It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England cricketer Steven Davies ''comes out'' as an openly gay man.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Excellent news in the world of sport.

Steven Davies backed after confirming he is gay

Steven Davies, the Worcestershire wicketkeeper, who has been capped by England in ODIs, has become the first professional cricketer to openly reveal that he is homosexual.

It was a courageous move by him, and I think that cricket is probably the big sport that will handle this issue the best.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

This is no real big deal really . Being gay is normal now and not out of the ordinary in anyway. I don't think any different of him! This should not change anybody's perspective of him or the game. If it does well they are morons and don't deserve the privilege of watching the game . Who watches cricket based on anybody's sexuality anyway?. I watch it for the skill and seeing close games. He will probably have to endure sledging of sorts much in the same way many players are sledged about their family, ability, religious belief or family history but that's cricket!, everyone cops it for one reason or another!. I'm sure he will rise over any of it, & not make big deal of it as I have always considered him a player with a lot of "Ticker"!

edit on 28-2-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Danger Mouse

This is a NON story because it is Irrelevant....!

Are you trying to highlight the fact that someone who is a semi famous sports star is gay and that is a shock ? Or are you trying to highlight the fact that someone who is a semi famous sports star is NOT hetrosexual and therefore is not considered normal ?

Does it matter if he is Gay or not !! That's his business and no-one elses, Not Yours to publish this thread.......!

WAIT............ breaking news.........
I am a White Heterosexual male in the UK and I am coming out to tell the world that fact..........?!

Non News..

Regards

PDUK

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
This is a NON story because it is Irrelevant....!

It's not irrelevant. Steven Davies has become the first professional cricketer to openly announce that he is gay.

Homophobia is still considered ''acceptable'' amongst many fans and players throughout sport.

The more players that ''come out'', the more likelihood of breaking down discrimination and prejudice in sport, which is one of the last bastions for open discrimination against gay people.

Compare sport to other forms of entertainment, such as music, films, theatre etc. where homosexual people have had the opportunity to participate in those activities without the need to hide something that should not be needed to be hidden.

Are you trying to highlight the fact that someone who is a semi famous sports star is gay and that is a shock ? Or are you trying to highlight the fact that someone who is a semi famous sports star is NOT hetrosexual and therefore is not considered normal ?

It is not a shock that a professional sportsman is gay. Statistically, there will be thousands of them playing sport in Britain.

What is noteworthy, as previously mentioned, is that he is the first cricketer to do so ( one of the major sports in this country ), and that cricket, and its players and fans, may have a much more mature and enlightened attitude than other sports who have had openly gay people receiving a torrid time because of being open about their sexuality.

Does it matter if he is Gay or not !! That's his business and no-one elses, Not Yours to publish this thread.......!

Of course it's his business, but he's decided to make it public knowledge by releasing a public statement.

The fact that he, personally, is gay, is not really the issue, but rather the fact of his profession and the significance of his announcement for breaking down future barriers in sport.

Considering that he's made his sexuality public knowledge, and that the story has been widely reported by the BBC, Sky, all the national newspapers, and many other British news sources, then I fail to see how a small thread in the ''World Sports'' section on ATS is of any relevance to your point.

WAIT............ breaking news.........
I am a White Heterosexual male in the UK and I am coming out to tell the world that fact..........?!

Your comment would have some merit if you were working in a profession and surrounded by a sub-culture that made being heterosexual a taboo.

If that were the case, then I'd commend you on announcing the fact, hope that your announcement would pave the way for a modernising of your profession's attitudes on sexuality, and post an ATS thread on it.

However, announcing that you are heterosexual on an internet message board is certainly not analogous with someone declaring that they are gay in a profession where widespread prejudice and discrimination is still tolerated in 2011.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Good for him , it should be irrelevant, hopefully the nature of cricket will make it a non traumatic job for him to get on with his career. I remember max clifford saying he had advised some football players to 'stay in' as he thought the abuse from crowds plus their earning potential would be affected

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I think he is a brave man. In this cricket world I didn't here like before. He just made this secret natural. Think it should be. Person like this always feel weird to speak out. This things are personal. So in cricket it will not effect so much!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

edit on 6-11-2014 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

top topics

join