It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe that dinosaurs coexisted with humans?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
So when you say that this is mixing fables and science, isn't that the same as saying you are mixing religion and science? So is the bible wrong? Did god not create all land animals on the 6 day? Who created the dinosaurs? Or has science been right all along. I have never understood how those so devote in what they believe with religion can be so blinded by faith that they dont see the truth that lies right in front, the truth in plain sight.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Dinosaurs such as the ones that would come to mind like T-rex, raptors, etc, I would say its very unlikely based on the information that we have access to. There are creatures here today whose ancestors were around in the Triassic Period such as the crocs and birds see: Archosaur
So those types of dinosaurs yes!

Using the Bible as "proof" is kind of silly. The Bible is a great source of information but it was written by man and I would classify it as a History book. We all know that History is written by the winners. The Bible has also had stories omitted from it to favor the Churches and to give control of the people to the kings and religious leaders. To see the world as only 6000 years old is pretty closed minded. Here is a prime example!

My husband reconnected with an old high school friend a few years ago. This couple was extremely religious (nothing wrong with that). However their beliefs were so 100% by the "book" that they were blind to things you and I know to be true.

They believed the earth was only 6k years old. My husband is a geologist so he has a lot of knowledge in this field. He brought up the dinosaurs. Their response was that dinosaur bones were fake. Seriously?

On a side note! I have had over 100 reoccurring dreams since I was a child of Dinosaurs chasing me...maybe they are dreams of a past life!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
What's that theory? That all possible scenarios exist at one time... Dealing with alternate dimensions.

Maybe one reality Dinosaurs ruled on the earth....

Reality 2 humans ruled on the earth...

time line 3 the world saw Noah & the flood scenario....

Something happened to converge all 3 realities into one so now we have evidence of many different scenario's
here in our time line. Make sense? Just a weird thought that popped into my head.

Maybe that's why we get conflicting reports when dating objects
edit on 1-3-2011 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro

Originally posted by freedish
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Yes, carbon dating is extremely flawed. Look it up.

Bringing carbon dating into this argument is irrelevant. Carbon Dating is only good for dating up to 50,000 years ago, way outside the realm of use for dinosaurs.

Potassium-argon dating is the best method we have for it is the only one that can span millions of years.

To the OP, I think that it is completely impossible for modern humans to have coexisted at the same time as dinosaurs. It is possible for some species of dinosaurs to have evolved overtime to more familiar organisms but that is the closest we come.

Exactly carbon dating cannot be used to prove that we didn't co-exist with dinosaurs. My research suggests it's only accurate up to 4,000 years.
And I haven't done enough research on potassium-argon dating, but I'm sure there are flaws with that one too.
Most scientists thought carbon dating was flawless until recently. And they will think the same of this newer dating method until they are proven wrong yet again. You have so much faith in science. But your science is constantly wrong. Put your faith into God and you will never go wrong.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiggleworm
My husband reconnected with an old high school friend a few years ago. This couple was extremely religious (nothing wrong with that). However their beliefs were so 100% by the "book" that they were blind to things you and I know to be true.
They believed the earth was only 6k years old. My husband is a geologist so he has a lot of knowledge in this field. He brought up the dinosaurs. Their response was that dinosaur bones were fake. Seriously?

A few years back I had a similar encounter when I was describing a fluted point as being some 10k old, and I started to get a speech about floods instead of glaciers, dust on the moon...all the regular bumph.
I offered, in turn, to introduce him to a noted geologist who could respond to his discussion a lot more intelligently than could I.
The offer was declined, and that always sorta summed the issue up for me.

Exactly carbon dating cannot be used to prove that we didn't co-exist with dinosaurs. My research suggests it's only accurate up to 4,000 years.
And I haven't done enough research on potassium-argon dating, but I'm sure there are flaws with that one too.
Most scientists thought carbon dating was flawless until recently. And they will think the same of this newer dating method until they are proven wrong yet again. You have so much faith in science. But your science is constantly wrong. Put your faith into God and you will never go wrong.

Better improve your research:

The 2004 version of the calibration curve extends back quite accurately to 26,000 years BP. Any errors in the calibration curve do not contribute more than ±16 years to the measurement error during the historic and late prehistoric periods (0–6,000 yrs BP) and no more than ±163 years over the entire 26,000 years of the curve, although its shape can reduce the accuracy as mentioned above. In late 2009, the journal Radiocarbon announced agreement on the INTCAL09 standard, which extends a more accurate calibration curve to 50,000 years. en.wikipedia.org...

And if you can believe that God inspired the Bible, then it's not that much of a stretch to believe that God also inspired the development of radiocarbon dating techniques...and other such 'science'.
edit on 1-3-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg

“You believe the world's 12 thousand years old? "That's right." Okay I got one word to ask you, a one word question, ready? "Uh huh." Dinosaurs.

You know the world's 12 thousand years old and dinosaurs existed, they existed in that time, you'd think it would have been mentioned in the #ing Bible at some point. "And lo Jesus and the disciples walked to Nazareth. But the trail was blocked by a giant brontosaurus...with a splinter in his paw.

And O the disciples did run a shriekin': 'What a big #ing lizard, Lord!' But Jesus was unafraid and he took the splinter from the brontosaurus's paw and the big lizard became his friend.”

The Late Bill Hicks

you'd think it would have been mentioned in the #ing Bible at some point.

Lol

I would go and quote the verse to you, but what good would that do? If you want to find out, just ask google....or God.

Ever think that maybe the dinosaurs got wiped out in the flood because there was no room for their big butts in the ark? Eh? Ehhh?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

Even in large numbers there'd be vbery little chance of survival against such large and fast creatures. Even a mass of humans wouldnt be ablt to do much and the instinct to run would be too strong. i think humans would have no chance, they wouldnt be smart or strong enough to fend of attacks and not agile or fast enough to escape

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Ok, besides the bible, archeologists have found "Human" footprints inside of dino tracks in riverbeds. What about the Inca stones? It wasn't just dinosaurs, but surgery and such carved on those stones. Why were the dinosaurs so accurately carved?
edit on 1-3-2011 by chiefsmom because: Wasn't not was

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by crkking

Im not religious but I can see how the two can be combined. The bible was written by men, not by God and Christians dont all believe every single detail in there. It could be possible that science is correct and that 'God' if a God exists, created the rules of the universe which we study as science. just because people believe in God doesnt mean that they think everything in the world runs on magic and being a Christian doesnt mean that you follow the bible to the word. Whoever wrote the bible probably had their own agenda and as a human probably wouldnt be able to understand creation for example even if it was explained to them by a divine spirit so a simplified version of 'on the first day etc' may have been written.

Sorry anyway im not religious, just believe that the two can actually be combined by logical thinking people who dont interperate religious texts as being 100% accurate or science for that matter. look back 10 years ago at what science 'knew' to be true. we may very well in 100 years time come to believe what we once thought was right to be totally wrong.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I try to run on understanding and carefully building theories in order to be dismissed later on (that's the whole idea of building theories, in theory at last).

so, the answer to your question is "no"

and the argument you include to point at the possibility, being based on a man-produced and abused artifact, called "bible" makes me say it again: "nope, i don't buy this. i even think it's is useless way of trying to make sense of reality"

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
creation.mobi...

I found this on another thread that is very popular right now, "King Solomons Temple" authored by SkyFloating.
Credit to Lemon.Fresh for the source.

There is a part in this interview with Dr. Clifford Wilson, where he mentions finding dinosaur tracks in parts of the earth where it was impossible. He says he personal jumped in the mud and excavated these things, and claims that the academic community blatantly says they "faked the discover".

Anyways I found the whole interview to be very revealing.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Certainly not! IMO dinosaurs are not mentioned in the Bible either.

The Bible mentions two dinosaurs by name and describes them in great detail. "Behemoth" (Job 40:15-24) and "Leviathan" (Job 41:1-34)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

I agree with Dendro that it is completely impossible for modern humans to have coexisted at the same time as dinosaurs ..But people that read the bible dont agree

Well, I read the Bible a lot, and I agree.

The two prevailing Biblical views also agree -- the "Young Earth Creationists" believe that God created the Earth about 6,000 years ago, with everything that makes it seem older, like fossils, geomorphology, old rocks, etc, already "in place". By that thinking, there never were any dinosaurs, no live ones anyway.

The other view, and I'm not sure what term to apply to it, maybe "Intelligent Design", but I disagree with that one, as well, is that God created the laws that define reality, and then kicked off the process 14 billion years ago, which resulted in what you see today. Big Bang, evolution, primordial soup, dinosaurs, early man, etc, all processes that got us where we are today.

My personal belief is with the second, though I differ from the ID crowd, because I'm not necessarily on board with the whole "we are the intentional end point" premise. I find nothing in scripture that precludes other intelligent life in the universe, and that's what my eventual resolution would rely on.

Either way, no, Jesus never walked with the dinosaurs, and neither did any human. Those notions seem to be held by a tiny minority of Christians with an incredibly myopic view of reality, and by atheists, who like to trot out such images to make believers look like idiots.

I tend to agree with "Intelligent Design" that's just my opinion

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg

“You believe the world's 12 thousand years old? "That's right." Okay I got one word to ask you, a one word question, ready? "Uh huh." Dinosaurs.

You know the world's 12 thousand years old and dinosaurs existed, they existed in that time, you'd think it would have been mentioned in the #ing Bible at some point. "And lo Jesus and the disciples walked to Nazareth. But the trail was blocked by a giant brontosaurus...with a splinter in his paw.

And O the disciples did run a shriekin': 'What a big #ing lizard, Lord!' But Jesus was unafraid and he took the splinter from the brontosaurus's paw and the big lizard became his friend.”

The Late Bill Hicks

you'd think it would have been mentioned in the #ing Bible at some point.

Lol

I would go and quote the verse to you, but what good would that do? If you want to find out, just ask google....or God.

Ever think that maybe the dinosaurs got wiped out in the flood because there was no room for their big butts in the ark? Eh? Ehhh?

Maybe he loaded baby dinosaurs on the arc that way there would be room

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReVoLuTiOn76
creation.mobi...

I found this on another thread that is very popular right now, "King Solomons Temple" authored by SkyFloating.
Credit to Lemon.Fresh for the source.

There is a part in this interview with Dr. Clifford Wilson, where he mentions finding dinosaur tracks in parts of the earth where it was impossible. He says he personal jumped in the mud and excavated these things, and claims that the academic community blatantly says they "faked the discover".

Anyways I found the whole interview to be very revealing.

That was an interisting read thanks

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

l have been trying to get a copy of that book for ages, unfortunately its out of print.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro

reply to post by sugarcookie1

Yes, carbon dating is extremely flawed. Look it up.

Bringing carbon dating into this argument is irrelevant. Carbon Dating is only good for dating up to 50,000 years ago, way outside the realm of use for dinosaurs.

Potassium-argon dating is the best method we have for it is the only one that can span millions of years.

To the OP, I think that it is completely impossible for modern humans to have coexisted at the same time as dinosaurs. It is possible for some species of dinosaurs to have evolved overtime to more familiar organisms but that is the closest we come.

So even by your "standards" of 4,000 years being the cap of viability, it still wouldn't work for dinosaurs that are millions of years old.

I love this particular line of yours:

Put your faith into God and you will never go wrong.

because the irony of you being wrong.

As SOON as they discovered Radio-Carbon Dating they also realized that it was flawed. Not years later... IMMEDIATELY. The premise was based on the idea that the world had maintained a constant level of carbon-14 in the atmosphere when in fact it fluctuated and still fluctuates to this day. It is not perfect and archaeologists acknowledge this because they give a 150 year leeway for the inaccuracies.

I would like to see your studies though.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Ok, besides the bible, archeologists have found "Human" footprints inside of dino tracks in riverbeds. What about the Inca stones? It wasn't just dinosaurs, but surgery and such carved on those stones. Why were the dinosaurs so accurately carved?
edit on 1-3-2011 by chiefsmom because: Wasn't not was

Sorry, that's just not true! I first read about it in the 80s, and was intrigued (I thought I might write a time travel story about it) but a bit of investigation showed that it was all about people seeing what they wanted to see, and even with my bad eyesight, when I saw photos of the alleged human footprints, I realised they were exactly what paleontologists say, drag marks from the animal's tail!

Vicky

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The Bible mentions two dinosaurs by name and describes them in great detail. "Behemoth" (Job 40:15-24) and "Leviathan" (Job 41:1-34)

Whales or giant squid is what I was taught! (Or possibly simply parables - as far as I recall the passages in question, that's figurative language.)
The perils of being a literalist! (Which is why I am not one.)
Vicky

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Whales or giant squid is what I was taught! (Or possibly simply parables - as far as I recall the passages in question, that's figurative language.)
The perils of being a literalist! (Which is why I am not one.)
Vicky

I was told a Hippo and a Crocodile lol

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join