It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently Lucy Hawking disagrees with her father.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Arizona State University writer-in-residence Lucy Hawking (daughter of Stephen Hawking) is sponsoring an essay contest open to resident students in grades K-12. The essay is to answer two questions: What would you say to an extraterrestrial if earthlings were to recieve a message from outer space and how would you represent humanity? The winners message will broadcast via radio signal and bounce off the moon into space.

www.azcentral.com...

I just thought this was really cool, I only wish it was open to kids all over the world (though I get that would be hard to manage).

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Stephen Hawking has children??? I had no idea!

I just looked her up. Sounds like an interesting contest. My youngest would love to get in on this.

edit on 2/28/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by Kali74

Stephen Hawking has children??? I had no idea!

Yes, he does. He was not always in a wheel chair you know.

Stephen with his first wife

That said, very interesting. I wish I was still in school. I would enter!
edit on 28-2-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
That is pretty darn neat. And a great & playful counter-response from a daughter to her famous father. The kids will get a kick out of the "bouncing the message off the moon into space" aspect I bet.

The contest is called "Dear Aliens," (if you'd prefer to be addressed in some other way, please let us know) and it's for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. Entries must be submitted by April 1. Radio signals will bounce the winners' messages off the moon April 9 during an event at ASU's Tempe campus.
www.azcentral.com...

"...if you'd prefer to be addressed in some other way, please let us know." Now that's some respect.

I was kind o' surprised that he had a daughter too. gimme_some_truth's link didn't work for me so here ya go, Stephen Hawking & First Wife:

edit on 28-2-2011 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Yeah, I think the whole thing is pretty cool, maybe there's some AZ parents around that live in the correct county that'd be interested.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Ha! I didn't know he was a father either. Well, good for her to establish her own identity and stimulate thought in her own way, too. Nice find!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I do not know wether Lucy Hawking disagrees with her father, but I can tell you one thing for sure. I do. I disagree with the idea of a man whos area of expertise is physics, getting involved in what is largely a matter of astrobiology, which his scholarship in natural sciences MIGHT be useful for, and also, psychology, and philosophy, neither of which has he the slightest qualification in, unless I am mistaken.
Yet, he comments about the likely evolution of life on other worlds, helping to create a tv show about the subject, and sees fit to comment on the likely psychology of a species we have no technical data on.
Quite frankly, as in awe of his most potent capability in terms of mathematics, theoretical physics, and quantum mechanical thinking as I am, I feel that in the matter of the disposition of a hypothetical alien species he really hasnt the same degree of understanding as he shows toward atoms and waves, and the strings that bind the cosmos together.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Oh, I know plenty of wheelchair-bound people who have children. I didn't really mean it that way. I just had no idea that he had children because I hadn't heard it before, and honestly, had never really thought about it. Just kind of surprised me because I've kind of kept up with him over the years and had never seen his daughter mentioned.

I guess we hear about his theories and such and not much else, so just hadn't given it any thought.
edit on 3/1/2011 by gemineye because: spelling

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I do not know wether Lucy Hawking disagrees with her father, but I can tell you one thing for sure. I do

I do too...and here's why.

Mr. Hawking's fears of aliens being disastrous to humans is based on the behavior of humans throughout history, when encountering other cultures.

However, unlike said humans, who conquered for more resources...aliens who are capable of interstellar travel should not be in need of more resources. Why? Because, there are no resources on Earth they can't easily obtain more easily from other, uninhabited sources throughout the star systems. So, with the primary motivator for conquest removed, it is difficult to see why aliens would necessarily be hostile.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I've rebutted this point before by asking this:

Don't you think the Native Americans (such as the Aztecs) may have said the same thing about the European explorers? That is to say, did the Aztecs think to themselves "the Spaniards are so much more advanced than us, and have so much more than us, and they can sail anywhere they want -- why would they need our resources?"

Every large civilization needs resources. The larger the civilization, the greater the need for resources. Back in the 1500s, we could have been saying "The Americas are a very big place. Why don't the Europeans just use the resources that the natives are NOT using?" In fact, Europe was a big and relatively sparsely populated place. Why did the Europeans need to raid the resources of the Americas at all?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

May I point out that the European settlers did not NEED to plunder the reserves of the natives at all. What they should have done upon arrival , was to observe the culture of the native population, and change thier ways to fit thier new home. This they singularly failed to do, resulting in the history which played out, and the virtual eradication of anything resembling the aboriginal culture of North America, which only survives these days in pieces, and by no means as vibrant and diverse as it once was.
This horrific and reprehensible result was not a symptom of the basic animal needs of the settlers in any way, anyone who tells you that is lying through thier teeth. It was a symptom of human greed, utter disrespect for the natives and inhumanity on the part of those in charge at the time. That is all there is to say about it.

Assuming that the human traits of hate, greed, and total lack of compassion are present in a species which is not from this Earth, and thusly cannot be judged by its standards, is a towering monument to arrogance! Assuming that any spacefaring race is likely to be as savage, and uncaring as the settlers in America, shows the exact level of barbarity and inhumanity that the Europeans judged thier native companions with, and frankly, in the 21st centuary we should have moved past that sort of fear based thinking by now.
And another thing, its all very well to make the point that the native Americans probably thought that those who could sail anywhere wouldnt have need of thier land, but you have to understand that the native Americans, as smart a people as they were, understood NOTHING of what happened outside thier own land, let alone interstellar travel, nor chemistry, nor physics as an academic subject, thier understanding limited to how well certain arrows fly, when compared with others.

However, human understanding of science is such that when we say that a species which has mastered interstellar travel must have overcome that much that it can meet its own needs without reference to other sources, we are more than likely on the right path, because unlike the native tribes, we have understanding that out performs our actual accomplishments. We know lots of things that we cannot expirience right now, like how far away our nearest star is, and how far away the next nearest galaxy is. We know these things but cannot expirience them. That is where we differ from the native tribes of the Americas. Their knowledge was limited to thier own territory. Ours is not. Thier speculation was based on thier understanding of human behaviour, which for them meant something different than it would mean for us. Our speculations are based on the understanding not only of human behaviour, but on the understanding that our behaviour is different from that of all the other creatures on this rock on which we live, and crucialy , that it is likely as not completely different from the attitudes of a species we have no actual knowledge of.
Ultimately ANY assumption about the motivations and psychological status of any hypothetical space creature is moot and stupid in the extreme, because we havent even proven beyond reasonable doubt that contact is going to happen any time soon, but if we MUST assume something about them, lets just assume they arent as sociopathic , violent, degenerate, sick, twisted and hateful as we are?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
reply to post by Gazrok

I've rebutted this point before by asking this:

Don't you think the Native Americans (such as the Aztecs) may have said the same thing about the European explorers? That is to say, did the Aztecs think to themselves "the Spaniards are so much more advanced than us, and have so much more than us, and they can sail anywhere they want -- why would they need our resources?"

Every large civilization needs resources. The larger the civilization, the greater the need for resources. Back in the 1500s, we could have been saying "The Americas are a very big place. Why don't the Europeans just use the resources that the natives are NOT using?" In fact, Europe was a big and relatively sparsely populated place. Why did the Europeans need to raid the resources of the Americas at all?

Well honey Eurpoeans came here to escape religious persecution not to pillage resources and bring them to europe. What resources did we ever send over to Europe? Trees for shipbuilding perhaps. I know they were quite taken by the height of the trees here in Virginia and wanted to use them for ship masts. Other than that I cant think of one resource they might have sent to Europe.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I do not know wether Lucy Hawking disagrees with her father, but I can tell you one thing for sure. I do

I do too...and here's why.

Mr. Hawking's fears of aliens being disastrous to humans is based on the behavior of humans throughout history, when encountering other cultures.

However, unlike said humans, who conquered for more resources...aliens who are capable of interstellar travel should not be in need of more resources. Why? Because, there are no resources on Earth they can't easily obtain more easily from other, uninhabited sources throughout the star systems. So, with the primary motivator for conquest removed, it is difficult to see why aliens would necessarily be hostile.

What if the resource they were after was Fresh Meat?
We're ripe for the plucking...and we taste like that long forgotten delicacy...Martian-Burgers.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Humans could be considered "resources" too, you know... and maybe slaves aren't as easy to find.

We use donkeys to pull carts; I'm sure an advanced alien race could find a use for us.

edit on 1-3-2011 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
Well honey Eurpoeans came here to escape religious persecution not to pillage resources and bring them to europe. What resources did we ever send over to Europe? Trees for shipbuilding perhaps. I know they were quite taken by the height of the trees here in Virginia and wanted to use them for ship masts. Other than that I cant think of one resource they might have sent to Europe.

Well -- first of all, there were the Spanish conquistadors, who wanted lots of things -- including gold (money). They didn't conquer Mexico and South America to escape religious persecution.

The Spaniards conquered for resources. Resources that they technically could have found elsewhere, and resources they could have -- if they want to -- extracted without disturbing (i.e., conquering) the indigenous population.

Then there were the American Colonies. At first, Europeans went there to escape religious persecution. However, eventually The North American economy heated up, and the colonies began exporting cotton, sugar, and tobacco back to Europe. The King of England saw the Americas as being valuable for a reason. If he didn't think the Americas had any value, he would have just let the people escaping religious persecution just quietly go there and forget about them -- out of site, out of mind, out of his hair.

Granted, the Americas also had some value as a market for European goods, but the stuff being pumped out of the Americas made many British companies (who had their hands in American exports) very rich. That's where the money was.

Furthermore, the very idea that even in North America, where the original people coming did NOT come for resources -- but STILL ended up taking the land and resources away from the indigenous population anyway -- underscores my point that Dr. Hawking has a valid concern.

edit on 3/1/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

One word: GOLD

new topics

top topics

join