It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walker responds to Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Interesting little "back and forth" going on between the Wisconsin governor and Obama.

source

Gov. Scott Walker on Monday afternoon responded to comments President Barack Obama made earlier in the day about the protests in Madison:

Walker’s office issued this statement:

“I'm sure the President knows that most federal employees do not have collective bargaining for wages and benefits while our plan allows it for base pay. And I'm sure the President knows that the average federal worker pays twice as much for health insurance as what we are asking for in Wisconsin. At least I would hope he knows these facts.

“Furthermore, I’m sure the President knows that we have repeatedly praised the more than 300,000 government workers who come to work every day in Wisconsin.

“I’m sure that President Obama simply misunderstands the issues in Wisconsin, and isn’t acting like the union bosses in saying one thing and doing another.”

Whoa!

The governor said that - especially the last sentence - to Obama?

Marquis of Queensbury rules. May the best man win ...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Obama is an embarrassment and I can no longer support him because he lied and is just another neocon.

However I don't think that Gov. Walker really understands the situation either.
imo he is exhibiting a clear case of letting his ideology get in the way of his common sense.

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

centurion1211, I think Obama is an Idiot and needs to get out of the business of trying to run any part of our Government. Neither Obama or any of his Advisers know anything about people with jobs and bills to pay and Children that need a real Education.

The Teachers and Their Union Thugs Need To Be Told This, You have 24 hours to come back to work or Don't Come Back At All.
Our Children Are Much More Important and We Need Teachers That Care About Our Children.

To The Unions,,,, You Can Bite My *snip*!!!

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 28-2-2011 by Duzey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think Gov. Walker was just reminding
Obama about the 10th Amendment.

The Tenth Amendment explicitly states the Constitution's principle of federalism by providing that powers not granted to the federal government nor prohibited to the states by the Constitution are reserved to the states or the people.

en.wikipedia.org...

me thinks Obama should tend to DC
not to WI.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Common sense tell us that collective bargaining with our tax dollars is ridiculous.

The bureaucrats in question are not elected officials. They have zero moral authority to bargain with the elected representatives of the people on how the funding of their positions is to be conducted.

The public servants of the State serve at the pleasure of the State. They do not serve at the pleasure of the public at large based on their performance as the private sector does.

They are not bargaining for a share of excess profits, they are bargaining for a share of stolen booty. If the booty runs out, they have no right to demand the State engage in more thievery to support them.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think Walker forgot to mention that he is trying to strip those workers of their collective bargaining rights. He forgot to mention that this was never about Wisconsin's budget since he wrote $140 million worth of tax breaks to his corporate backers.

What federal workers get paid in comparison to Wisconsin workers isn't relevant, that was determined the last time federal workers negotiated for those benefits - but at least those workers (some, not all) still had the ability to bargain for them. Maybe Walker doesn't understand that's what collective bargaining is for, you sit down and hammer out an agreement amenable to both sides. Not rob them of this right.

Those rights Wisconsin workers want to keep aren't just so they can bargain for pay/benefits but for safety issues and workplace protection, anti-discriminatory practices, etc. Everything that can keep an unscrupulous employer (even if it's the gov) from screwing over a worker.
edit on 28-2-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Maybe Walker forgot to mention that no one in Obama's administration is trying to strip federal workers of their collective bargaining rights.

You're right!
Obama just fired them instead.
No collective bargaining required.

Obama's Education Budget Cuts $85 Mil from HBCUs

edit on 2/28/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Obama was bought and paid for before he ever took the oath of office.

Fortunately, he'll be a one-term disaster.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I think Walker forgot to mention that he is trying to strip those workers of their collective bargaining rights. He forgot to mention that this was never about Wisconsin's budget since he wrote $140 million worth of tax breaks to his corporate backers.

What federal workers get paid in comparison to Wisconsin workers isn't relevant, that was determined the last time federal workers negotiated for those benefits - but at least those workers still had the ability to bargain for them. Maybe Walker doesn't understand that's what collective bargaining is for, you sit down and hammer out an agreement amenable to both sides. Not rob them of this right.

Maybe Walker forgot to mention that no one in Obama's administration is trying to strip federal workers of their collective bargaining rights.

Further - the workers all agreed to the variations in pay and benefits - all of them - the strikes have absolutely nothing what so ever to do with the budget or benefits or wages - they are only about the right to collectively negotiate - what a furphy.

For anyone who keeps falling for this bull please - its so obvious - every time Walker mentions budget, benefits, wages or money he is distracting you from the real issue - basic fundamental rights of people are being destroyed.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Just to remind everyone ..

The thread is about the developing "conversation" between obama and Walker, and how that will play out - not the pros and cons of the Wisconsin legislation.

Walker:
“I’m sure that President Obama simply misunderstands the issues in Wisconsin, and isn’t acting like the union bosses in saying one thing and doing another.”

Does Obama not understand the issues? Is Obama acting like a union boss in saying one thing and doing another?

The (debate) ball is now in Obama's court. Will he respond and up the ante, or will Obama decide to cut his losses and shut up?
edit on 2/28/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
However I don't think that Gov. Walker really understands the situation either.
imo he is exhibiting a clear case of letting his ideology get in the way of his common sense.

I would say it is the union members who don't understand the gravity of the economic situation and, apparently, are letting a single personal issue get in the way of common sense. I'm betting the voters didn't elect Walker based on a single issue, but your source article indicates some are willing to dump him for one. I believe that just reinforces my accusation that the union members are ignoring the big picture, in favor of personal gain. It seems they have the attitude of "Screw the taxpayers, as long as we get ours."

"The difference between how folks would vote now and how they voted in November can almost all be attributed to shifts within union households," Tom Jensen of PPP explained. "Voters who are not part of union households have barely shifted at all - they report having voted for Walker by 7 points last fall and they still say they would vote for Walker by a 4 point margin."

"But in households where there is a union member voters now say they'd go for Barrett by a 31 point margin, up quite a bit from the 14 point advantage they report having given him in November."
www.rawstory.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

You hit the nail on the head.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Kudos to Walker for sticking to his guns and fighting back. I think his wording made it clear he doesn't owe Obama an explanation.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
If they (anyone in government) wanted to affect the economic situation, they need to look at the trade issues. Not trying to reduce everyone to the lowest pay possible, public/private union or non-union.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

If they (anyone in government) wanted to affect the economic situation, they need to look at the trade issues. Not trying to reduce everyone to the lowest pay possible, public/private union or non-union.

The trade issues are the government has run out of money to steal from the private sector.

By default, this means that private sector unions should be in direct conflict with public sector unions.

As more money is stolen from the private sector by the public sector, the less room private workers have to collectively bargain with their employers.

Watching private sector union workers stand up for the public sector union workers makes my head spin. The private sector union workers must completely fail to understand the economics at work here.

A man from Shawano County Wisconsin explains why he's pissed at the public sector unions:

edit on 28-2-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Very interesting statement referring to the 10th. Makes you wonder how far the war of words will go, because I think pride just stepped into the picture now. The same kind of pride that turned this nation into a factioned war zone 150 years ago.

Sort of makes that swearing in on the same bible Lincoln used a bit more ironic now, does it not?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Very interesting statement referring to the 10th. Makes you wonder how far the war of words will go, because I think pride just stepped into the picture now. The same kind of pride that turned this nation into a factioned war zone 150 years ago.

Sort of makes that swearing in on the same bible Lincoln used a bit more ironic now, does it not?

I hadn't even thought about that Bible swearing
thing til u brought it up. Uncanny, to say the least.
Did Obama or somebody else know this ahead
of time I wonder ???

star 4 u

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Reply to post by Blackmarketeer

The 140 millions in tax breaks was not for his corporate backers, it is for new businesses.

Never mind the fact that it does not even go into affect until the next budget.

But hey. Lets not let simple facts get in the way of a tar and feathering.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Obama is an embarrassment and I can no longer support him because he lied and is just another neocon.

Why don't you go look up what Obama has actually accomplished since he took office.

The truth - - - will set you free.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aristophrenia

What federal workers get paid in comparison to Wisconsin workers isn't relevant, that was determined the last time federal workers negotiated for those benefits - but at least those workers still had the ability to bargain for them. Maybe Walker doesn't understand that's what collective bargaining is for, you sit down and hammer out an agreement amenable to both sides. Not rob them of this right.

Further - the workers all agreed to the variations in pay and benefits - all of them - the strikes have absolutely nothing what so ever to do with the budget or benefits or wages - they are only about the right to collectively negotiate - what a furphy.

For anyone who keeps falling for this bull please - its so obvious - every time Walker mentions budget, benefits, wages or money he is distracting you from the real issue - basic fundamental rights of people are being destroyed.

Hear, hear. Do not lose the focus of Walker's whole effort. It's the first domino. Poised for the fall of the entire chain.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join