It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army of Fake Social Media Friends to Promote Propaganda

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

It is basically just a sneaky extension of the whole "divide and conquer" psychological warfare that those have been so fond of using throughout recorded history. Proto and I actually always talk about this. haha

It's uses can be vast. On one hand these proxy personalities can be used to sort of steer opinion through constantly seemingly "different" people having a view that "agrees" with one another (lol), or they can be used to infiltrate certain groups or subject matters of discussion and undermine them or dig up any type of dirt, by playing the "buddy" or "mole", to first gain their trust and get in their good graces.

It's quite devious, but a tale as old as time. Just evolving with the times.

edit on 27-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Consider Facebook's ties with In-Q-Tel (aka CIA) and the rest of the inteligence agencies especially the IAO:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c63194a49c5.png[/atsimg]

edit on 27-2-2011 by pianopraze because: clarification

In-Q-Tel engages with entrepreneurs, growth companies, researchers, and venture capitalists to deliver technologies that provide superior capabilities for the CIA, DIA, NGA, and the larger Intelligence Community. In-Q-Tel concentrates on three broad commercial technology areas: software, infrastructure and materials sciences.

edit on 27-2-2011 by pianopraze because: added in-q-tel info

link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

It's always about divide and conquer Dimensional. It's a time-proven tactic. It's happening now and I believe that it happens even without man interfering; others can utilize this fact and exploit it because it IS in our nature and we CAN be programmed and swayed.

The ultimate question then becomes what can unite us
And of course this is when things fall apart for the PTB and things hit a restart point!
edit on 27-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: added

link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

This is probably the single most important issue that confronts the world today, and something that everyone alive needs to learn about and be aware of.

HB Gary's software effectively ends democracy as we know it, by creating an artificial majority through virtual people.

It is as dishonest as the day is long, and people all over the world need to move to have it outlawed and the most severe penalties imaginable for it's use....

Well said. But I would not hold my breath.

In 1917 J.P. Morgan bought enough newspapers to control the news. Now JP Morgan controls 54 U.S. daily newspapers,and owns 31 television stations.

After controlling how we think for over a hundred years do you really believe the Elite are going to give up that advantage especially when their hands are soaked in the blood of innocents??

All this tells us is how important the internet has become. How important it is for us to keep spreading the truth.

Whether they hire "Jim" and "Orange cloud" to spread their lies or whether they use puppets, it does not matter. The Elite have the money to hire as many real or virtual puppets as they wish, after all the stole all that money from us.

....Money being taken from people who are working hard providing the material and the labor. They don't even know that this is being taken from them and it's in this huge river of wealth flowing into the banking cartel. It's a staggering thought.

You are led to the question of where is this river flowing? Where's it going? ...They're not buying more yachts and mansions with this money, they've already got all of those they possibly want.... When a person has all the wealth that you could possibly want for the material pleasures of life, what is left? Power. They are using this river of wealth to acquire power over you and me and our children.

They are spending it to acquire control over the power centers of society. The power centers are those groups and institutions through which individuals live and act and rely on for their information. They are literally buying up the world but not the real estate and the hardware, they're buying control over the organizations, the groups and institutions that control people. In other words, to be specific, they are buying control over politicians, political parties, television networks, cable networks, newspapers, magazines, publishing houses, wire services, motion picture studios, universities, labor unions, church organizations, trade associations, tax-exempt foundations, multi-national corporations, boy scouts, girl scouts, you name it. Make your own list of organizations and you will find that this is where those people have been for many decades spending this river of wealth to acquire operational control particularly over those institutions and individuals, those organizations that represent opposition to themselves. That's a critical area for expenditure on their part.

This process has gone on not only to a marked degree in America and in the other industrialized nations of the world, but it has gone on in the so-called third world or underdeveloped nations to such a degree that I would say the process is now complete. They own these countries already. Have you ever wondered what's going on there at the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank? Kind of an obscure operation isn't it? you don't read much about it except once in a while on the back page of the newspaper you find out that Congress at the insistence of the President authorized another $100 billion for the International Monetary Fund. And then the article tells you that this money will be used to make loans to underdeveloped nations or grants to them to raise their standard of living.... www.bigeye.com...

If you do not know about the the International Monetary Fund and the Structural Adjustment Programs

"Today I resigned from the staff of the International Monetary Fund after over 12 years, and after 1000 days of official fund work in the field, hawking your medicine and your bag of tricks to governments and to peoples in Latin America and the Caribbean and Africa. To me, resignation is a priceless liberation, for with it I have taken the first big step to that place where I may hope to wash my hands of what in my mind's eye is the blood of millions of poor and starving peoples. Mr. Camdessus, the blood is so much, you know, it runs in rivers. It dries up too; it cakes all over me; sometimes I feel that there is not enough soap in the whole world to cleanse me from the things that I did do in your name and in the name of your predecessors, and under your official seal. "

With those words, Davison Budhoo, a senior economist with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for more than 12 years, publicly resigned in May, 1988. www.thirdworldtraveler.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
A few clues to look for to spot fakes / multiples.
1. Gramaticle structure - no two people speak exactly the same.
2. Parroting word for word or nearly the same as the "official" version.
3. Unable to give proper reply to specific questions - keeps giving the "official" answers.
4. Lacking emotion behind the text - even online to a degree peoples emotion will show..
These are just a few tip offs that spot.. Hope others may find them of use..
S&F

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I must admit the question of [are we really talking to who we think we are?] has entered my mind on more than one occasion.
But I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I’m certain some young computer whiz is developing an APP to combat this problem as we speak. And will become quite wealthy doing so in the process.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by murfdog

I must admit the question of [are we really talking to who we think we are?] has entered my mind on more than one occasion.
But I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I’m certain some young computer whiz is developing an APP to combat this problem as we speak. And will become quite wealthy doing so in the process.

You think what you are programmed to think but the good part is is that we are born with free will that, even if very small, can change everything .... think choas theory ...The butterfly flapping it's wings can ultimately lead to a hurricane.
edit on 27-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: structure

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

Originally posted by burntheships

Can you spot a propaganda piece in the media?

It's sort of like the lawyer quip...

"You know their lying because their lips are moving...."

That must be why they are called "talking heads".

Great video on Facebook, thanks!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I wonder too how much censorship is going on with facebook here in the US.
Besides the fake people it seems to me like if I ever post like, an Alex Jones story or anything 'controversial' I get no comments, no likes, no ...nothing.

It's either people are not seeing it, or people do not want to admit to listening to or reading things like Alex Jones. TSA stories are going in some black hole too, and I know for a fact that I have friends that really dislike TSA.

Sometimes, like, with facebook, I wonder if it isn't just a big catbox that is mainly some other cat pooping in and I have no control over the liter. All I get to do is scratch around.

There's so much WEIRD stuff going on with social media, and with really popular sites like this one.

I have a friend that runs software like Maltego to track users on the little boards and connect them to usernames on the bigger sites and FB and the like.

It's enough to make me paranoid.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Nice list there, thank you!

Especially the one about "unable to give a proper answer, always quoting the original story".
Thats a great reason to engage those who pop in, offer a one liner "debunk".

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Once again Crimevelvet, you have presented some excellent information, thank you!
With the use of this virtual army, they also narrow the possiblity that someone would rat them out.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

That’s why you must strive to be a critical thinker. Do your own research. Question everything and most importantly never follow the herd.
Too many people just go with the “popular” thinking of the day in fear of being ostracized by their peers. That is what this program is designed to do. That is to herd the mindless to a desired side of an issue or cause.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

This is probably the single most important issue that confronts the world today, and something that everyone alive needs to learn about and be aware of.

HB Gary's software effectively ends democracy as we know it, by creating an artificial majority through virtual people.

It is as dishonest as the day is long, and people all over the world need to move to have it outlawed and the most severe penalties imaginable for it's use....

Well said. But I would not hold my breath.

In 1917 J.P. Morgan bought enough newspapers to control the news. Now JP Morgan controls 54 U.S. daily newspapers,and owns 31 television stations.

After controlling how we think for over a hundred years do you really believe the Elite are going to give up that advantage especially when their hands are soaked in the blood of innocents??

All this tells us is how important the internet has become. How important it is for us to keep spreading the truth.

Whether they hire "Jim" and "Orange cloud" to spread their lies or whether they use puppets, it does not matter. The Elite have the money to hire as many real or virtual puppets as they wish, after all the stole all that money from us.

When a person has all the wealth that you could possibly want for the material pleasures of life, what is left? Power. They are using this river of wealth to acquire power over you and me and our children.

They are literally buying up the world but not the real estate and the hardware, they're buying control over the organizations, the groups and institutions that control people. In other words, to be specific, they are buying control over politicians, political parties, television networks, cable networks, newspapers, magazines, publishing houses, wire services, motion picture studios, universities, labor unions, church organizations, trade associations, tax-exempt foundations, multi-national corporations, boy scouts, girl scouts, you name it.

This is when you must begin to separate illusion from realty .... which in and of itself (in the highest degree) is an illusion!

This is no doubt an illusion but our body and minds conceive this illusion to be true to the extent that it affects us. Do not lose focus

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
probably being done now, has anyone had totally random people add or follow you on the sites? I know I have a couple people that requested that I had no connection to not even from the same country. weird

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by murfdog
reply to post by AeonStorm

That’s why you must strive to be a critical thinker. Do your own research. Question everything and most importantly never follow the herd.
Too many people just go with the “popular” thinking of the day in fear of being ostracized by their peers. That is what this program is designed to do. That is to herd the mindless to a desired side of an issue or cause.

Yup...F*** fear ... F*** the norm.... Lets change something for the better! Lets talk about this openly without fear...but be careful. Some are not ready and may actually backlash and frown away from reality.
edit on 27-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by P-M-H

Thats a good question, I am not on facebook...
However, I thought you might be interested in this....

Even the most restrictive and security conscious of persons can be exploited. Through the targeting and information reconnaissance phase, a person's hometown and high school will be revealed. An adversary can create a classmates.com account at the same high school and year and find out people you went to high school with that do not have Facebook accounts, then create the account and send a friend request.

Under the mutual friend decision, which is where most people can be exploited, an adversary can look at a targets friend list if it is exposed and find a targets most socially promiscuous friends, the ones that have over 300-500 friends, friend them to develop mutual friends before sending a friend request to the target. To that end friend's accounts can be compromised and used to post malicious material to a targets wall. When choosing to participate in social media an individual is only as protected as his/her weakest friend.

www.pcworld.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

The IAO is central to this thread.

IAO plans to develop technology that will allow understanding of the intent of these networks, their plans, and potentially define opportunities for disrupting or eliminating the threats. To effectively and efficiently carry this out, we must promote sharing, collaborating and reasoning to convert nebulous data to knowledge and actionable options. IAO will accomplish this by pursuing the development of technologies, components, and applications to produce a proto-type system."
Example technologies include:
Collaboration and sharing over TCP/IP networks across agency boundaries.
Large, distributed repositories with dynamic schemas that can be changed interactively by users.
Foreign language machine translation and speech recognition.
Biometric signatures of humans.
Real time learning, pattern matching and anomalous pattern detection.
Entity extraction from natural language text.
Human network analysis and behavior model building engines.
Event prediction and capability development model building engines.
Structured argumentation and evidential reasoning.
Story telling, change detection, and truth maintenance.
Business rules sub-systems for access control and process management.
Biologically inspired algorithms for agent control.
Other aids for human cognition and human reasoning.
source

"Large, distributed repositories with dynamic schemas that can be changed interactively by users." = Facebook.. it also gives them the key data for most of the above goals.
"Story telling, change detection, and truth maintenance." = total perception control via "TRUTH MAINTENANCE" which is exactly what Psy-Ops Michael Aquino was calling for in his paper Mind War.

MindWar has nothing to do with deception or even with “selected” - and therefore misleading - truth. Rather it states a whole truth that, if it does not now exist, will be forced into existence by the will of the United States.
i.e. they will make up what they want to be real and force it upon the populace through media... he's talking about all of us here in the united states in this section of the paper. As a side note it even talks about EM mind manipulation/control, by EM radiation (HAARP) ELF inserted into media broadcasts, and Ionizing the atmosphere (Chemtrails)...

There are some purely natural conditions under which minds may become more or less receptive to ideas, and MindWar should take full advantage of such atmospheric electromagnetic activity19 , air ionization20 , and extremely lowfrequency waves21.

19 Atmosphericelectromagnetic(EM)activity:TheHumanbodycommunicatesinternallybyEMand electrochemical impulses. The EM field displayed in Kirlian photographs, the effectiveness of acupuncture, and the body’s physical responses to various types of EM radiation (X-rays, infrared radiation, visible light spectra, etc.) are all examples of human sensitivity to EM forces and fields. Atmospheric EM activity is regularly altered by such phenomena as sunspot eruptions and gravitational stresses which distort the Earth’s magnetic field. Under varying external EM conditions, humans are more or less disposed to the consideration of new ideas.
20 Ionization of the air: An abundance of negative condensation nuclei (“air ions”) in ingested air enhances alertness and exhilaration, while an excess of positive ions enhances drowsiness and depression. Calculation of the ionic balance of a target audience’s atmospheric environment will be correspondingly useful. Again this is a naturally-occurring condition - caused by such varying agents as solar ultraviolet light, lightning, and rapidly-moving water - rather than one which most be artificially created. (Detonation of nuclear weapons, however, will alter atmospheric ionization levels.) Cf. Soyke, Fred and Edmonds, Alan, The Ion Effect. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1977. 21 Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) waves: ELF waves up to 100 Hz are once more naturally occurring, but they can also be produced artificially (such as for the Navy’s Project Sanguine for submarine communication). ELF-waves are not normally noticed by the unaided senses, yet their resonant effect upon the human body has been connected to both physiological disorders and emotional distortion. Infrasound vibration (up to 20 Hz) can subliminally influence brain activity to align itself to delta, theta, alpha, or beta wave patterns, inclining an audience toward everything from alertness to passivity. Infrasound could be used tactically, as ELF-waves endure for great distances; and it could be used in conjunction with media broadcasts as well.

It is no random fluke that the Psy-Ops were working on Senators recently... they just got caught. This has been DOCTRINE since the 70's.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Thanks.. Based it on observations that have made over the years - both real world and online.. It helps a bit though scary if they ever manage to create a true ai that also displays emotions.. Then will be back to gut instinct and knowing how to read between the lines to spot them.. figure that with whats at stake in todays world it helps to share tips to remain a step ahead..

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I don't see corporate PR and marketing or industry intelligence in the chart. It should be there: bigger than national military and government intelligence. Plus corporate military stuff. ...Other than those little "oversights," yep, this crap has been going on for years - since about 2002 at least - first via real people then a people-plus-program strategy.

Like DD, I too tried to address this phenomenon - in a thread titled THE TROLL LIST. As stated in a post, I really didn't think it would work to call it "Deconstructing InterNet Dynamics as Manipulative Appropriation of the Media, with a Special Focus on InterNet Marketing Methodology and InterNet Marketing Professions via Fictional Personalities Created on Discussion Boards."

As outlined in the OP, the thread was meant to focus mainly on 3. "Promotion Trolls" and 4. "Social Engineers." Unfortunately, our mod team determined that the only trolls in existence are individual nerds, and closed the thread.

For those seeking further clarification of the terminologies, labels and descriptors applied to such:
see here

*Thread Closed*

I later integrated some of my "troll" research into another thread - here are some snippets:

...a brief overview of Marketing Troll principles... :

Social Advertising Best Practices

Social media is big and getting bigger, providing marketers with a combination of reach, relationships, and relevance:

* Reach: Social media has overtaken email as the most popular consumer activity
* Relationships: Social media's strength is in the personal connections it enables, the peer-to-peer contact…
* Relevance: Consumers are extremely engaged with the content and connections that their friends are creating because of its personal relevance.

Chris Koch's B2B Marketing Blog: Eight reasons to monitor social media and a list of tools for doing it

Here are some of the ways that these tools give marketers more insight into online conversations:

* Assign a response. Some of the tools let you define the types of comments or conversations that deserve a response, flag them, and route them to a designated person for action...

* Identify influential sources. The tools can determine the popularity of conversations and the sources of those conversations. This helps you decide which blogs you’d like to do outreach with, for example.

Chris Koch: How to create B2B social media policies
One of the cornerstones of a social media strategy is having a clear set of corporate social media guidelines or policies. The best documents don’t just tell employees what not to do; they also tell them what they should be doing to further the marketing goals of the company.
* Encourage community through sharing and attribution. Social media is not just a place for broadcasting opinions. Employees should be encouraged to become part of the community by doing research and linking to other relevant content—not just their own.

Separate opinion from fact. The best retort to criticism is factual evidence to the contrary. But employees need to check those facts for accuracy and attribute them rather than passing along something they aren’t sure about.

Make it public. Nothing demonstrates your openness and commitment to social media more than making your policy publicly available. ..

Chris Koch: Three steps for B2B marketers to build a personal social media presence
You may have to adopt a more split business personality (and do more work). You shouldn’t just get involved in social media to the extent necessary to do your day job. To get better, you should think of yourself as part of the emerging guild of B2B marketers in social media. …your personal social media goal—to be a valued member of the online B2B marketing guild—let’s talk about how you go about building your presence.
Step 1. Monitor
Step 2. Engage
Step 3. Manage

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by P-M-H
probably being done now, has anyone had totally random people add or follow you on the sites? I know I have a couple people that requested that I had no connection to not even from the same country. weird

Dont use any of those sites .. Prefer to maintain what privacy can in todays world.. Though several people that know told me that happens to them..

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join