It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

theres is a on going world wide problem of adult and teenage Suicide rates going up every year

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Some of you people have clearly missed the point.

Are people more selfish and ego-centric, and that's why they're killing themselfs? Maybe. But the thread title is asking why is this.

Clearly people haven't always been like this, so we can logically assume there's causes for this. Clearly its not kids being kids. Or we wouldn't see massive difference in suicides not just country to country, but town to town.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think a huge problem is technology. Kids nowadays hide behind technology, and fail to produce support networks of good friends, who they truly know they can count on in tough times. Kids don't have playdates anymore, participate in sports as much, or just get a group of friends together to play ball after school or on the weekends. They play video games, text to no end, and IM eachother online. Not anywhere nearly as personal as I use to be growing up.

Another factor is parenting. Having two parents constantly there for their children isn't as common as it once was. Many families only have a single parent, for various reasons, who isn't as availaible because they're attempting to support a household on their own. Not as much time/attention devoted to their kids.

The there's all the crap we have in food, which I'm convinced has side effects which will become more pronounced in the future. There's also the fact a record number of chilfren are using prescription drugs. We can argue about the health benefits of those, which is a concern. But there's also the concern that when you're young, and a doctor prescribes you something and says you need this to function like other children, the doctor is basically telling the child there's something wrong with you, and you're not normal. All this can have negative effects on children.

Again, a major concern from my point of view is the declining emphasis put on friendships and family. A support network. Video game/internet have negated a large part of childhood most of us expereinced. Forming friendships, bonding, playing sports with friends, exploring, finding creative ways to pass time. And doctors constantly telling children there's something wrong with them doesn't help either.
edit on 28-2-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

Aside from all that, I'm a little surprised at a few of the comments in this thread. Everyone on this forum has been talking about progressing spiritually lately, and that we're all connected, and that spiritually we all need to take a collective step forward. Then some respond in a callous, unempathetic manner when talking about a record number of suicides. Makes me think some here use spirituality for convenience, like the religous use religion, and quicly ignore their princibles when it doesn;t fit their agenda, or true nature.

If another human being feeling hopeless enough to kill themselves doesn't bother you, and you can pass it off as a lazy generation, and gereralize it in that manner, well, you leave a lot to be desired as a human being.
edit on 28-2-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I came very close to committing suicide last year.

After being sick for about three years with chronic pain, chronic kidney stones, chronic hospitalizations I couldn't afford and then meds that were expensive as crap ... I found out that I would have to go and testify at a parole hearing for the man who raped me when I was sixteen. (He was a stranger, followed me home.)

I was finally diagnosed with Lupus which is affecting my kidneys. And I found the strength I needed to testify and held my head high.

I'm not going to criticize anyone who finds themselves in a situation where dying feels like the only option. Ever. Because I've been there. I can't find a job because of being sick. I can't get better because I can't always afford my medication. We rob Peter to pay Paul and I've sold just about everything valuable to me. But life is bigger than all of that.

Thank God I have a family who saw the warning signs and intervened. I wouldn't be here otherwise.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by girl_interrupted

we re glad for your awesome support as well..

its never an easy road to go down the way back can be just as bad ..

you have my greatest admireration and respect ..........

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Thank you so much.

Depression is a horrible, horrible affliction that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It's awfully easy sometimes for people to call someone a coward or worthless because they've chosen suicide, but I don't judge anyone. I haven't walked a mile in their shoes. Mine are hard enough to walk in.

I think it's wonderful that this thread was posted. I hope it can inspire someone who may be thinking of suicide to get help.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
As a survivor of suicide and depression, I can say its because there is a possible genetic component. If one has a severely depressed relative they have a higher chance of becoming depressed. With the medical help and support we have now we have more survivors passing on the genetic component of depression. Also there is still a stigma to suicide we still ignore it in children and teens.

Not to mention the media is constantly putting on depressing news stories, and there is so much hate in the world with protesters. wars and murders the world is being destroyed by humans. Another theory is that we are getting smarter and seeing the world as it is, bleak.

I know I sound all depressing I'm truly a happy person just not a good outlook on the world.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by girl_interrupted

see i was aslo a depressed teenager never took any of their meds either so i think i have become a much stronger woman for it . now im just pissed off at the world as a whole ...

that was my intent of this thread , before i posted it i made sure it hadnt been covered on here and lucky me its the first for ats ....

ps your very welcome ..

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

My cousin took his own life in April of last year. I never expected it, he was about to be 30 yrs. old. Two little kids and a wife. It was devastating to all, especially to my aunt and uncle. He didn't say anything to anyone, nor call for help. He was always the "tough one".

He had to move away from family because of his job being relocated. He had no moral support and was alone working by himself with strangers. The last thing any of my family knew, (my/his other cousin) is that he had gone home to his wife to ask her to move with the kids to where he was working. She wouldn't do it. My other cousin said that he seemed OK with that and cheerful. But two days later....

What I am trying to convey here is reach out to your loved ones, even if they don't call you...
Those who are contemplating suicide, don't always give alarm bells; especially strong males or females who are very independent.
If you are close family, you know what they've been through. If they stop talking, that's a good time to go see them. You might not get another chance.
Not everyone is a complainer,whiner or faker!
edit on 1-3-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Also want to say: If you're feeling that bad (suicidal or worse), don't assume that nobody wants to know. OK?

Sometimes your people/family are so wrapped up in what is going on, they are at the breaking point as well.... It may not be against you that they can't listen...

If nobody listens, call someone else. If they don't answer, go out and find someone who is in worse shape than you. And help them to stand so that you can as well....

In the town I live in, that's not very hard to do. Just go to the local highway overpasses. But don't go by yourself. Bring food and a friend, maybe some blankets.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Need to ease up on the drama there a bit. While suicide is a terrible thing there are considerably more people in the world year after year which means you will have more suicides however the actualy percentage suicide remains relatively the same. During years of extreme hardship, such as the great depression, has seen far greater numbers of suicides, percentage wise than we have to day so keep that in mind also.

Sorry to burst your thread here but some things need to stay in perspective.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Hello one and all..

me and a friend are writing a self help book for the suicidally inclined ..

entitled " understanding the suicidal mind"

since we both have attempted to do our selfs in years ago, we thought that the world is needing a book like ours ..

so if anybody has a story similior to ours and want to share , even if its just to get it off of your chest .. send me a u2u ..

cheers ...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Pressure!!!

Thats the most underlying cause of Suicide!!

It starts from schooldays and for some can keep going on through work and relationships!! And when work takes your time away from relationships.... you get the result of Suicide due to the fact that your relationship has broken down, then your work starts to suffer, then your mortgage payments begin to suffer.... after that you could become homeless.... once you hit homeless, you pretty much have nothing left to live for but some dont even make it that far, they commit suicide after the relationship has fallen.

Some do survive of course but it takes a strong heart, mind and willpower

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Just a question about suicide/self-harm. Does self-harm only entail cutting yourself????? I think that you can self-harm in many perhaps more subtle ways!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join