It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wrongful arrest suite makes Supreme Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The "material witness" arrest of Abdullah al-Kidd is finally making it to the Supreme Court- with then Attorney General Ascroft in the gun

Ashcroft and other high-ranking officials publicly described the importance of using the material witness law against suspected terrorists, including US citizens. Less than two months after September 11, Ashcroft said that the "aggressive detention of lawbreakers and material witnesses is vital to preventing, disrupting or delaying new attacks."

Ad Feedback Al-Kidd was among the roughly half of those detained who were never called to testify in any criminal proceeding. One measure of Ashcroft's policy is that the government apologised to or reached monetary settlements with at least 13 people, according to a report by civil liberties groups.

I remember this at the time as being pretty dodgy, and it is good this guy has persisted with his case.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Nice find!

I'm glad the Supreme Court is granting certiorari. I like his ending statement in the article, "I haven't lost faith in the system." I would have lost faith in the system almost immediately after undergoing the humiliation he endured.

join