It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space shuttle Discovery docks with International Space Station for the last time (amazing pics)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/69f353d9699b.jpg[/atsimg]

Space shuttle Discovery has docked at the International Space Station on its final visit before becoming a museum.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/769e62e5a1d8.jpg[/atsimg]
Incoming: Discovery approaches the International Space Station in the early hours of yesterday morning. The shuttle, on its final voyage, will spend a week at the orbiting outpost

The shuttle, on its final voyage, will spend a week at the orbiting outpost and has delivered supplies and the first humanoid robot to fly in space. A spacewalk is planned at the ISS later today when two of Discovery's visiting crew will float outside to move a broken ammonia pump and install an extension cable, among other chores.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e94d283ed90d.jpg[/atsimg]
Touch down: Discovery docks with the ISS for the last time. It is delivering supplies and the first humanoid robot to fly in space

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa943668d12d.jpg[/atsimg]
Easy does it: A special camera records the intricate skill the astronauts have to use to dock the shuttle at the space station

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Well, the end of an era. I have been posting much about the Shuttle program. Mostly after I saw the IMAX presentation of HUBBLE! (If you get a chance, go see it-at an IMAX theater!).

Anyway, I won't waste time. Just look at the pics and know you are seeing history. No matter where the program(s) go, it won't be like the shuttle.

I think the Shuttle Program caught the hearts of many of us (in the 35-60 range mostly).

enjoy. (Daivd Bowie's "This is Major Tom to Ground Control......."----- playing in the background....
(

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Come on now, don't be shy.

The flags are greatly appreciated but I really want to hear/read what
you have to say/think about the pictures and the whole shuttle ending etc.

You won't be seeing these types of photos anymore. End of an era.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Absolutely beautiful photos, it makes me sad that this is ending, money is going sadly to the military and not to NASA. I have watched every launch and landing, the good along with the bad, The Challenger tragedy is something I shall never forget, and also Columbia.

The shuttle program has been very successful overall and we are using some technologies that were tested aboard the space station today.

S&F

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

This is really sad. I've never seen a shuttle in person, but I always liked watching them on tv. I remember I was almost 10 when the Challenger exploded and it affected me majorly... I was upset for days.

So, what happens with the space program now? I have't exactly been keeping up with it. How will those aboard the ISS return to the Earth if the shuttle is being retired? I honestly feel kind of dumb for not knowing this stuff already. What replaces the shuttle?

Thanks for posting the pics! It's hard to believe that this is the last time we'll be seeing pics like this!
edit on 2/28/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by anon72

This is really sad. I've never seen a shuttle in person, but I always liked watching them on tv. I remember I was almost 10 when the Challenger exploded and it affected me majorly... I was upset for days.

So, what happens with the space program now? I have't exactly been keeping up with it. How will those aboard the ISS return to the Earth if the shuttle is being retired? I honestly feel kind of dumb for not knowing this stuff already. What replaces the shuttle?

Thanks for posting the pics! It's hard to believe that this is the last time we'll be seeing pics like this!
edit on 2/28/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

The ORION space craft will be replacing the Shuttle.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

As was already said, the shuttle will be replaced by Orion capsule, that will be capable of flights beyond low Earth orbit, to the Moon or near-Earth asteroids. New shuttle derived rocket is also going to be developed by NASA to launch the Orion and cargo.

en.wikipedia.org...(spacecraft)

Then there are the results of NASA commercial transportation program to support private companies, namely SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule to carry astronauts and cargo to low Earth orbit, and SpaceDevs Dreamchaser, small shuttle intedned to carry astronauts.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
It maybe replaced but not forgotten.

I think that it must be a generational thing.

But, overall, the country's overall interest in Space has declined dramatically in the last few years and I don't think that is a good thing. The program needs all of us to care and to be interested in it. To support it. It is our future. IMO.

Maybe I am just getting old.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by anon72

How will those aboard the ISS return to the Earth if the shuttle is being retired?

The shuttle isn't the only manned space program out there

The Soyuz spacecraft has been the main mode of transport for the ISS crews for many years. Three astronauts go up in the Soyuz, stay on the ISS for six months, then get down in the same Soyuz craft. During their stay, the Soyuz can serve as a "lifeboat" in case of an emergency.

Read more here: en.wikipedia.org...
And if you're on Facebook, join my group for Soyuz
www.facebook.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

You got my interest. I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

You got my interest. I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks.

Same. I'm planning on joining NASA or the ESA as an astronaut some time, maybe even go to Mars. =P

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Thanks Davian and Maslo. Good info!

I read up a little on Orion last night, after I asked the question. As much as I hate that the shuttle is being retired, I'm excited about what they'll be doing next.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye reply to post by anon72 How will those aboard the ISS return to the Earth if the shuttle is being retired? The shuttle isn't the only manned space program out there The Soyuz spacecraft has been the main mode of transport for the ISS crews for many years. Three astronauts go up in the Soyuz, stay on the ISS for six months, then get down in the same Soyuz craft. During their stay, the Soyuz can serve as a "lifeboat" in case of an emergency. Read more here: en.wikipedia.org... And if you're on Facebook, join my group for Soyuz www.facebook.com...

Thanks! I'm starting to feel how far behind I am on all this, lol. Excellent info. I joined your facebook group. Lots of good stuff there!
I'm going to go check it out.

top topics

join