It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why has ATS become so Apathetic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Simple, easy, and non threatening question. Why has ATS become so apathetic?
The passion, curiosity, and courtesy that was a hallmark of this site appears to be a lost cause.

Once in a while something truly challenging eeks through the sludge that everyday postings have become...and because everyone is free to post what they want within board rules, we each have our ways of dealing with what we read or don't read. Fine and dandy. But when the topic of what one thinks the meaning of American Spirit is posted...and it receives less views or replies than such posts about BEK's and UFO's with bleary photos, one begins to wonder.

I reply to threads that interest me, and they are of a wide variety, they have to be real stinkers for me to totally ignore them. I rarely post threads of my own here, as I have learned for whatever the reasoning, my interests do not get along with the "new majority". But, I thought I would give it a try. The choice of subject would surly breed more than apathy.

boy, was I wrong...either it is too difficult of subject matter...or if someone other than me posted it, it may have gotten the attention that it deserves. Most definitely this is not whining about "no replies". It just seems odd that only 3 people even attempted to give their views on the thread.

Has the American Spirit become apathetic as well?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
You can't get any stars here!!!
Whats wrong with you?
Should went with rants duuuuh!!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
You can't get any stars here!!!
Whats wrong with you?
Should went with rants duuuuh!!

not after stars, silly, hillynilly...
that is why I posted it here...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

In the political discussions ATS is anything but apathetic. Both the left and right show a passion and vibrancy that is the epitome of American debate.

Leaning to the Left myself I appreciate the conservative viewpoints and attitudes; even though I have been branded a "People like you" more times than I can count; the ideologies of others must be acknowledged to get a comprehensive view of the American spirit.

The American Spirit is alive and well to those that seek it! Especially on ATS!

edit on 27-2-2011 by whaaa because: huh!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I am new here but I feel that there is so much crappy news on TV that not many people care that much anymore...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I've been there, you think you got a really cool thread (like the one below that I'm shamlessly plugging) and you stick it up and then you only get three replies.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I bet if I claimed to be an alien I'd get more but alas even if I still believed I was (I have not since I was a small child) I fear I have no real value to add to the site on those grounds.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.
Why has ATS become so apathetic?

Who cares?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the irony bait. I don't think the ATS community as a whole has really changed that much, but rather that it's a matter of perception. And certainly our perceptions of ATS change over time, as well they should. Now please excuse me while I go ban myself for trolling or something -- if I can be bothered to.)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Im not at all apathetic. I have some very strong opinions on politics, ethics, morality, and the slow decline of science, and the steady rise of liars and falsifiers to stand in its place.
However, I am British, and although I do occasionaly post up in a US specific thread, people ignore or dismiss my comments often because I am not American. They believe that to know a places history, and its politics, that you have to BE from that place, or at least inside it. These people , of course, are ignorant philistines who wouldnt know what a healthy world veiw was if it jumped up and kicked thier ribs to calcium dust, but it makes thier dismissals no less aggravating.
I also post up pretty frequently on the political situation in my own nation, and generaly the discussions on those threads tend to be very spirited, and not at all lacking in energy , vibrancy , and fervour. It is not true to say that apathy is on the rise, but it is true to say that as our options for action become fewer and fewer, our conversations become stronger and more powerfuly worded, the feelings of dissatisfaction grow deeper, and our will to resist negative change by our leaders only increases.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Ever stop to think that maybe your post was so informative and educational that folks really felt they couldn't add much more to your information? May be a better way to look at it...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

Read your thread, and it is good. The thing is that I have NOTHING to add to the discussion. To voice my opinions on the general situation would be superfluous, since those opinions are well worn and well known, and to comment on specifics would be foolish, since I have no detailed data which lends me particular insight into the situation.
I can assure you though, had I anything to input into the discussion there, then I surely would... you would be sick at the sight of my name within a page and a half

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

it's from aluminum , barium , strontium , chemicals in food , SODIUM FLUORIDE IN EVERYTHING , heavy metals in the cars exaust that go in AIR , WICH WE BREATHE...
Oh and don't forget MERCURY in vaccines wich...
KILLS NEURONS!
AND THESE ARE JUST "SOME CAUSES" ...
There could be "other causes" , like :
SMART PEOPLE don't have time to waste around here and are busy making every day living , HAVING A LIFE , family etc...

Watch Brain cell death caused by Mercury Killing neurons Autism ASD
www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-3-2011 by leaualorin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

How about that...a reply to a reply.

You are right, most people have a life and things to do. I don't really have time to argue the same things over and over and over again. I am a Christian, but don't even try to defend my views with atheists anymore here... or defend or define the American Spirit...or define a "bug out bag" or argue how rediculous to contemplate surviving zombies in the survival thread.

In fact, the only reason I am here now is I am off today, it rained last night, and I am waiting for it to get light enough and dry enough to go outside. As for starting threads, I don't have the desire nor drive to write an essay with at least three sources and varified bibliographies and etc...I did that in school and college and didn't enjoy it much then... I'd much rather apply myself to my self sufficient farm...and my wife.... and building a new chicken coop...and

...you get the idea.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I haven't been a member here for very long, but I did lurk in these parts for years.

I personally haven't seen a ton of change, but then again I pretty much stick to certain types of discussions.

On thought, perhaps as ATS has become more popular over the years it's drawing a younger, possibly more immature crowd? Not to offend any younger members, but several forums I've been a member of for close to a decade seemed to have... well "change" in the quality of posts and the site became more popular and drew a younger crowd.

Just a though.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Thanks all of you for your replies...on second thought, my reference to apathetic was not in reference to ALL posts, just to some posts...a spattering, if you will.

Gaszrok, your reasoning is top shelf...and is a very positive answer to my query.

again, thanks all.

as above, so below...

top topics

join