It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP, Others Ask Judge to Dismiss Oil Spill Claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

BP, Others Ask Judge to Dismiss Oil Spill Claims

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Published: February 28, 2011 Filed at 7:35 p.m. EST NEW ORLEANS (AP) — BP and other companies sued over the massive Gulf oil spill are asking a federal judge to dismiss many of the claims filed by businesses and people who say they have been harmed by the disaster. U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier set Monday as a deadline for BP, Transocean and other companies to file motions to dismiss claims over last year's deadly Deepwater Horizon rig explosion and the spill that followed it. Rig owner Transocean says many plaintiffs' claims should be dismissed because they allegedly failed to follow the terms of the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 and filed suit before properly presenting their claims to BP. Barbier is presiding over more than 300 spill-related lawsuits and thousands of claims, including those by fishermen, property owners and tourist businesses.

I posted the entire article because I doubt most of us have a New York Times acct.

But I think this is ridiculous! BP deserves to pay all of these lawsuits in result of destroying thousands of people's way of life. Its absolutely ludicrous that they would even request such a thing. But who see's the judge actually dismissing these claims? It isn't hard for me to believe that the vast majority will be cast to the side and many people will have to pay the repercussions. Such a shame

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Yeah, about the whole destruction of the ecosystem thing, can you just dismiss that? Here's a twenty spot for you. Ba-da-bing ba-da-boom.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Meant to post in Breaking Alternative News - FAIL. Ba-da-bing Ba-da-boom!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Screw them......they should be paying everyone.
If the judge doesn't agree with them, who will they bribe for how much at the next level?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CoincidenceX

I doubt this have any impact on the rulings, you can't just deny claims for no reason. That would be acting in bad faith and BP would get hit hard by the public for it. People in Florida will get the word out and soon people will start sending letters to congress than congress will push some weight on the matter.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Well maybe they should of thought of this before being so reckless before drilling. Make them pay the maximum and add 20 % and make an example of them. But sadly they will get what they want and laugh at all the poor people affected from across the pond.

Besides haven't the CEO's and executives suffered enough loss from bonuses will some one please think of their spoiled rotten children god forbid they might actually have to eat a can of beans and hot dogs or little suzy will have to get the entry level bmw for her 16th birthday ( note sarcasm )

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

I doubt even congress wouldn't do anything a lot of their friends where x politicians who now work for some of these companies involved in this disaster.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
i agree, but if we sued them proper there would not be any oil companies left and then we could not feed our oil addiction. look at what chevron has done. makes the bp spill look small.
if you are a drug user you would not want to kill you suppliers...same thing here..
edit on 28-2-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Greetings,

If the courts don't back BP and friends then you can bet our friendly congress/senate will.

Here's to ZPE technology.

top topics

join