It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-austerity protesters invade and occupy 40 branches of banks in the UK to protest bailouts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Nice!

Bank protesters turn branches into services

Anti-cuts activists opposed to the bank bailout occupied 40 branches across the country on Saturday, pilling on the pressure against RBS, Lloyds and Natwest.

The action co-ordinated by UK Uncut saw people set up "essential services" in banks, including creches, hospitals, libraries and job centres on Saturday.

Campaigners pointed out that the banking bailout had cost billions but had only led to super profits for the rich, while the government is gearing up to slash public spending.

In Islington, North London, 50 activists set up a laundry in an RBS branch in reaction to cuts to services for the elderly, including a much-needed laundry service.

Local Labour MP Jeremy Corbyn who took part in the action saluted UK Uncut: "The banks caused the crisis of 2008. Public money bailed them out and now the poorest pay the price."

Public anger surged following RBS's announcement that, after making a loss of £1.1bn, the 83 per cent publicly owned bank still paid out £950m in bonuses - including a £2m bonus for chief executive Stephen Hester.

That's nice! And all over the country! We needs THOUSANDS of people in EVERY BANK who accepted a bailout... and people need to stay in those banks, blocking business till those big banks are forced to close.

Those bastards screwed us all, and got paid billions (trillions really) for it. SHUT DOWN THE BIG BANKS.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

That's great..People can win if enough are prepared to leave their TV's and keyboards and protest instead..

But I do hope these protesters remember who gave the banks the bailouts and protest Government offices also..

S&F vit

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
UK uncut seem to be taking a really innovative way of protesting, we have seen from Egypt that peaceful protest is the way forward, violence just gets met with violence.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I think every person should get a glass bottle , filled with GASOLINE (WHILE IT'S STILL "CHEAP" ) , some old shirt and a lighter!
JUST IN CASE THEY GET BEAT BY POLICE!
SET THEM ON FIRE!

bankers , police , politicians NO ONE ESCAPES!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
That's really interesting. I'd like to see more video. The protest style almost defies belief. I'm supprised the police didn't send in the heavies to break the peace and crack some heads.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Wow this is really interesting, I never saw any of this where i live on Saturday, but I guess it was concentrated in certain areas, good on the people to fight back, this seems to be happening more and more, I think it is all a necessary revolution for us to evolve after all nothing stays the same forever

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Unfortunately there's no choice but austerity. If government spends, they're not going to get money from the banks, they'll get it from your family.

What choice does the government have other than to tax you directly or through the stealth tax of inflation?

Here in the USA we're playing a game of kick-the-can-down-the-road so whoever is in power next has to address the problem of spending when there's no revenue.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well done to those people!

I understand Iceland didn't bail its banks and appears not only to have survived but has also come up with a nifty idea of supplying heat to the European mainland from their volcanoes. How clever, you are exporting something yet you haven't got the polution of many manufacturing outlets.

I can't find anything about how much the war in Afganistan is costing us however I would rather see that money put into improving the infrastructure of this country and feel at least my tax is improving things for me through to my grandchildren's future.

new topics

top topics

join