It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider they expect to discover the Higgs boson particle by the end of 2012!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Perhaps just a coincidence on the date but I hope it's not some time in December.

Could this be the real cause of the Prophecies?

bbc

Researchers working at the Large Hadron Collider have said they expect to discover the Higgs boson particle by the end of 2012.
If the LHC does not turn up evidence of the Higgs during this run, physicists say they may have to significantly alter their views of physical laws.
The Higgs boson particle explains why other particles have mass, but it has not yet been observed by physicists. The LHC is housed in a 27km-long tunnel under the French-Swiss border. It smashes together proton particles travelling at close to the speed of light in a bid to uncover secrets of the Universe. According to Professor Tom LeCompte of the Argonne National Laboratory, US, who works at the LHC: "The most likely place for the Higgs to be is in a very good place for us to discover it in the next two years." The LHC has now restarted after its winter shut down - and is about to embark on a run of work that could make or break the current view of how the Universe was formed.

The most widely accepted theory of particle physics requires the existence of the Higgs - and the detection of this particle is one of the LHC's main objectives. If the collider does not detect the Higgs within two years, researchers say they will know that it does not exist - at least in the form required by the Standard Model, the framework which was devised to explain the behaviour of fundamental particles. "The Higgs is one model of many," according to Professor LeCompte.
"It's a model that we like. It's simple, its elegant, but it's entirely possible that there is something else beyond the Higgs that does its job instead, and what we may discover is instead of the Higgs itself we may discover something much more interesting. "There could be multiple Higgses or there could be something completely different doing the same job as the Higgs in a completely different way." But he adds that not finding the Higgs may be more exciting than finding it - because researchers may have to modify their current view of sub-atomic physics. "If we don't see it after this two year run it means that something is perhaps not the way that we think it is, either the Higgs search itself had to be amended in some way or some of its indirect evidence may be pointing us in the wrong direction," said Professor LeCompte.

edit on 28-2-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

too many "coincidences" ...
maybe we'll see something interesting in 2012 after all!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Not finding the higgs boson may be just as exciting as finding it, lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

And they couldnt just put it off another year to be nice....

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I just don't get what the point is? I mean, we seriously spend money looking for something that we don't have a definite answer to? Ok so we find this particle, then what? I honestly don't think we'll ever find it out unless we can somehow go back in time 3.5 trillion years ago and just wait for the Bang.
edit on 28-2-2011 by pacofunk64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I did send an e mail to a female scientist at the LHC explaining, why it is unlikely that they will find the higgs boson.
A body or particle feels its mass cos, it is restrained in 3 spatial dimensions and it rather occupy more than 3 dimensions. They may find missing energy in particle collisions but no specific higgs boson.
My email though was unanswered

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
And what if they don't find it?
Many theories linking with String theory as well would have to be adapted as well.

Finding Higg, the 'God' particle would be highly interesting indeed and just another successful step onto this long path ahead.
If it does exist, that is.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
So far quantum theory has been proven correct by these experiments. The first time they smashed 2 electrons together and found way more particles than expected, sparked this race. All the pieces are falling together. The final particle, which some call the "god" particle is the last expected particle to find. It will be the one to explain mass. If they find it, quantum theory is right, and we have pulled back the layers to the very base level of reality.

If they don't find it, we have to rethink physics and string theory as well as quantum theory. It would be a step back, but also an amazing time to live in, much like when Einstein explained the physical world to us.

does this have anything to do with 2012, no not really as they will probably have to shut down a few more times and through it off schedule again. Does this have anything to do with Mayan prophecies? No, why? Because the Mayans never wrote a prophecy about the end of the world or anything even remotely close to that. Jackasses in the 80s made that up and simply reading the wiki about 2012 can clear that up for you, as it did for me when i asked about it here. (pro tip, i'm right and all of the people studying the Mayans agree with me)

Why are we looking for this particle? Why wouldn't we? Why would we choose to remain in the dark ages when we are finally at the point of understanding?! We can trace the history of the universe to it's beginning. now we're aiming at the infinitely small.

If your into science, being able to actually understand and explain the foundational layers of reality is something infinitely important.

If you are into religion, isn't understanding the base layers of reality the closest to god you will ever get?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Um just sayen you look for a GOD partical to prove how universe was made w/o GOD. Then cant be mad if you get an anti god to jump thru those portals can you... They dont even acknowledge they are leaving open with those collisions holes in space time. Just because the dissapear to the humaneye... Anti matter maching is it hard to except any thing that may make it thru will b eof the anti nature. This like movies the mist-howard the duck-the gate ect. Why study things you cannot practice run on it makes YOU THE TEST RATS. SMH

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Some guy at the LHC's public relations is probably reading up on all these threads about LHC and 2012 higgs bosom causing the end of the world and laughing his head off at the prank they have played on people...

It's a great practical joke. I know I would be laughing

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Anyone else see the possibility that they don't find it and instead ditch Particle Physics all together to be replaced by Quantum Physics?

I am hoping that will be the case.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
If they don't find the particle what will happen to the accelerator? Would it be used for other studies or would it be dismantled but when you consider the cost of this experiment it must have a very important 'value' other than proving a theory surely.

When I first read about the HLC and surrounding scepticism I wonder how in the world permission was given to undergo such studies and who gave the ok.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pacofunk64

If scientists don't do the pure research then we wont make the fundamental discoveries necessary for engineers to simplify and implement in the next generation of big breakthrough technology.

Science is not just engineering. You need both.

If nobody was willing to fund basic research I would be sending you this message rolled up in the leg of a carrier pigeon.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
And what if they don't find it?
Many theories linking with String theory as well would have to be adapted as well.

Finding Higg, the 'God' particle would be highly interesting indeed and just another successful step onto this long path ahead.
If it does exist, that is.

In the long path ahead, indeed there may be tech spinoffs, even if they dont find the higgs.
Pure research never goes waste.
But more interesting than higgs is the holometer that fermilab was developing. Dont know how far they have come with that, which will prove that our reality is only 2 dimensional and that we live in a hologram.

new topics

top topics

join