It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People have no class anymore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Just watching a few minutes of the Academy Awards and some lady who won (Don't know her name or the movie)
Gives her acceptance speech and just drops the F - bomb on TV.

This used to be a big deal to win an Oscar but now people can't even speak without using the F word in such a formal place.

I admit I use profane language more than I should but I don't do it in public places & around strangers - AND-
I sure wouldn't do it if I was on TV during some formal occasion.

edit on 1-3-2011 by Gazrok because: Corrected Awards Show from Grammy to Academy....

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
What do you expect..We live in a country with no morals, or self respect..

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
Just watching a few minutes of the Grammy Awards

This used to be a big deal to win an Oscar

Not the same awards ceremony.
What is it you are watching again?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I don't know if it is the lack of class or whether that American culture dictates that people should be "real" and be themselves, and if that means being classless and lacking respect, then so be it. Out with "prudish" behavior and in with doing what you want and feel. So "stop being so sensitive", "loosen up!", and enjoy the show.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Why let it bother you so much? who cares if people swear.. people put to much stalk into other peoples words... dont like what you see on TV? shut it off or sell the damn thing...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Jersey Shore and Snookie need to make an appearance in this thread talking about lack of class.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
You know I can relate. I do my fair share of cussing, but there are certain places and situations in which, cussing needs to stop.

The other day, I went with my sister, brother in law and their room mate, to a really fancy restaurant. We had sat down and were eating. But their roommates dad called her on her cell phone. Now I really don't care that she answered it... But she ended up getting into a fight with her dad on the phone.

She was loudly calling him every name in the book and then some. Really embarrassing. People staring and giving dirty looks... I am actually surprised she didn't get herself kicked out.

There does seem to be a general.... Lack of respect now days, in most situations... I don't know...

But yeah, I agree with you.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I used to curse constantly in both real life and via computer, until I started posting a lot on ATS, where profanity is not allowed. Now I hardly ever curse at all and I can feel the general tenor of my mind is more elevated and less crude.Yet another great thing ATS has done for me.

It's interesting I've read that curse words are stored in a different part of your brain than "normal" words, that's why sometimes people who've had brain damage can't speak "normally" anymore but can still curse without any difficulty. I wonder why things evolved/were set up that way; it must serve some purpose but I'm drawing a blank here.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
What do you expect..We live in a country with no morals, or self respect..

Yes indeed , one of the many benefits of being in the land of the free no? Free speech , free lunch, free for all , free of care , free to give yourself to strangers , free to sink as low as humanity can go with out a care in the world about others .JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD !

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I am not sure what show it was, I was just surfing though. Shows like that don't appeal to me because the people are so full of themselves.

How about an award show for people who work EVERY WEEK all year and don't make 10 million dollars per job done.

Anyways this thread was more an experiment than a rant I guess. Out of 7 replies I felt that 5 felt about as I do and only 2 felt it was ok do use profanity whenever and where ever.

It shhows me that a minority have no class or morals.... That is nice to know but I fear as time goes on the tide will turn.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I think I heard someone say that the f-bomb was dropped during the Oscars. If so, and they won, I dont think that it was intentional, like they were on a rant, but maybe overwhelmed with excitement, you know like if you won a million bucks.

That's a huge thing for those people, so I think they can get a pass for a slip of the tongue over a great moment for them.

Peace, NRE.
edit on 28-2-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: spell check

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I realize the Grammys aren't the Oscars but are there no Grace Kelly's and Humphry Bogart's left?

In a retro-kinda way, I miss old-Hollywood style, though most of it was before my time...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This was actually at the Oscars....

I think I heard someone say that the f-bomb was dropped during the Oscars. If so, and they won, I dont think that it was intentional, like they were on a rant, but maybe overwhelmed with excitement, you know like if you won a million bucks.

I saw it, and yes, it was obvious that she said it accidentally (and immediately apologized). She was utterly shocked she won (as was I...I expected it to be between two other actresses, to be honest)...supporting actress award. She was genuinely surprised and just flabbergasted. It was an honest mistake...but yes...not very classy.

new topics

top topics

join