It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi intellectuals call for sweeping reforms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Saudi intellectuals call for sweeping reforms

news.yahoo.com

More than 100 leading Saudi academics and activists are pressing
King Abdullah to enact sweeping reforms.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Looks like someone is getting nervous. Rightly so.
For the rest of us , we should be nervous as well because
oil prices could skyrocket further. This returns us to the issue
of dependence on foreign oil as a threat to security. Strong incentives need to be created to help forward the development
of new energy technologies and alternatives before a situation reaches critical mass. Not After. In the meantime it is good to see
some of the leaders of these countries at least considering taking the steps to manage their societies properly to avoid
all out disruption.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

The reforms in SA are long overdue. May those men of conscience - the SA academics and activists be allowed to live even if the reforms are not taken into consideration by the king. Human lives are precious, more so good men. There's only so few left on the planet.

In China today, such men would have been executed or made to 'disappear'.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Completely agree about reform being long overdue in SA, as well as other countries in the region. As far as oil goes, I think the US should seize on this moment to push alternative fuel / energy sources soner, rather than later.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
As much as would like to believe its because they care about their fellow citizens... It looks more like a move to save their arses.. Self-preservation makes a strong motivator...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I think this is somthingI'm going to keep an eye on if the house of saud falls or even stumbles food prices (via oil) are going to hit the roof

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yeah, if this contagion continues, we are in trouble. Big monopolistic oil and their suppression of
of new innovations in energy technology are a threat to national security at this point. Remember
that electric car in California some years back? The Chevy EV 1 I think it was. Tell me big oil didn't
close the casket on that.

Link to short Youtube clip of documentary:

www.youtube.com...

At any rate, it appears the Saudis are recognizing that intelligent people living on a pittance, the lack
of jobs, and a repressed society are the ingredients for revolt. Especially when the "elite" are sitting
on hundreds of billions in the chest. I hope they move quickly on this, otherwise we'll be walking.
It sure would be nice to have a horse wouldn't it?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I agree with you expat, it is highly unusual for greed heads of any sort (from any country) for that matter,
to do something like this out of the kindness of their hearts. Current leaders of the world seem to have
forgotten history. A content and prosperous people give rise to a lasting "kingdom". Whereas, poverty
and oppression always give rise to revolt. It is just a matter of pressure and time.

new topics

top topics

join