It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water Fluoridation and its Aura of Apathy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
While at work today, one of the customers I dealt with happened to be the supplier of the water jugs for the staff water cooler. He informed me it was his company when he saw one of the jugs on the floor. I had previously noticed that the water contained fluoride, so I inquired him as to why this was the case. He just shrugged it off and said it was part of 'the process'. Typical apathetic and ignorant, average human response (nothing I'm not used to). Just another example of why you need to be weary about anything you consume, be it provided by a government or private enterprise. I would talk to my boss about it, but I'll just let this one slide seeing how I'm always the one at work to be pushing for environmentally sound practices and non-toxic, natural products. I don't want to bother the guy excessively, not to mention he's been through a lot recently. I don't need to drink the water from work anyway and I live outside the city limits, receiving my water from a well. Even when I was living inside Fredericton N.B's city center, I was fortunate enough to avoid water fluoridation because the city of Fredericton does not fluoridate its supply. Unfortunately, two larger New Brunswick cities, Moncton and St. John (the oldest incorporated city in Canada) are subjected to fluoridated water. People are voicing their concerns about the issue in Moncton and a campaign against fluoridation seems to be gaining ground.

www.cbc.ca...

The CBC seems to have framed the issue in this article in defense of fluoride because if the poor didn't have access to fluoride in the public water, it would have adverse effects on their dental health.

Now, I know there are some ignorant slobs out there... but even if you're poor, you can probably afford a toothbrush twice a year and you don't even need toothpaste to prevent tooth decay. The simple act of brushing will reduce the incidence of decay. I don't use fluoridated toothpaste or drink fluoridated water and I've never had a cavity in my life!

I sincerely hope that Moncton follows Calgary Alberta's recent decision to cease fluoridating its water and I would like to congratulate all those who pushed to make that a reality.

www.edmontonjournal.com...

There are many reasons to reject water fluoridation...

Endemic Fluorosis

Paul E. McGill Available online 23 February 2006. Summary The presence of excessive quantities of fluorine in drinking water is accompanied by a characteristic sequence of changes in teeth, bone and periarticular tissues. These changes lead to a variable degree of locomotor disability, ranging from simple mechanical back pain to severe, crippling, combined locomotor and neurological impairment. In endemic areas, a substantial proportion of the population may be affected, posing a severe public health problem. In some areas, the hazards to human health are not fully appreciated and are under-reported. The maximum impact is felt in those communities engaged in physically strenuous activities, either agricultural or industrial. The need of these often isolated communities in economically hard-pressed countries, for the provision of low-fluoride drinking water remains a hope rather than an expectation at the present time.

Source: scholar.google.ca...

Many researchers conclude there is a high probability that water fluoridation had its origins in Nazi concentration camps.

"At the end of the Second World War, the United States Government sent Charles Eliot Perkins, a research worker in chemistry, biochemistry, physiology and pathology, to take charge of the vast Farben chemical plants in Germany. While there he was told of a scheme which had been worked out by them during the war and adopted by the German General Staff. This was to control the population in any given area through mass medication of drinking water. In this scheme sodium fluoride occupied a prominent place. Repeated doses of infinitesimal amounts of fluoride will in time reduce an individual's power to resist domination by slowly poisoning and narcotisizing a certain area of the brain and will thus make him submissive to the will of those who wish to govern him. Both the Germans and the Russians added sodium fluoride to the drinking water of prisoners-of-war to make them stupid and docile." (Reference: Victorian Hansard of 12th August 1987).

www.fluoridationfacts.com...

I hope people can disseminate information and spark debate, and more importantly action. I believe the studies performed on the subject strongly support that it is harmful to human health and needs to be removed from public water supplies.
edit on 28-2-2011 by OrganicAnagram33 because: Non-functional link

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
You know, its really interesting to put the whole flouride debate into perspective. Imagine in your minds eye (if you still can) a piece of paper with two separate T-charts like you saw in high school on it. The first one with the known positive and negative effects of flouride on it. The second with the known positive and negative effects of hemp (marijuana) on it. Would be pretty obvious which is more dangerous really quickly. If you wanted to add lists of possible applications to usable and beneficial products it would be ridiculously lopsided as well. Go back to sleep America, you're gov't is in control.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Nice post OrganicAnagram33, very informative.

I found these links contained some good information on the topic as welll:
An Alex Jones broadcast

Water fluorination info from the natural foods company Bragg

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Fluoride? What fluoride? Wait until they add Lithium and you will not remember or care anything much about fluoride.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Very true budaruskie.

Yeah AnotherYOU, I've read that BBC article before, disturbing. We mustn't forget about the ever present trace amounts of pharmaceuticals in our public water either.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.sciencebase.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 22ndsecond

Pretty cool that Bragg has fluoride info on their site.

Looked into a few of the things Alex was talking about and found the news broadcast he was citing.

It talks about how there is unknown chemicals going into the system. Never seems to stop surprising/not surprising me simultaneously.
edit on 28-2-2011 by OrganicAnagram33 because: Wrong video

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
anything that was originally used as rat poison is not something I want to ingest in my water.
Or anything else for that matter!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
www.fluoridealert.org...

1) 97% of western Europe has chosen fluoride-free water
2) Fluoride is the only chemical added to drinking water for the purpose of medication (to prevent tooth decay).
3) Contrary to previous belief, fluoride has minimal benefit when swallowed.
4) Fluoridated water is no longer recommended for babies.
5) There are better ways of delivering fluoride than adding it to water.
6) Ingestion of fluoride has little benefit, but many risks.
7) The industrial chemicals used to fluoridate water may present unique health risks not found with naturally-occurring fluoride complexes
8) Water fluoridation’s benefits to teeth have been exaggerated.
9) Fluoridation poses added burden and risk to low-income communities.
10) Due to other sources, many people are being over-exposed to fluoride

See the link for more details and sources on those items. I think these two are the most notable, aside from fluoride actually damaging teeth (enamel mottling) while being sold as a benefit to your teeth:

a) Risk to the brain. According to the National Research Council (NRC), fluoride can damage the brain. Animal studies conducted in the 1990s by EPA scientists found dementia-like effects at the same concentration (1 ppm) used to fluoridate water, while human studies have found adverse effects on IQ at levels as low as 0.9 ppm among children with nutrient deficiencies, and 1.8 ppm among children with adequate nutrient intake. (7-10)

b) Risk to the thyroid gland. According to the NRC, fluoride is an “endocrine disrupter.” Most notably, the NRC has warned that doses of fluoride (0.01-0.03 mg/kg/day) achievable by drinking fluoridated water, may reduce the function of the thyroid among individuals with low-iodine intake. Reduction of thyroid activity can lead to loss of mental acuity, depression and weight gain (11)

Feds To Lower Fluoride Limits For Water To Avoid Tooth Damage
edit on 10-4-2011 by Nefarious because: (no reason given)

top topics

join