It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulitzer Prize winner's "rambling, conspiracy-laden diatribe" draws sharp mainstream criticism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This is a strange story that touches on many themes that may be of interest to the members of ATS.

Seymour Hersch is arguably one of the most towering and influential figures in mainstream journalism over the past half-centrury. His most famous achievements were exposing the My Lai Massacre in Vietnam and being among the earliest to expose Abu Ghraib in May 2004. He is a Pultizer Prize winner and has won multiple National Magazine Awards within the last decade alone. Whatever you may think of his politics or stories, love him or hate him or indifferent, it must be admitted that he is in a whole different league than your neighborhood conspiracy blogger.

Which makes it all the more interesting that recently Hersch has started "raving" about the Knights of Malta:

"...Hersh “delivered a rambling, conspiracy-laden diatribe here Monday,” Blake Hounshell reported on the magazine’s Passport blog. His delusional fantasia: The existence of ties between the U.S. Military’s Joint Special Operations Command and a secretive Catholic order called the Knights of Malta. As Hounshell elaborates:

[Hersh] charged that U.S. foreign policy had been hijacked by a cabal of neoconservative “crusaders” in the former vice president’s office and now in the special operations community...He then alleged that Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who headed JSOC before briefly becoming the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, and his successor, Vice Adm. William McRaven, as well as many within JSOC, “are all members of, or at least supporters of, Knights of Malta.”

Hersh may have been referring to the Sovereign Order of Malta, a Roman Catholic organization commited [sic] to “defence [sic] of the Faith and assistance to the poor and the suffering,” according to its website.

“They do see what they’re doing — and this is not an atypical attitude among some military — it’s a crusade, literally. They see themselves as the protectors of the Christians. They’re protecting them from the Muslims [as in] the 13th century. And this is their function.”

“They have little insignias, these coins they pass among each other, which are crusader coins,” he continued. “They have insignia that reflect the whole notion that this is a culture war. … Right now, there’s a tremendous, tremendous amount of anti-Muslim feeling in the military community.”

More at source article from "WhoWhatWhy"

Hersch has drawn particularly withering criticism from Foreign Policy magazine, itself a respected mainstream media organ that has also received multiple National Magazine Awards in this past decade alone. FP contributing editor and Washington Post correspondent Tom Ricks (also a Pulitzer Prize winner) replied sarcastically, as can be seen in the article.

Are his charges off base, or is he on to something? The Knights of Malta are certainly no strangers to controversy, and they have been the subject of numerous conspiracy theories over the centuries.

See the source article referenced above for more.

edit on 2/28/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
well you can't deny that the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is similar to the Crusades, the righteous Christians battling the heathen Arabs. Not sure if they are part of the knights of malta but we basically can see their plans for what they truly are, not hunting down Bin Laden or whatever nonsense they are peddling these days. It's hard to even garner a reason as to why we are in Afghanistan these days, and to them the Iraq war was "mission accomplished" years ago.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

“They have little insignias, these coins they pass among each other, which are crusader coins,” he continued. “They have insignia that reflect the whole notion that this is a culture war. … Right now, there’s a tremendous, tremendous amount of anti-Muslim feeling in the military community.”

I thought this part was interesting. I wonder how one could verify if this claim is true. And I don't think anyone can deny that there are anti-Muslim feelings in the military, there was a good video on ATS about a Iraq war veteran talking about this very fact.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Puts a whole new twist to a modern day judas iscariot cult,penny for your thoughts,my 2 cents,coin up...its a flip of a coin ,do we invade,do we not,ohhh..its all poker,its all a game of monopoly.
Dead people,they see them all the time,and love the control..How exciting ,planes with bombs that kill millions and leave no bodies,who said empire building like hitler was over,the vultures gather.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

There's definitely something weird going on with this.

I did some research on Seymour Hersh, and on the face of it, he seems to be someone who has been a whistle-blower extraordinaire, writing about US foreign policy/military subjects and exposing wrongdoing related to such. A lot of his writings expose information about the US/Israel relationship and he has written articles about the Israeli spy, Jonathon Pollard, the Abu Gharib prison torture scandal, amongst other controversial subjects. On the face of it, he appears to be a force for good, exposing hidden wrongdoing to the light.

But...........I wonder if all is as it seems, because.....a lot of the information he writes is bound to inflame the Arab world against us, a nation generally regarded to be a Christian nation. Now he comes out with this inflammatory interview.

Seymour Hersh is Jewish and he has written for The New Yorker Magazine, a publication which is part of the Conde' Nast consortium of publications, which is owned by the billionaire Newhouse family, also Jewish.

Why has he been allowed to write for this magazine for so long and publish so many books that not only exposes US wrongdoing, but implicates Israel as well, unless it suits the Evils and their plans?

According to a letter supposedly written by Albert Pike in the 1871, WWIII is supposed to be a conflict between Islam and political Zionists, the ultimate goal of which is to destroy Christianity (and atheists) and bring in the New World Order.

"The Third World War must be fomented by taking advantage of the differences caused by the "agentur" of the "Illuminati" between the political Zionists and the leaders of Islamic World. The war must be conducted in such a way that Islam (the Moslem Arabic World) and political Zionism (the State of Israel) mutually destroy each other. Meanwhile the other nations, once more divided on this issue will be constrained to fight to the point of complete physical, moral, spiritual and economical exhaustion…We shall unleash the Nihilists and the atheists, and we shall provoke a formidable social cataclysm which in all its horror will show clearly to the nations the effect of absolute atheism, origin of savagery and of the most bloody turmoil. Then everywhere, the citizens, obliged to defend themselves against the world minority of revolutionaries, will exterminate those destroyers of civilization, and the multitude, disillusioned with Christianity, whose deistic spirits will from that moment be without compass or direction, anxious for an ideal, but without knowing where to render its adoration, will receive the true light through the universal manifestation of the pure doctrine of Lucifer, brought finally out in the public view. This manifestation will result from the general reactionary movement which will follow the destruction of Christianity and atheism, both conquered and exterminated at the same time."

(disclaimer: The following statement was noted on the site where I found the above quote.)

It is a commonly believed fallacy that for a short time, the Pike letter to Mazzini was on display in the British Museum Library in London, and it was copied by William Guy Carr, former Intelligence Officer in the Royal Canadian Navy. The British Library has confirmed in writing to me that such a document has never been in their possession. Furthermore, in Carr's book, Satan, Prince of this World, Carr includes the following footnote:

"The Keeper of Manuscripts recently informed the author that this letter is NOT catalogued in the British Museum Library. It seems strange that a man of Cardinal Rodriguez's knowledge should have said that it WAS in 1925".

It appears that Carr learned about this letter from Cardinal Caro y Rodriguez of Santiago, Chile, who wrote The Mystery of Freemasonry Unveiled.

To date, no conclusive proof exists to show that this letter was ever written. Nevertheless, the letter is widely quoted and the topic of much discussion.

My comment on the above is this. If there was such a letter, and such a plan, would the Evils want to admit it, or would they be doing all they could to make it seem like the supposed letter was a fraud? Think about all the other lies that have been exposed as such, after the fact.

Is Mr. Hersh a pawn that has been allowed to "expose" all this stuff in the furtherance of a bigger plan?

Are his comments directly accusing American military/Knights of Malta of a CRUSADE against Islam another step in this plan?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Hrm. It's most interesting to me that the article refers to the "Sovereign Order of Malta" rather than the "Sovereign Military Order of Malta".

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I've always thought that the Skull and Bones, Bohemian Grove, Masons etc. were all connected in some way with the Crusades and Catholicism. But underlying the human centered organization is something even more mystical, hidden and ancient.
edit on 1-3-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
What really irritates me is the guy describing his speech as "rambling, conspiracy-laden diatribe" That's just ridiculous.

Just as ridiculous as when people go around stating conspiracies theories as fact. The way I look at it, when there are conspiracy theories that have merit, they should be considered, but until concrete proof comes out one way or another, both sides of the fence, those who proclaim they are absolute fact, and those who proclaim they are absolute bunk, are both doing a GREAT disservice to TRUTH which is the most important thing.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Its not implausible, after all the vatican has a strong influence over the US and other "christian" nation's foreign policy. But of course everyone hates him for coming out with some truth, its hip to insult the US and the vatican, but tying them together is crazy? Right.

new topics

top topics

join