It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wildfires in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Didn't know if I should put this in breaking news or fragile earth....

I haven't heard anything about this on the news yet.

Here is one article on wildfires in texas
www.dallasnews.com...

According to this myhighplains.com... which is local news for Texas there are several fires in several places, evacuations taking place and people losing power.

And to top it all off here is the weather outlook for the area www.srh.noaa.gov... wind gusts upto 35mph !!

Here is something from the texas forest service from feb 11 txforestservice.tamu.edu... It seems this has been going on for a while and is starting to get out of hand. Also causing accidents and burning down homes. hosted.ap.org... www.reporternews.com...

Again, I haven't heard this on the news and did an ATS search and nothing came up. Anyone down there in Texas, stay safe.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

Hmm I saw a fire a few weeks ago over here in Texas right next to the road in a field took an awesome vid

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
txforestservice.tamu.edu...
Quote from the website:
Sunday, Feb. 27, 2011 - 10:16 a.m.

Recent response:

· In the past seven days, Texas Forest Service responded to 52 fires for 18,990 acres.

· Yesterday (Saturday, Feb. 26), Texas Forest Service responded to four fires for 190 acres. The largest was a 180-acre fire in Potter County.

· The 4,800 acre Gus Canalas Fire in Jim Wells County from Friday is expected to be contained this evening.

· 144 Texas counties are reporting burn bans.

What’s coming today:

· “The weather is in control” – NWS Meteorologist Greg Murdoch.

· A powerful storm system will threaten West Texas today. National Weather Service is predicting damaging winds of 35 to 45 mph with gusts possibly exceeding 60 mph. Extremely critical fire danger is anticipated with thick blowing dust and visibility of 1 mile or less.

· Expect:

o Rapid rates of spread

o Very intense burning

o Winds that trump fuel moisture

o Active burning to extend into the night

o Wind shift in South Texas tonight

edit on 27-2-2011 by mutantgenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I live in Lubbock and there are several wildfires in our region. Plus, the sky was thick with red dust all day. Never went out into it but that stuff seems to creep in through any way it can!! Hope it is better tomorrow as I MUST run some errands....

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Burning 110,000 acres, across west Texas, 60 homes destroyed.

www.chron.com...
lubbockonline.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Champagne
I live in Lubbock and there are several wildfires in our region. Plus, the sky was thick with red dust all day. Never went out into it but that stuff seems to creep in through any way it can!! Hope it is better tomorrow as I MUST run some errands....

Stay safe. Your errands can wait.....sounds messy down there. Lubbock county is West Texas right?

new topics

top topics

join