It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil War Message Decoded

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Civil War Message Decoded

newsfeed.time.com

And 147 years later, the Confederacy gets the memo that no help was coming.

The message, corked inside a two-inch-long vial at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, Va., had been on display since 1896 without so much as a curious glance at its contents. But an inquisitive employee and a few code-crackers got to the bottom of the bottle and uncovered a secret message sent during the Civil War.

The message was from a Confederate general and sent to Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton, informing him that his troops would be unable to help their Confederate comrades defend the crippled city of
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
newsfeed.time.com

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Museum Collections Manager Catherine Wright let curiosity get the best of her and decided to crack open the bottle to see what message it was hiding from the world. After pulling the plug and enlisting a CIA code breaker to crack the encrypted message, the world was able to receive the message that Gen. Pemberton never did.

Wright explained that the Civil War messenger bearing the bad news likely turned back after seeing the U.S. flag flying over Vicksburg, indicating the Confederacy had surrendered, and making the message irrelevant. "It was just another punctuation mark to just how desperate and dire everything was," she said.

newsfeed.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This is horrible news.

I hate to say it, but it looks like Richmond might end up falling to the Yankees.

God help us all!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
This is horrible news.
I hate to say it, but it looks like Richmond might end up falling to the Yankees.
God help us all!

lmfao
that was a good one Proto

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Send reinforcements FAST!!! If the yankees win then the federal government will destroy this country and erode our rights.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
How cool is that? At least it's cool in hind-sight but I think the defeat of the CSofA in the war for their independence was a major turning point for America, where liberty started to erode to the point where it is today, non-existent. Sure, it's a good thing that slavery ended but the war wasn't really about slavery anyway (though slavery was interjected by Lincoln to keep Europe from coming to the aid of their trading partners, the Southern States). Also, it is my belief that slavery wouldn't have lasted much longer, even if the CSA would have won their independence. That form of slavery was becoming outdated and impractical by the mid 19th century and it would have only been a matter of time before the CSA followed suite, if for no other reason than the trading treaties with England and France.

Anyway, it's little treasures like this that really make you think and allow you to ponder over the emotion of the situation. It wasn't really that long ago, relatively speaking, yet it seems so distant. It is really only the mechanics of the economy that have changed, while the purpose and soul remains the same. It wasn't that long ago......

--airspoon

edit on 28-2-2011 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pastafarian
Send reinforcements FAST!!! If the yankees win then the federal government will destroy this country and erode our rights.

Well spotted - the Confederacy got that wrong too!!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Damn Yankees.

(I only recently learned that that was two separate words.)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
Damn Yankees.
(I only recently learned that that was two separate words.)

Well, yah. But Tommy Shaw is from Alabama.
edit on 28-2-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It was found with another message as well.. Once decoded the other message said:

Gen. Custer - Hold your position, we have reports of Indians in the area. Do not advance.

As far as the OP pretty cool. Amazing how a note from 174 years can drag people into the feeling that the war occured yesterday.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

This is horrible news.

God help us all!

Are you sure it's too late? Some of us down here in 'Bama are ready to go if'n need be!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

This is horrible news.

God help us all!

cute but a bit off topic
thanks for the reply

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
How cool is that? At least it's cool in hind-sight but I think the defeat of the CSofA in the war for their independence was a major turning point for America, where liberty started to erode to the point where it is today, non-existent. Sure, it's a good thing that slavery ended but the war wasn't really about slavery anyway (though slavery was interjected by Lincoln to keep Europe from coming to the aid of their trading partners, the Southern States). Also, it is my belief that slavery wouldn't have lasted much longer, even if the CSA would have won their independence. That form of slavery was becoming outdated and impractical by the mid 19th century and it would have only been a matter of time before the CSA followed suite, if for no other reason than the trading treaties with England and France.

Anyway, it's little treasures like this that really make you think and allow you to ponder over the emotion of the situation. It wasn't really that long ago, relatively speaking, yet it seems so distant. It is really only the mechanics of the economy that have changed, while the purpose and soul remains the same. It wasn't that long ago......

--airspoon

edit on 28-2-2011 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

It was cool when i saw the article i thought i should post this and no it really didn't happen that long ago..thanks for the reply

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
It was found with another message as well.. Once decoded the other message said:

Gen. Custer - Hold your position, we have reports of Indians in the area. Do not advance.

As far as the OP pretty cool. Amazing how a note from 174 years can drag people into the feeling that the war occured yesterday.

Thanks for the reply and yes i thought it would still up some feeling

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Go ahead and tell them.

We're going to give it another shot here pretty soon.

Don't think it'll turn out the same way again.

Probably have a bunch of damn Yankee states wanting to join in as well.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
Are you sure it's too late? Some of us down here in 'Bama are ready to go if'n need be!

lol
gotta love dem Bama boys !!!
I was born there by the way

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
As far as the OP pretty cool. Amazing how a note from 174 years can drag people into the feeling that the war occurred yesterday.

dude,
to some .... it never really ended.
didn't you see the flags still flying
out there?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
That message is still considered classified information. Both the historian and the codebreaker should be tried for treason for leaking this information.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
That message is still considered classified information. Both the historian and the codebreaker should be tried for treason for leaking this information.

That was funny i had to chuckle

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Well spotted - the Confederacy got that wrong too!!

geez, why has it always got to be about
who's right or wrong ???

Everybody knows the real reason why
the Civil War happened !!!!!

Them Yankees keep saying they
had the best Fried Chicken and
we knew that was bull snot.
We had to defend ma's honor !!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join