It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there anybody out there.?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It is time once again to analyze pink Floyd's the wall..let's bring back the wall
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bb3b9827ad65.jpg[/atsimg]

BRING BACK THE WALL! So why now!?!?... Why is it so important now?! Lets start at the beginning... What is the wall?

The Wall is a concept album, and deals largely with themes of abandonment and personal isolation. It was first conceived during the band's 1977 In the Flesh Tour, when bassist and lyricist Roger Waters' frustration with the spectators' perceived boorishness became so acute that he imagined building a wall between the performers and audience. The album is a rock opera that centres on Pink, a character based on Waters. Pink's life experiences begin with the loss of his father during the Second World War, and continue with ridicule and abuse from his school teachers, an overprotective mother and finally, the breakdown of his marriage. All contribute to his eventual self-imposed isolation from society, represented by a metaphorical wall.

PART ONE: In the Flesh.?
The Album Begins just as it ends.. with the subtle music from the final track of the album, Outside the wall. a quick 15 second intro into madness.. Accompanied by a soft whisper.. barely coherent, Yet still unmistakable...

If you put on a pair of headphones and crank the volume up, The whisper at the beginning of the album says,"we came in" If the album is listened to in it's entirety ( The way it was meant to be experienced). This is paired up to the final song on the album.. At the end of the final song Outside the wall.. You can make out the same incoherent voice whispering "this is where" Now pair this up and you will soon see the Album eventually comes full circle. And it completes the sentence "so this is where we came in." This quote has been analyzed by many..many people.

So why is the message here.? The story of The Wall is a fairly universal tale not limited to the Times it was recorded in. It's about the fictional character Pink. Pink's story is one foreshadowed by death and life..As much as he created many of his emotional bricks, many were inherited from previous generations. Similarly, when Pink's wall comes down, the children in "Outside the Wall" collect the bricks, possibly using them to build their own walls, and then restarting the cycle with "In the Flesh" So you see The metaphor, And symbolism of The Wall, Are both applied to The individual, And Society.

Here is a Very good Interpretation of the message found within the album..

the message itself, one doesn't actually know it's a question judging by the part at the beginning of "In the Flesh?" We simply know that this is where "...we came in," a possible allusion to Pink's lament at the end of the album in "the Trial": "There must have been a door there in the wall, when I came in." After repeated listening, the listener realizes that the door Pink longs for to escape is the very one we used to come in and get a peek behind his wall.

Nearly every song on the Wall pulls interpretive double duty in the sense their lyrics are equally relevant to the individual as well as broader social and universal themes. The lyrical themes of Pink's personal story dovetail nicely with the larger social themes of war, nationalism, and what it means in the grand sense to be human. As if there weren't enough levels of interpretation already, "In the Flesh?" compounds things by offering three different birthing transitions within Pink's narrative alone. That is to say, the lyrics of this one song can be interpreted on three different levels within Pink's life story.

Part 2: The first brick

The wall it self is symbolism, It represents personal isolation, Whether it be isolation from the world, Isolation from the system, Or so on That is what is so intriguing about the album.

It allows the listener to draw there own personal life experiences in it..The bricks That build up The wall, Are all symbolism of personal experiences. For pink His first brick is his father dying in war.. And from that day forward he continues to build his wall up, Till it reaches the point where there is no escaping it..

He struggles through much of the second half of the Album trying to find a way to break it down. For those familiar with the Album. You will remember the Track simply titled "Goodbye cruel world" The last track on the first disc.. A haunting tune often mistaken as a suicide note..This song is actually Pink saying his final goodbyes to the world before his self imposed isolation. This is when he puts the final brick in his wall. And closes him self off from the world..

Part 3: TEAR DOWN THE WALL!

The second Disc opens wit the track "Hey you" This song has been interpreted many times. This being the Best one I have Seen so far.

Immediately after finishing his wall, Pink begins to wonder (too little, too late) whether he's made the right decision in completely isolating himself from the world.

This song Segways into Is there Anybody out there. In questioning whether anybody is out there, Pink begins to realize the expansiveness of his wall and the consequences of his self-imposed seclusion. And the Album slowly All comes full circle..And finally climaxes with the trial segwayin into Outside the wall..

The Moral of the Story: Though there will almost always be personal and social barriers erected out of fear, oppression, pain, and isolation, it's the job of every socially conscious individual and community to never rest in tearing down the walls that separate us.

PART 4: So why now? Why bring The wall back now?

I was first introduced to the Wall as a young kid.. I have my sister Amanda to thank for that.. And from a Very early Age I became aware of social and emotional values that separated us from each other..Both Personal, And culture wise.. And this changed me, Excuse the reference.. This experience was the first brick in my Wall..

As I grew into a Young man I started realizing this more and more, And became alienated To the world..I was in a dark place for a few years that I found to be both, comforting, And at the same time dark..I often refer to it as a very Personal, Special kind of hell.. My life was A nightmare, Fueled by drug and alcohol abuse and lacking any form of social acceptance. And once again The wall was the only thing that made since to me.

So now I bring myself Back to The Album once again after all of these years, And once again looking at it under a new light. The Album truly is a masterpiece open to interpretation..It has been passed down many generations now..And the message is still As strong as ever. We have to tear down the walls holding us back as a society, And as Human beings as well. It is modern Poetry, A shining light in a society That builds it's culture around being blind and dumb to the world around us.. And I hope that it will be analyzed and referenced for many more years to come.

-peace

Source

Source

edit on 28-2-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Pink Floyd is in a seperate class of music..untouchable...!! By far IMO the greatest ever and ever will be.. Too bad Mr. Syd Barret was so short term with the group... ( the best Tribute song to Mr. Barret..." Wish You were Here" )would have been awesome to see/ hear his contributions.. but the remaining 4, ( David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Nick Mason, Richard Wright ) like i said before, are untouchable.. As far as im concerned, every album they created was a masterpiece, especially "The Wall"... As it can be analyzed and debated over and over, i think the message is clear... OP is on beat... TEAR DOWN THE WALL!!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Last year I saw Roger play the album in it's entirety live.. Nothing will ever come close to the experience.. Absolutely incredible..I have seen Gilmore live twice and waters three times.. ( Including the dark side of the moon live) But nothing will ever touch that performance..He built the wall up through the entire first set brick by brick, And then played behind the wall for the entire second set, At the end of the show (the trial) they blew the wall up! Now I have been to many, many shows..The stones, Mccartney , Petty..Just to name a few. Nothing came close.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

I could only imagine that show... i cant find the words.. Ive had the pleasure of witnessing Pink Floyd (without Mr. Waters... unfortunately) 2x ...& Mr Gilmour 1x...and outta the countless shows ive been to, Pink Floyd is without a doubt THE best.. even if someone doesnt take a liking to their tunes, i strongly recommend going to watch anyways..(if they tour again).. they will always leave you euphoric, and as always, deep thoughts...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Hi OP.
I was just gonna start a thread on The Wall, my favourite album by far, but saw your earlier work and so decided to join in with you.
To me, as an avid Floyd fan, I have read loads of stuff, and realise people analyse their work a lot; because it is largely original. As I grow older, I understand that my thoughts are aligned more and more with Roger Waters' who I admire greatly, but also mock him because he is a miserable old fecker.
So many tracks on the album are considered dark, gloomy, and depressing, but to me they are part of the story, part of the "ride" as Bill Hicks would say.
I do accept the story for what it says it is by the mainstream, but I can't help but think that Roger, and Dave to a degree, wrote these lyrics with something else in mind.
Bits came out in DSOTM, and Animals, but not too many people got it IMO.
For me, In The Flesh, Goodbye Blue Sky, Another Brick in the Wall part2, Comfortably Numb, Mother, and although it is on the next album, rejected from The Wall, the track the Final Cut, all have significant meanings, when interpereted in a different way.

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Here is a good link to the lyrics for anyone who is not as familiar:

www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com...

May have to go listen some more now.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I can still remember listening to this album for the first as a 10 year old kid, sitting cross-legged on the floor wearing my dad’s old ear-goggles while thumbing through the album sleeves - reading along with the lyrics and admiring all the crazy artwork, I had absolutely no idea that this was a concept album, but however, I knew it told a story. Then when I saw the movie a couple of years later, it made more sense to me as to what the music was talking about.

Of course, as a kid, I had no idea what the metaphors meant and all the odd, descriptive imagery, like the Judge, the Hammers, the Worms, and the Fiery Redhead --- all that stuff was just so bizarre looking and out of the norm to me. But somehow, the music completely captured my imagination – I was hooked! I was a Pink Floyd fan whether I wanted to be or not.

As I grew older and began to understand more about the relationship of music and words, I realized that The Wall wasn’t just a double album --- I realized it was basically a sonic novel. I loved it ever since.

I have a younger friend (29 y/o) who has never heard the album version of the album! (Yeah, it baffles me too.) He claims to be a huge Floyd fan, yet the guy bases his claim on watching The Wall a thousand times! One day as we were driving home after a gig we had, I decided to test his passion for his ‘all time favorite band’ – so I play Echoes for him… so he names that tune within the first 30 seconds --- right on! But that’s an easy one… next I test him with Burning Bridges, it took him a while, but he guessed the band correctly. So then I play Fletcher Memorial and his reply was…

"This sounds so familiar to me! I know I’ve heard this before... man, I recognize the voice!!!"

Yeah, some Floyd fan – the kid didn’t even know that this album (Final Cut) even existed. So then I got to asking him what he knew about Pink Floyd and he explained that he owns the movie and that he’s never heard the album! I’m shocked – NAY! I’m appalled that he’s committed such a blasphemous crime!

That incident actually got me wondering if there were any more like him --- people who are far more familiar with the film than they are the album. Albeit, the film gave us a great version of Mother; it also gave us When the Tigers Broke Free and more importantly, it gave us What Shall We Do Now?, I just can’t comprehend preferring the film over the actual album; must be my snobbish mind over thinking things again.

When I saw Roger Waters - The Wall at the Staples Center in Los Angeles back in 2010, I was absolutely mesmerized. Pfft! Here I thought seeing the original UFO lineup back in ’94 at a small venue in Hollywood was one of the best concerts I went to; however, The Wall Live was like Bambi Meets Godzilla hands down! That was easily my BEST concert to date!

The Wall, even though it’s not my favorite Floyd album (Animals baby!), it’s the album that introduced me to a phenomenal band! It’s the album that introduced me to a style of Rock music that had intellect as well as sick melodies and grooves.

The Wall is a very important album to me personally as well as to the music world (in my opinion). It’s such a great sonic journey, and the story itself is an observation on Pink’s emotional construction and the Isolation of the Self.

As a huge fan, I love most things Pink Floyd, and I love this thread! I’m giving this thread a huge Philthy Hug!

Thanks for the thread OP!
edit on 6/6/2012 by the_philth because: Because the OCD in me told me to.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

The film is hard work, even for an avid fan. I think Waters had a hard job convincing Geldof to participate, but it did stand Geldof in good stead, reference Live 8!
In reference to your friend, and testing his knowledge as it were, I remember being in a nightclub in St Albans in the late 90's, when this track came on, and everyone went wild for it, in a transe like state. A friend in our group said that he thought this track was awesome, and he had never heard it before, it must be a new band or something...... It was Any Colour You Like! Only 25 years old or so at the time!

Am sure I could reword the Fletcher Memorial Home to bring it up to date with Bush, Blair etc. Would still sound just as fresh as it did in '83.

There is no doubt that Roger Waters was grossly affected by the death of his father in the war, and this spills out in buckets all over his writing. He, like Syd Barrett, had little or no time for the establishment.
Where do you think The Final Cut track and others off the album fit into the Wall playlist? The Final Cut sounds so much like Comfortably Numb it is almost an extension of it.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join