid for higher education: www.hsf.net... .

And those "job's" everyone is harping about, are gone. And if they do come back they will pay garbage wages. But heck everyone wants to feel the buzz from being bigot's(the bully buzz) and labeled "white" males as the pinata. And you expect me to fall for your:

A lot of these sort of controversial stunts are simply here to keep the Country angry, and divided.

It is ignorant people like you who keep this nation divided, because you would rather live in a make believe world than accept the reality of the situation(P.S as for TV, TV= a woman's entertainment media mostly. The percentage of guy's of any race watching are at all time low's).

As the old saying goes "Hate begets hate..." and the circle will just keep going round and round and round some more.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Just an interesting anecdote.

I have a good friend that went to high school in south Texas. She was, quite literally, the only white kid in her graduating class. She was also the only one to not get a race-based scholarship for college.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by jam321

I see no issue anyway..
We have many Scholarships and grants etc here in Australia that are only available to Aborigines..
I see no difference..

Well it is true that White Males lag far behind minorities in America in terms of education, wealth, and employment.

If you look at the actual numbers, more White males are in prison than in college, are less likely to graduate high school, and in terms of unemployment, the numbers rank double digits by comparison to their non-White counterparts. A lack of equal footing in terms of economic status usually holds them back from the better aspects of higher education. Mostly due to generational poverty, as opposed to say minorities, who usually outnumber them in the more popular college settings.

There is a dire need for a Whites-Only scholarship when you look at all the facts.
Whites just tend to be underrepresented all across the board.

Wait...no, that's not the case at all.
In fact, it's the exact opposite of what I said.

Sorry, I left the real world for a minute.

- Lee

edit on 1-3-2011 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2011 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

"That's not the case at all; in fact, it's the opposite."

Oh, and just whose fault is that anyway? Mine?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I'm a white male and I had no trouble at all getting a very nice scholarship to a good university.

My secret was to study hard, make good grades, play a sport well and actually apply for the scholarship and not wait for one to be awarded to me.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
All for this. If there can be such a thing as African American scholarships there is no reason the same shouldn't be allowed for Whites. Its discrimination if it isn't allowed.
edit on 11-4-2011 by SparklingNugs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SparklingNugs

A simple google search will bring up page after page of scholarship applications that have no color barrier.

If you don't apply for them and thus don't get one....it's not the fault of anyone but yourself. Don't blame it on the favoritism of Black people.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Sounds fair to me. Blacks and females get this type of special treatment all of the time and white males dare not speak of it because...ummmm, blacks and females of today have been so oppressed and sold into slavery I guess. Or is it that they have been riding the coat tails of their dead ancestors and getting paid mad ends for something that blacks and females of today had nothing "personally" to do with.....yet somehow they feel they are owed special attention for what has happened to people they never even knew simply because of their skin color or gender. Slavery...long gone....feminists and lack of freedom for women....long gone. Stop thinking you're special for an era you had nothing to do with. You blacks and you females deserve NOTHING more than white men. If you can have schools specialized to suit your coclor or gender ..SO CAN WE ! Smoke on that, tax leechers. If you want to truly reward those who deserve it, dig up Martin Luther king, Harriet Tubman and the like and some feminists (whoever tey were.....hmmmph) and we will give them their rewards, but no one today who never went through slavery or oppression deserves anything.......the path that the forefathers of oppression paved for you called FREEDOM......is reward enough. Feminists don't even deserve that in my opinion.
edit on 25-4-2011 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Just a little history lesson for you: can you guess where the whites got those natives and Africans? Here, let me help you out. They bought them from the natives and the Africans!

That isn't fully accurate.

They also bought slaves from slave traders, like the Portuguese for example, who routinely captured and kidnapped Africans and later sold them in other Countries.

It's also documented history, but not really on point with this thread.
Slavery shouldn't even come up in here.

What is more relevant to the topic is the current inequalities in America across race and gender lines, and whether or not there is an actual NEED for a Whites only scholarship. Which seems to have been created just to make a point.

When it comes to education, White males just aren't the ones overwhelmingly struggling to meet the financial needs of most Colleges when compared to most people of color.

It's like the people asking why if there is a B.E.T. (Black Entertainment Television, which is owned by White males btw), do we not have a W.E.T.? Even though it has been mentioned, acknowledged, and reported countless times, that most major TV networks predominately feature Whites in news, programing, shows, and most other features they broadcast.

Major TV in America is already predominately White, so there is no need to at "White" to the title of the networks.
More White males are in college than Black males. A lot more actually, and it breaks down to the fact that they can simply afford it.

They don't need a scholarship just for them, as much as a Black male would.

It all just kind of seems obvious to me, but again this scholarship is born more out of a stunt than anything else.
I just don't even see the need to discuss it too much. I'm hesitant to even contribute when "slavery" comes into the issue.

It works.

- Lee

umm no

The wage gap is a Myth.

www.americanthinker.com...
www.the-spearhead.com...

www.nytimes.com...

Then again this cut's across racial lines but other races have some tools to deal with the problem that Caucasian males don't.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

The article is a race bait.

In Texas, white people are a minority in most communities (my own included). Affirmative action does not help matters, and it can be tough to get any funding for school.

My kids are both hispanic. So perhaps they can benefit from the stupid concept of race on both sides of the coin.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

First of all, the links you provide are all to opinion pieces. Secondly they are all based on gender wage gap, not race Thirdly, I am very familiar with the arguments presented in these particular brand of opinion pieces, they base the premise on the idea that because women take off time from work for things like family, pregnancies, child illness, etc. that there actually isn't a wage gap. The department of labor study makes a disclaimer about wage gaps saying that there are a number of factors that could possibly effect wage differences, including but not limited to things like "time off", "maternity leaves" etc. again, this is speculative on the part of this particular study, because they don't know and they apparently didn't account for these variables. However, the article you link, then takes this out of context and draws it's own (false) conclusion and states the wage gap is a myth. Ah ha! See how that works! Unfortunately for those wishing to declare the wage gap a myth, they are wrong. There have been many many other studies done on labor statistics that actually DO account for personal choices like maternity leaves, sick time, etc. For example there have been studies where the women participants didn't have children and never had been pregnant/taken maternity leave, and there is still a wage gap. Truth is, the many studies that do account for personal choice and time off, still found a wage gap (roughly 75 cents to the dollar) Thus, it is confirmed and well studied FACT that there is still a wage gap and it's significant. Nice try though on that bit of misleading information...next time don't use biased opinion pieces.
-----------------
And this is directed at the topic of this thread in general...

There are a few things going on here. Firstly I want to say that I really don't care about this scholarship, as anyone has the right to give out scholarships with private money. That's not the issue. However there are some assumptions that people make about this issue in general that I want to address. The first thing that people should understand is that these types of "white-only" scholarships were created to make a political statement. If you read other articles on the history of these types of scholarships, they are spearheaded usually by Republican or conservative groups in order to make a political statement about "affirmative action" (i.e. the one at BostonU for example). So this isn't a "we wanna help poor white kids" type thing. This is about making a political statement even if the group wants to deny that. Of course they are free to make political statements too. But we should just keep in mind that there is a political motivation to this.

Secondly, this also demonstrates an underlying fear of a "minority majority" and also a perceived (but misplaced) threat that is the result of minority gains in equality...both of which are the result of economic stress placed on the American population as a whole. It is a commonly used strategy to deflect blame from one group (i.e. wealthy elites) and target it to another (poor minority/immigrants). Someone made an analogy on the news the other day regarding public union workers and private workers...There's a box of cookies, and the Boss gives a one cookie to the union guy, and 3/4 of a cookie to the private worker guy. The Boss keeps the other 48 1/4 cookies for himself. The private worker sees the union guy has a bit more than him and so goes punching and kicking after the union guy to try to take his cookie. Meanwhile the Boss is chowing down on his massive pile.

So, as someone already pointed out, already at colleges minorities are woefully under-represented. They have an inherent cultural and socioeconomic disadvantage from the get-go...something that has nothing to do with "how hard they work" or "personal choice", but rather it's a product of history, centuries of oppression and institutional and economic racism. As much as white guys like to think everything is all cool and equal and that anyone has just as good a shot as any other white kid...this is not reality, this is not how things work. White people benefit from being part of the dominant culture, it's hard for them to see or understand this because they are immersed in it, like a fish in water that has no knowledge of the land...but it's something that has a profound effect on everyone else who is not a part of this dominant culture. I really hope I don't have to explain this part of it, but I will if someone wants to question it. To make an analogy, it's like having one runner on a race track starting off 50 feet behind the other guy, and then assuming that because they both have the same sneakers and the same length legs, that the race is "fair" and "equal". Minority scholarships were started as a response to this problem. It addressed the inherent inequality in the system and attempts to offset it just a little bit. It is a shame that a white guy will see the one asian/black/hispanic/woman student who gets a scholarship as a threat, instead of the hundreds of other white guys that he is also competing with. And here is the other major point, there are many many more scholarships that are NEED based, that ANYONE can get, than there are "minority-only" type scholarships. Furthermore, the government does not offer "race based" scholarships...the vast majority of these minority scholarships are given out by non-profits with private money, as is their right.

Also there have been a few people on here claiming that "undeserving minorities" have displaced deserving white kids, that these minorities had lower test scores than the white kid but got into the school anyway, while the white kid didn't. First of all, I know hundreds of athletes that get scholarships into schools because of their athletic abilities, having nothing to do with their test scores. So scholarships and college admissions are based on much more than test scores and grades. As another person already said, she knows of companies that chose to hire the guy with a 3.0 who lived off campus and had to work full time in order to put himself through college, over the guy with a 4.0 who lived on campus and never worked a single day in his life. Point is, you don't know the circumstances of each individual just based on test scores/grades. Colleges and employers want more than grades. They want a well rounded person who has shown effort, dedication, perseverance and other such qualities that aren't measured through grades alone.

Lastly, it is my personal opinion, that it's really kinda pathetic and sad all these people on here whining about minorities getting scholarships, when there are plenty of scholarships available for anyone, based on merit, particular talents, or even financial status. If you are blaming a minority because you didn't get a scholarship, I'm sorry, but you have no one to blame but yourself. I personally don't understand statements like "black people have an entire 'black history month' dedicated to them why can't white people" or "why can't white people have a W.E.N. if black people have a B.E.T.". Again, it's the fish not being able to see the water around him because he's immersed in it. White history is taught all throughout the school year to kids...it's just not called "white history" because again "white history" is the norm, so it's just called "history"...and this "history" is almost entirely covered through a white perspective, almost entirely about white people. Same with television. 97% of the media is own by white people. The vast majority of show, news programs, documentaries, movies, etc. feature white people from a white perspective. This is the cultural "norm". I know some white people have a hard time understanding why a "white pride group" or a "white-t.v. channel" would be both ridiculous and insulting to some...but again, if you try looking outside the so called "fishtank", and try taking a different perspective on the matter, i.e. try to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes, than it might make a little more sense.
edit on 26-4-2011 by meeneecat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Will there be a basketball team for this school? Probably not.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
As a white person I really don't know what to do now that I have become a minority. I think getting educated would be good so I can fight "the man". I am not sure what color "the man" is now.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

This scholarship should be allowed if other races allow such scholarships. I am not white and this does not bother me. I am bothered that there is no scholarships for white men who want to go to college that does not have a lot of income. The gap needs to be filled somehow. I do think race-based scholarships should be done with it and it be based on how well you do and your income level. It should be case by case.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chopper
I am bothered that there is no scholarships for white men who want to go to college that does not have a lot of income.

What?

There are plenty of scholarships available for anyone that can qualify regardless of skin color.
A simple google search will reveal page after page.

Start here....

foundationcenter.org...

This whole thread is just a bunch of crybaby slackers that just want to whine and trash minorities.

I basically went to the university for free on a fullride scholarship. How? I made good grades, participated in sports and applied myself. There are billions of dollars available if you can qualify. Man up for Christ sake.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

and you summed it all up right there.

if someone cannot get funding for college in America, it is likely going to be a lack of effort somewhere along the way. Not always, but usually.

I am a white guy. I married a beautiful latina woman (*sigh*
17 years now and she has my heart). So both my sons are lucky to have a few extra opportunities that I wouldn't have had. But those opportunities only accounted for $750 in 2010-2011 for my oldest enrolled at Texas Tech. Most of what he has is academic scholarships. He started college with 18 hours earned in dual credit courses.

It is that "99% perspiration" thing.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
As much as i would support this, I didn't know the FAFSA was for minorities only.
Or student loans are ONLY for minorities.
I could see if it was, but for all the financial aid I have applied for I have NEVER read or hear about loans being for just minorities.
Sure, financial aid is available for minorities, but it's also available for single moms,
If you can't afford college, and your can prove it financially, you get aid.
www.fafsa.ed.gov...

I bet people would feel VERY different if a loan or anything came about that said "For Hispanics/African American's ONLY"

As much as I believe that they probably have every good intention, race seems like an issue.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by celimonster

There are several that are restricted to gender, race, and various other background demographics. It is how my hispanic wife was able to get all her nursing school paid for.

I believe that every bit of "charity" that the government provides should be with the aim of improving tomorrow. That is a true service, where you give a hand up and then reap the benefits of greater productivity. of course, I would rather see the government not involved in charity and other spending spree's. But if they must, it should always be an investment instead of charity.

However, our government does not want us to be smarter or more productive. That means we have more independance, and they are trying to steal that one piece at a time. So meaningful approaches will never be undertaken.

I think there is a better way. And it doesn't seem to be rocket science, honestly.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join