It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian couple lose their High Court battle to foster children because they are against homosexual

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
As a gay woman, I don't understand why there can't be a balance in this. After all, everyone wants the same thing - a secure and safe environment for the children involved.

Before I explain further, I totally believe that this couple are fully entitled to their opinions on homosexuality and the fact they do not believe homosexuality to be acceptable does not automatically mean they are homophobic. I also believe the fact their beliefs are based on Christian values is actually irrelevant to this entire debate.

So...

A child is placed with such a couple and the issue of homosexuality arises. They don't consider this lifestyle acceptable. However, do they ram this down the child's throat with the passioned fervour of a Westboro Church member? Or do they explain to the child why some people think different things, why they believe what they believe and reinforce the child's right to believe whatever they feel is right for them?

They are entitled to their beliefs and sharing these with the child does not have to be tantamount to indoctrination.

So, the child declares they're gay. Do the couple go mad, express all manner of tales about fire, hell and brimstone before casting the child out into the streets? Or do they support the child, continuing to provide unconditional love and security, whilst quietly making their own beliefs known without imposing them?

Just because they don't believe the lifestyle is acceptable does not necessarily mean they would withdraw love and support from any child that displayed a tendency towards it.

Above I've portrayed two very different couples: One who display homophobic behaviour, in addition to other characteristics of individuals who arguably wouldn't have been selected as foster parents in the first place (regardless of the homosexuality issue); the second hold their views close to their heart and lives (a couple who don't believe homosexuality's acceptable), but at the same time will also provide a safe, secure and nurturing environment for a child who will ultimately form their own view of the world.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it's not always cut and dried. Just because you believe something is unacceptable, doesn't mean that you are anti-them, hate the people involved and withdraw all manner of love/respect/support etc.

I grew up in an actively Christian environment. I knew my parents views from before I even realised I was gay. But I have known complete support, respect, safety and unconditional love. I continue to have a complete respect for their views and to the same end, although they still cannot agree with my lifestyle, they have never judged, harassed or been anything other than supportively loving.

If other couples who hold these views can do that - and I totally can't understand why they could not unless they're hiding homophobia behind the veil of Christianity - then I see no issue with a child being fostered into such an environment.

Just my 2p... albeit a hefty serving

edit on 28/2/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bossdog82

It isnt even so much God's own wrath but a persons own realization that they can never compare to the righteousness of God in the spirit which is why you put yourself in hell not God you consume yourself. But he created a way to bypass (fulfill really) what is called the Law but its a Law of life. That's how righteous this really is.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaticDill
reply to post by Annee

Your denying what is.

You are preaching to me again.

I do not appreciate it.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

Before I explain further, I totally believe that this couple are fully entitled to their opinions on homosexuality and the fact they do not believe homosexuality to be acceptable does not automatically mean they are homophobic. I also believe the fact their beliefs are based on Christian values is actually irrelevant to this entire debate.

Except the people thinking of placing a child there somehow became aware of their beliefs on the issue. Either they readily advertised their position, or the officials saw something amiss and questioned it further. It seems to me if the officials had concerns, and the court upheld the concerns, then the couple must have been openly homophobic, or militantly Christian. It isn't their Christian faith, it is probably their militant fanaticism that was the problem.

Personally, I have seen sports fan fanatics that I would question putting a child in their home. If someone is so fanatical in any belief to raise concerns by total strangers, then they shouldn't be fostering children.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

absolutely correct IMO

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bossdog82
Well so if a man lays with another man they are both to be thrown in the firey pits of hell mmmmmm

So does that mean when a preist prays on little boys the preist is sending himself and the VICTIM to hell??

Do you really think that the all powerful god you bible nuts talk about would let one if his...um servants have his way with a innocent child??

I really hate how religious people hide behind THE WORD OF GOD just to suit a well outdated belief when really there is not proof that it truly is the word of a god
If we all lived in the word of god then I want a slave at my house also I will kill my children if they go against god also my wife will tend to my every need wether she likes it or not because I am man and she is inferior to me because she is a woman. My son has more rights than her in my house as she is just a meir female

I think the courts did a really good thing just because they are religious dont mean they are automaticly good parents

The point I was trying to make but couldn't. Thank you. Couldn't of said it better myself.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm sure you don't its not preaching in any sense. I'm telling you what I saw. And let me just be frank here and say that your own justification and righteousness can never be takin to this place.

None shall be let into heaven unless they have the mind of a child. You have no idea how true this really is.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
If members of the KKK were to adopt I'd hope someone in their right mind would deny their application. Hate begat hate and people are trying to stop it.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

That may indeed be the case. Actually, I would hope that this situation getting as far as it has IS because it's based on something "more" than what's been shared in the press.

That said, I also know how ridiculously PC UK council's can be. So who knows...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I'm sure you don't its not preaching in any sense.

You are preaching.

You are not just telling me what you saw.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You keep thinking that im directing it towards you. I doubt you even know what im saying is either my words or the book's. Because really the more you understand the more the lines blur between the Word and reality. Because it is itself.

It says the Word became flesh and that was Jesus.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
If members of the KKK were to adopt I'd hope someone in their right mind would deny their application. Hate begat hate and people are trying to stop it.

That is an extreme belief/behavior. The same can be said about Christians or any other ideology.

Gays are just regular people who are attracted to same sex.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

You keep thinking that im directing it towards you. I doubt you even know what im saying is either my words or the book's. Because really the more you understand the more the lines blur between the Word and reality. Because it is itself.

It says the Word became flesh and that was Jesus.

If you are quoting and addressing my name - - uh yeah - - I think you are directing it toward me. Duh!

I don't give a Flying Fart - - - about some "Word" you believe. That is preaching.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Bigotry is bigotry. Would you be as upset if the decision was against a member of a White Supremacy Organization? Personally I think that being a bigot is immoral, but that is my own personal opinion and is not relevant....what IS relevant, is that bigotry of this nature is not socially acceptable in England. So yes...I applaud a decision that keeps bigots from fostering children.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

This is the best news I've heard all day! Christians need some personal disillusionment.
The arrogance, close mindedness, and ignorance is astounding.

The Christian message to the world: "Our way is the only way and if you don't do it our way you'll suffer forever!"

I'm not buying it and anyone who does deserves to live a life of fear and to be riddled with resentment and hatred towards those who refuse to step in line.

Homosexuals > Christians

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Just quoting what you said yourself.

I dont have to because the Word does the work for you. Your belligerence is due to your own lack of understanding that's a real as I can put it.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Yes, Dendro, I agree. As I'm sure, they would deny them. But most white supremacists, wont walk in and straight up tell the adoption agent they are KKK. But what if, the adoption agent, is in a suit, but a Klan member and the secret was loose that both the agent and family are members of the KKK would the approval go through?

I'm sure it has a good chance. The point I'm trying to make. christians can walk right in most places and be treated as, well, as such. And they have a pretty good shot at approval just on that fact alone. why?

link   
reply to post by brianmg5

Christian's work to understand the human condition more than anything. True Christains strive to acheieve personal perfection in their thoughts and actions, without sin no "disillusionment" the truth hurts my freind, but to get to the root of the issue you have to understand what has been written because wheter or not anyone believes it, it was still the truth in the firmament between this earth and the heaven's

link   
reply to post by Annee

Exactly. There is a definite advantage to same-sex couples is that when they want a kid it is something totally planned for, never an accident or unwanted.

Besides, we know MSM likes to use propaganda and there could have been other flags on the application that ultimately led to them being denied.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Are they bigots though?

They don't believe homosexuality is acceptable. They may hold this view without vehement intolerance, hostility or animosity. They may hold this view without treating a homosexual differently or even without a homosexual in their midst knowing. Does that still make them bigots?

Genuine question

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join