It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah is the name of God!!! Tetragrammaton! YHWH

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
WAIT a minute...jehovah is not written in any bible except the jehovahs witness special bible....why do they have a special version?....cults have to do that
to make their twisted ...usually over legalistic interpretation fly in the minds of those exposed to it without the benefit of the spiritual version.....Pauls version oncludes this spiritual insight....ie...."born again"....is written to happen at the ressurection yes....but spiritual birth happens at the moment of faith.....two "born agains"....also we have the balance of faith and grace....same thing.....see the spiritual side ,,,this is where Pauls writings come in....faith vs. works

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

The tetragrammaton does exsist in the original texts....over 7000 times and translated into english is...Jehovah!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
There is no "name" of God. The names that are applied to the all encompassing supreme being are always nothing more than cultural trappings, clay idols, for that which is beyond a name.

You cannot name that which you cannot ever fully see, feel, or understand. How can one look at a disco ball and dare to think their collection of mirrored tiles are the only reflection of light from the whole?

Each name down though history has only represented the perception of God at that time by that people.

With Love,

Your Brother

18We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 19And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. 20And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. 21Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

edit on 28-2-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xerxes1434
There is a pretty big debate on if His name is pronounced Jehovah or Yahweh. www.newadvent.org...

The KJV uses Jehovah though in the NLT it uses Yahweh. Also the Jerusalem Bible uses Yahweh.

YHWH is how it is spelled in Hebrew in the Bible. Hebrew originally doesn't have vowel notations, so one has to infer the vowels from context as without them the same written word can be pronounced differently and sometimes even mean different things. This has led to some passages in the Bible having different interpretations depending on who you are talking to - or sometimes both interpretations being seen as valid. In more recent times, vowel notations for Hebrew were developed, but they are not a part of the original text of the Bible, so you will not find any Jewish Torahs written with them. That would be adding something to the original text that isn't supposed to be there.

You might find this interesting about Hebrew pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton.

Pronouncing the name as "Jehovah" comes via German scholarship into the Bible done in centuries past. This scholarship found its way to English language scholars, who took the German spelling of YHWH as Jehovah: the "J" in German is pronounced as we pronounce the letter "Y" and the German "W" is pronounced the way we pronounce the leter "V," so you can easily see where the confusion in English comes from. A German looking at the word rendered "Jehowah" would be very similar to someone in English looking at the word rendered as "Yehowah." Take out the vowels (which of course don't appear in the original Hebrew anyway) and you are left with "Yhwh." In German that would have been "Jhwh," different letters to create the same sound.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
WAIT a minute...jehovah is not written in any bible except the jehovahs witness special bible....why do they have a special version?....cults have to do that
to make their twisted ...usually over legalistic interpretation fly in the minds of those exposed to it without the benefit of the spiritual version.....Pauls version oncludes this spiritual insight....ie...."born again"....is written to happen at the ressurection yes....but spiritual birth happens at the moment of faith.....two "born agains"....also we have the balance of faith and grace....same thing.....see the spiritual side ,,,this is where Pauls writings come in....faith vs. works

Here's a good link if you want to know:
www.blueletterbible.org.../18

KJV
That [men] may know that thou, whose name alone [is] JEHOVAH, [art] the most high over all the earth.

RVR
Y conozcan que tu nombre es Jehová; Tú solo Altísimo sobre toda la tierra.

ASV
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, Art the Most High over all the earth.

YNG
And they know that Thou -- (Thy name [is] Jehovah -- by Thyself,) [Art] the Most High over all the earth!

DBY
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, art the Most High over all the earth.

WEB
That [men] may know that thou, whose name alone [is] JEHOVAH, [art] the most high over all the earth.

WLC
וְֽיֵדְעוּ כִּֽי־אַתָּה שִׁמְךָ יְהוָה לְבַדֶּךָ עֶלְיֹון עַל־כָּל־הָאָֽרֶץ׃

Note: Yahweh is also a valid name of God since it contains the Tetragramaton. I use it too, but Jehovah is widely recognized.

ciao,
edmc2

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Here's another website that you can use for research: bible.cc...

King James Bible

American King James Version
That men may know that you, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, are the most high over all the earth.

American Standard Version
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, Art the Most High over all the earth.

Bible in Basic English
So that men may see that you only, whose name is Yahweh, are Most High over all the earth.

Darby Bible Translation
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, art the Most High over all the earth.

English Revised Version
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is JEHOVAH, art the Most High over all the earth.

Webster's Bible Translation
That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

World English Bible
that they may know that you alone, whose name is Yahweh, are the Most High over all the earth. For the Chief Musician. On an instrument of Gath. A Psalm by the sons of Korah.

Young's Literal Translation
And they know that Thou -- (Thy name is Jehovah -- by Thyself,) Art the Most High over all the earth!

Point is - don't just listen to what others say, even to me. Do your own research then decide whether someting is true or not.

Peace be upon you,
edmc2

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This subject should be titled ," Describe The Name of God in One Million Words or Less". In the first two chapters of the Bible, Genesis and Exodus, the names of God seem quite different.
Let's start with Genesis, ch.1 v.1, " In the beginning God....." Go to Strong's Concordance and search for God in the Hebrew and Chaldee dictionary....you find this

1. #430 - elohiym,plural of #433 - gods or supreme God

2. #433 elowah from #410 , a deity or the Deity

3. #410 el shortened from #352 , strength

4. #352 ayil from #193 strength

5. #193 uwl an unused root word meaning to twist, by implication to be strong

So ...to find the meaning of God in the very first chapter and the very first verse of the Bible it takes a few minutes and a magnifying glass to clearly see it's not so clear.

Let's go to Exodus ch. 3 v. 13 and 14... Moses is asking God what shall I tell the children of Israel is your name? " And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM ;and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you . " Then using the same process as above , you find looking up I am or am

1. #1961 hayah-- a prime root compiled along with #1933, to exist

2. #1933 hava or havah a prime root compiled along with #183 and #1961, to breathe or to be

3. #183 avah a prime root to wish for or covet

To make it even simpler, the " God" explaining to Moses that he should be called I AM THAT I AM , is the elohiym definition not the hayah definition. I've just scratched the surface of this topic and I'm overwhelmed with my inability to handle any kind of formal investigation!! Sorry, I give up . In my mind I think the I AM THAT I AM
would properly designate GOD.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is "Steve"!!! It's written in the holy textbooks!

What's the name of your other imaginary friends?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Alphabet of Kabbalah

א ב ג ד ה ו ז ח ט י כ ל מ נ ס ע פ צ ק ר ש ת

יהוה the Tetragrammaton can be pronounced Jehovah, Jahovah, Yehowah, Yahowah, Jehowah, Jahowah, Yehovah, Yahovah, Yod-Chavah, Iod-Havah, Iod-Chavah, Yod-Havah, etc.

Although according to the Gnostic Teachings, to say "Yahweh", "Jahweh", "Yahveh", "Jahveh", "Javhe, or "Yavhe"; is to say the mantric name so-to-speak, of the chief of demons.

edit on 28-2-2011 by Tamahu because: spelling

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Tamahu

I've always wondered about the placement of the vowels, how could they be so sure on which vowels went where? So it could definitely be something other than just plain old Jehovah. Maybe they're Jahevoh's Witnesses instead, and they've got it all wrong!?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Weeeden

Esoteric Societies such as the Gnostics, the Initiates of High Grade Masonry (Egyptian Rite, Misraim, Ancient and Primitive Rite, etc.) the Rosicrucians, etc. study and/or have studied deeply the Hebrew Kabbalah, ancient and medieval texts, Meditation, Mantras, etc.; whereas most members of exoteric sects like Jehovah's Witnesses, Baptists, Roman Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, Adventists, etc. obviously do not study Esoterism.

Also it is said that (negatively) awakened followers of Yahweh/Javhe try to intentionally lead people away from Yod-Havah/Jehovah.

Judaism, Zionism, and Gnosis

edit on 28-2-2011 by Tamahu because: punctuation

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weeeden
reply to post by Tamahu

I've always wondered about the placement of the vowels, how could they be so sure on which vowels went where? So it could definitely be something other than just plain old Jehovah. Maybe they're Jahevoh's Witnesses instead, and they've got it all wrong!?

Usually the placement of vowels can be inferred by context. Occasionally context could lead to more than one possibility, but that is rare. It's hard for us to imagine how it can work because our written language has never worked that way, but for someone who has grown up speaking Hebrew, it's quite easy.

The exact vowels are an unknown when it comes to the pronunciation of YHWH and that's partly by design. Only the High Priests in ancient Israel were supposed to know the precise pronunciation, it was supposed to be secret knowledge only they were allowed to hold.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Tamahu

The same question can apply to the name Jesus, Joshua, Jeremiah, Jacob....ect. Yet practically no one has a problem with the pronunciation of those names.

I say ,"practically", because I have talked to some who insist on calling Jesus, "Yeshua". There are tons of other Hebrew names that people accept without question.
edit on 2/28/2011 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/28/2011 by Sparky63 because: spelling of course

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
As far as I'm aware, the pronunciation "Yeshua" is fine.

Yeshua, or perhaps better said Yehoshua, can be spelled at least two ways:

יהושוע

And:

יהשוה

The latter being a Esoteric spelling of the Christ principle, the Tetragrammaton with a "Shin" (ש) in the middle.

Aberamentho and the Gnostic Church

Yeshua

(Hebrew יהשוה) Derives from the Holy Name of God יהוה filled with fire ש. Yeshua is a title, not a personal name. It is most known in relation to Yeshua Krestos (Jesus Christ). Means "savior." Some spell it Yeshu (ישו) or Yeshua (ישוע).

Joshua

(Hebrew יהושוע‎ Yehoshua; Greek: Ἰησοῦς; both names are identical to Jesus) A character in the Hebrew Bible (Exodus, Numbers and Joshua), leader of the tribes of Israel after the death of Moses. Whether in the New Testament as Ἰησοῦς (Jesus) or in the Books of Moses as יהושוע‎ (Joshua or Hoshea), the name is the same (יהושוע‎), derived from the Hebrew root ישע, "salvation," "to deliver/be liberated," or "to be victorious." Thus the symbol is the same: the savior or Messiah (Christ) who is born inside the initiate to liberate "the people of Israel" (the consciousness) from bondage to the ego.

edit on 28-2-2011 by Tamahu because: spacing

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Tamahu

Here's a site that explains in great detail how the name Jehovah came to be. Great research done.

snipit from: www.hope-of-israel.org...

The Name consists of four Hebrew CONSONANTS -- yod, hay, vav, hay -- and is referred to as HaShem HaGadol, "The Great Name" in the Hebrew language. The English equivalent is Y H V H. The Greeks simply called it the Tetragrammaton -- "the four letters."

The English translators of the King James Version of the Bible have utilized a unique form of the title "lord" to represent this great Name. The first letter L is CAPITAL in form -- large size. The remaining three letters are SINGLE in size, but CAPITAL in form -- thus LORD. This arrangement is used by the King James Version and some other translations; however there are many translations that do not use this form, so that when reading them one has no indication that they are reading the Holy Name of the Creator.

Out of the people of Israel -- to whom the Creator God made known His Holy Name some 7,000 times -- those descended from the House of Judah deem it too sacred to use themselves -- much less to teach it to the nations. Those descended from the House of Israel, and the entire Gentile world, look at it as four meaningless Hebrew letters....

...Think about this for a moment. Why would the Jews favor "YAHWEH" as the correct rendition of the Divine Name if they considered it "taking God's Name in vain" and blasphemy to even pronounce the Tetragrammaton? Did they do this on purpose knowing full well that YAHWEH and its variations (YAHVEH, YAHWAH, YAHVAH etc.) are NOT the true pronunciation of the Divine Name? This way the Christian world -- which the Jews actually hate -- could pronounce YAHWEH as the Divine Name to their hearts content and NOT take God's Name in vain in the mind of the Jews!

Notice what Richard Davis has to say --

"While attending classes at the Jewish temple, we also attended the Jewish worship services. One weekend a visiting Rabbi, professor at the Hebrew University in Los Angeles, came and taught on the Holy Name. This was NOT a class taught to Jewish and non-Jewish students, it was a seminar taught to the JEWISH CONGREGATION. He opened his teaching with these words, 'The time has come for our people to know the correct pronunciation of Ha Shem (The Name).' He wrote on the blackboard the first syllable of the Name, and had the congregation pronounce it, then erased it; wrote the second syllable, had us pronounce it, and erased it. Then he wrote the THIRD SYLLABLE, had us pronounce it, and erased it. Then he said, 'Now, pronounce the entire word IN YOUR MIND.'

"He taught the Holy Name one syllable at a time, pronouncing each syllable, but never pronouncing the entire name....The syllables that he taught in English were (YE) (HO) (VAH), just as I had learned them some thirty years previously from Strong's Hebrew Dictionary #3068" (The Great Holy Name, Addendum p. 2).

Continues Richard Davis:..
..What Judean Names Tell Us

Following the principle of contracting words in the Hebrew language, the two center consonants (hay and vav) and the vowels (sheva and cholem) are DROPPED, making the word pronounced YAH. This is the shortest contracted form of the Holy Name and is set forth in the Bible as the COMPLETE HOLY NAME. (Hay and vav are versatile letters and as such are dropped as necessary for combining, or contracting words). "Sing to God, sing praises to His name; extol him who rides on the clouds, by His name YAH, and rejoice before Him" (Psalm 68:4, NKJV).

Today, the contracted form of the Holy Name, YEHOVAH, is spoken in almost every language known to man, and is pronounced exactly as it is in Hebrew in the great inspired praise sentence Halleluyah. This term is translated "Praise ye the LORD" by the English translators -- see Psalm 146 through 150. However, the definition of Halleluyah is "Come out of yourself and into YAH." It is in the imperative form, and is really an invitation -- "Come out of yourself and into YAH with me."

YAH is written with the consonants YH in Hebrew and with the vowel point "a" between these two consonants. The vowel and the consonants are taken from the Tetragrammaton, and this indicates a vowel "a" in it. So the result is either Y-aH-V-H or Y-H-V-aH, depending on WHICH of the H's is taken from the tetragrammaton. Can we tell which of these it actually is?

It is a fact that the Israelites used to combine names with an ABBREVIATION of God's Name when they named their children. These names are called TEOPHORIC NAMES and they have been preserved WITH VOWEL POINTINGS.

There are mainly TWO KINDS of teophoric names in the Bible. One kind BEGINS with the three first consonants of the Tetragrammaton, Y-H-V-, and the second kind ENDS with the short form -YAH or -YAHU (Yahu is contraction of the expression Yah hu' -- which means "Yah himself").

Read the entire article here: www.hope-of-israel.org... as I'm not able to post its entirety.

ciao,
edmc2

edit on 28-2-2011 by edmc^2 because: the - that

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Wrong. It's in the King James Version.

Genesis 22:14
And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
Genesis 22:13-15 (in Context) Genesis 22 (Whole Chapter)
Exodus 6:3
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.
Exodus 6:2-4 (in Context) Exodus 6 (Whole Chapter)
Exodus 17:15
And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovahnissi:
Exodus 17:14-16 (in Context) Exodus 17 (Whole Chapter)
Judges 6:24
Then Gideon built an altar there unto the LORD, and called it Jehovahshalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
Judges 6:23-25 (in Context) Judges 6 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 83:18
That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
Psalm 83:17-18 (in Context) Psalm 83 (Whole Chapter)
Isaiah 12:2
Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.
Isaiah 12:1-3 (in Context) Isaiah 12 (Whole Chapter)
Isaiah 26:4
Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:
Isaiah 26:3-5 (in Context) Isaiah 26 (Whole Chapter)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Do you realize you are formulating an opinion off of other peoples research? On something that is as important as the personal name of God?? I find this extremely problematic. Jesus never taught us to form an opinion this way, when we seek an answer to something. He taught repentance and to wait for the power of the Holy Spirit to come upon us and then Gods Spirit would guide us into all truths.

Though many and most people do it your way - it's wrong. Jesus' relationship was so close with God that other people could hear the audible voice of God when he spoke. If God could speak then...... surely he can speak now. When one has an intense relationship with Jesus it's suppose to bridge that gap from God - through the Holy Spirit. So many good people get off the beaten path by allowing others to think for them.

A little over a year ago, I had just laid down to go to bed, when I heard an audible voice that sounded like thunder. The voice said one word........" Yahveh"!

The closest translation is "I am the being..."

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Binah: Iod-Havah Elohim, Binael, Yah-Hovah Elohim, the Holy Spirit

edit on 1-3-2011 by Tamahu because: edited quote

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
No this is simply sectarian nonsense, and very old and refuted nonsense for that matter. First of all, the addition of J into the divine name is an archaic english mistake. For instance, if you look at a 1611 KJV you will notice that "Jesus's" name is Ieosus (yay-souss), this is a Greek corruption of Ya'hshuah or Yeshua, which if directly corrupted by English would be pronounced (Jah)Joshua. A lot of Hebrew words were corrupted by the english language, such as Yisrael and Yudea and such. No J's at all! You can't blame the Greeks too much for corrupting Ya'hshuah's name, because Greek is a gender divided language and thus a name ending on an A would be feminine. This is why the KJV NT has different names for the prophets such as Isaias.

Anyways the tetragrammaton rendered correctly is YHWH and while the correct vocalization has most likely been lost to time, Hebrew scholars are certain it is not "Jehovah" and assert it is Yahweh based on vowel points and structure and the use of Yahwe by the Samaritans.

יַהְוֶה = Yahweh In the early 19th century Hebrew scholars were still critiquing "Jehovah" [a.k.a. Iehovah and Iehouah] because they believed that the vowel points of יְהֹוָה were not the actual vowel points of the Tetragrammaton. The Hebrew scholar Wilhelm Gesenius [1786-1842] had suggested that the Hebrew punctuation יַהְוֶה, which is transliterated into English as "Yahweh", might more accurately represent the actual pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton than the Biblical Hebrew punctuation "יְהֹוָה", from which the English name Jehovah has been derived. William Gesenius's Hebrew punctuation (i.e., Yahweh) Wilhelm Gesenius is one of the greatest Hebrew and biblical scholars [7]. His proposal to read YHWH as "יַהְוֶה" (see image to the right) was based in large part on various Greek transcriptions, such as ιαβε, dating from the first centuries AD, but also on the forms of theophoric names. In his Hebrew Dictionary, Gesenius supports "Yahweh" (which would have been pronounced [yahwe], with the final letter being silent) because of the Samaritan pronunciation Ιαβε reported by Theodoret, and that the theophoric name prefixes YHW [Yeho] and YH [Yo] can be explained from the form "Yahweh". Today many scholars accept Gesenius's proposal to read YHWH as יַהְוֶה. (Here 'accept' does not necessarily mean that they actually believe that it describes the truth, but rather that among the many vocalizations that have been proposed, none is clearly superior) Gesenius' proposal gradually became accepted as the best scholarly reconstructed vocalized Hebrew spelling of the Tetragrammaton.

I'm going to be quite frank here: the New World Translation is garbage. The divine name was used in scripture (without vowels and in paleo-hebrew), but nowhere near as many times as the "translators of the New World Translation shoe-horn it in. The New World Translation purposely misrepresents text to support JW positions too. Look at Strong's Concordance: www.blueletterbible.org... , which gives the original Hebrew and Greek, and you will see many intentional "mistranslations". For instance: John 1 Logos (the word) en (was) pros(preposition:with) Theos (God) kai (and) Logos (the word) en (was) Theos (God). The Word was God not "a God".

Furthermore, the JW have renounced their founders and nearly half their hisory because of failed prophecies and corruption. "You will know them by their fruits" Ya'hshuah said, "Good fruit cannot come from bad trees". So if your roots are rotten, how can the JWs bring forth good fruit now? Leave the sectarianism behind you, take up your cross and follow Christ, Brother.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join