It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah is the name of God!!! Tetragrammaton! YHWH

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I find it a very enlightening read. Very good!

Starred and flagged.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Hail again good brother IAMIAM. Very good reply. This is one thread no one will win over the OP. Here to argue, negate, deride and contradict any and all opinions other that one stated in the OP, it is what his kind do. They train to oppose....all opposition.

In reality God needs no...nor requires no name.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Additionally, no amount of comment nor contradictory knowledge to the OP will be sufficient enough to cause change in attitude or reality.

I feel badly for a JW friend of mine, because he is told no knowledge other than his religion's is true, valid nor correct. I addressed with him that it is sad to deny knowledge, for it helps to strengthen one's beliefs and convictions. And thats unfortunate. There are a lot of things in this world to learn, comprehend and understand...or try to...you still dont have to accept them!

Overall...knowledge (and continuing knowledge) is good. It is a shame he is encouraged (my friend) by his church, not to participate, read things or try to understand different interpretations, faiths and new and different ways of thinking.

What kind of religion encourages that?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by iamgodtron

God does not have a name.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

God's name... hm... don't scare me ever again?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I haves spent countless hours researching this, and one thing I know for sure is IN ENGLISH God's name is Jehovah. Many people fail to grasp that, because J was embedded into the English language replacing Y. Other languages have different pronunciations of that name, and since we don't know what the original language Adam spoke and how the name was said, it is futile discussion. Common names such as John have different pronunciation in different languages. Is God's name any different in that regard?
Here is the best answer to this, use the actual name the bible uses in your language, and you can't go wrong.

Psalms 83:18

King James Bible
That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

The Bible in Living English
And know it is you alone that are named Jehovah, on high over all the earth.

The New World Translation
That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

New Simplified Bible
That they may know that you alone, whose name is Jehovah, are the Most High over all the earth.

American King James Version
That men may know that you, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, are the most high over all the earth.

Darby Bible Translation
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, art the Most High over all the earth.

English Revised Version
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is JEHOVAH, art the Most High over all the earth.

Webster's Bible Translation
That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Young's Literal Translation
And they know that Thou -- (Thy name is Jehovah -- by Thyself,) Art the Most High over all the earth!

American Standard Version
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, Art the Most High over all the earth.

Geneva Study Bible

As shown, many bibles use Jehovah. You may disagree, but then you are disagreeing with the actual word of God. A christian that does this, shows that he lacks faith in God's ability to protect his sacred texts from contamination.

2 Timothy 3:16

Every Scripture passage is inspired by God. All of them are useful for teaching, pointing out errors, correcting people, and training them for a life that has God's approval.

Many bible based subjects are subject to interpretation one way or another, reading Psalms 83:18 leaves none. Just a non-belief in scripture or just blatant denial.
If you are in that category, you need to ask yourself why you feel the bible itself is wrong regarding God's name?

edit on 1-3-2011 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
You guys are focusing so hard on the damn tree, you are not seeing the forest. Who cares how you pronounce YhWh? Who cares? Either way it means the same thing, being, I am that I am, beyond a name.

It is merely a symbol that represents an ideal, a present spirit that many feel in their lives but cannot explain.

The symbol is merely a cultural container for the nameless one.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

and one thing I know for sure is IN ENGLISH God's name is Jehovah
Not to burst your bubble, but there is no such word as Jehovah. This is not Gods Hebrew name .The bibles you reference are based off a miss interpreted latin translation.(blame Jerome) Back to the drawling board blue jay.

edit on 1-3-2011 by Theophorus because:
edit on 1-3-2011 by Theophorus because: stupid is stupid does
extra DIV

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Hi, IAmGodTron. I was wondering if there are any cases in the new testament where Jesus does speak the name of Yahweh or Jehovah directly. Sorry it is such a short post but I am hoping to launch my point from here. I have a lovely copy of the Four Gospels and the Revelation Tx'd by Richmond Lattimore and I am not finding anything. It seems that Jesus most commonly referred to His father as The Father. Thanks.
Thanks for the post. Although the tag line of your thread seems to give away what you think the answer is I appreciate the question.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

I rarely have the confidence to say this on ATS, but I will in this instance.
You are wrong, and your critique of those bibles is wrong too.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
The I am that I am statement means being careless about others? or not, I somehow loose myself in it. Only God is he is that he is. Can we be too? God, he is that he is. The works of God. Divine intervention!!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
ain't it great?
invent a story with some nice characters (although one can seriously doubt whether this jahweh is such a nice guy, euh, sorry, god with small g)
have these characters state whatever suits an agenda.
start debates on the names....

meanwhile, somewhere in reality, the world just keeps on turning
no need for pseudo-intellectual games that deal with nothingness.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Red Jacket of the Seneca Indians said this to the white man....1804. When their belief system was being up rooted and destroyed and being forced to believe the white mans religion.

Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the book?

On down he said:
He has made a great difference between us in other things, why may we not conclude that He has given us a different religion according to our understanding? The Great Spirit does right. He knows what is best for his children; we are satisfied.
He also said talking about their belief::It teaches us to be thankful for all the favors we receive, to love each other and be united. We never quarrel about religion.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
A question. If there weren't "Jehovah's" Witnesses would we even be discussing this as adamantly? Seems like some are refuting the facts because of a religion. Facts are facts people. Yes JW's are unpopular for the most part but damn, don't ignore the facts.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

A question. If there weren't "Jehovah's" Witnesses would we even be discussing this as adamantly?

How come everyone seems to associate the word "Jehovah" with JWs?. I don't even consider Jws or (non-trins) to be christian, let alone reserve the right to call god A fictitious name.The word Jehovah was in the least a bad guess as to the Tetragrammaton. Latin, not English. The bible states clear as to Gods name and it is not Jehovah.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

I did not bother to read much of the OP's post. Your link was a mind-blower, however!! Truly awesome!!!!

I'll add a log to the raging fire of this debate: I have a high regard for Ferrar Fenton's translation of the Old Testament, and he used the name "the Everliving" or "the Everliving God."

Seems it always happens like so, the first signal is "Jehovah" is God's name, and then it begins: there is one and only one God, and Jesus is not divine, blah, blah, blah. You can see it five doctrines away...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

The bible states clear as to Gods name and it is not Jehovah.

Really, I am curious if you can show us the scripture that is found in?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
There is no "name" of God. The names that are applied to the all encompassing supreme being are always nothing more than cultural trappings, clay idols, for that which is beyond a name.

You cannot name that which you cannot ever fully see, feel, or understand. How can one look at a disco ball and dare to think their collection of mirrored tiles are the only reflection of light from the whole?

Each name down though history has only represented the perception of God at that time by that people.

With Love,

Your Brother

18We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 19And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. 20And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. 21Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

edit on 28-2-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

"Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"

"God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Can you explain this?

You boldly say this,

"You cannot name that which you cannot ever fully see, feel, or understand. How can one look at a disco ball and dare to think their collection of mirrored tiles are the only reflection of light from the whole?"

Isn't "I AM" such a powerful meaning of understanding that God is everything?

Normally someone would respond by saying "I AM TOM". God would respond "I AM".

Also it wasn't people who named God, it was God would told Moses his name.

to top it off...

God said.. "This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations"

Can you explain all of this?

To deny that God has a name is to deny the words of the Bible...

also, just because God is everywhere doesn't mean he doesnt have a face, just as the words of the Bible proclaims it more than once...A face should have a name.

edit on 5-3-2011 by Techyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33

The bible states clear as to Gods name and it is not Jehovah.

Really, I am curious if you can show us the scripture that is found in?

From what I understand, Hebrew is God's chosen language. It doesn't say this directly in the Bible, but it was the language of the Israelites, which is his people.

To call him Jehovah is to use a translation of his original name. His original name being in Hebrew.

It would be like if your Mexican and I'm American. My name is Matt, but you argue against me saying my name must be Mateo!

My name wouldn't change to Mateo on my ID just because I went over to Mexico, or if someone from mexico called me that. Matthew would be MY name forever.

Just as God's name in Hebrew is his name forever and ever.

So I guess the questions is, should the meaning of Gods name only matter, or the text of his name?

I strongly believe both do, especially since hebrew is a language in where the letters hold a lot of symbolism.

From my knowledge, the correct pronunciation of God's name in Hebrew was lost over time so instead of getting it wrong all the time, they replaced it with "LORD", "GOD", ect..

To say Jehovah is God's name is to say you know how to pronounce God's name. Of course this isn't true otherwise "GOD" and "LORD" would of never substituted it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join