It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zoloft or no Zoloft, that is the question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Hello there ATS. I'm in need of some advice. I recently started Zoloft for anxiety, OCD, and Senioritis, but it's making very apathetic. I find i just don't care anymore and cannot really feel emotion. I'm only on 25mg, i tried 50mg and it made me even more apathetic.

I really don't know if the Zoloft will work. It has in the past, but I've changed a lot in the past year and don't know if it will work now. Some people say it takes a few weeks to work, but i'm not sure if it's worth it to be apathetic for a few weeks, for a chance it might work. Plus these few weeks are crucial. I need to pass 2 classes 3rd quarter, then i "clinch" a passing grade as well as my diploma. I have a research paper due March 21st and need to keep my grade up in Spanish. The quarter ends April 1 (no, seriously). i've been down the medication road before with my doctor but I'm one of those people where we tried a ton of medications, and each seems to have a different side effect.

My doctor left it up to me over whether i wanted to be on Zoloft or not. It's sort of a crutch, i can function off of it, but it has helped in the past. With Zoloft, i'm kind of a robot that can feel a little emotion. Without it, i feel very intense emotions. It's tempered by exercise (i run daily), but i still feel intense emotions. Often times, if i have a bad day the only way to fully release the emotions is to just cry.

My parents are pressuring me to take it. They say i'm happier on it because i come out of my room. That may be true, but i can't feel emotion. Off of it, i usually stay in my room during the weekend, and still do on it. Plus, if something is bothering me, i often lock myself in my room to think and make sense of my thoughts. I've always done that, it's just me. I'm not trying to be anti-social, i just need more time to think off of Zoloft because i have more emotions.

Any advice ATS?
edit on 27-2-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'm not big on medication, But if it helped you out in the past..I would say give it another try, At the very worst if it makes you feel bad ..don't take it.. Only you can decide if the pro's out weight the con's..

I have a feeling a lot of members will tell you not to take it..Don't listen to them..Decide for your self only you can make the right decision.

edit on 27-2-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
There are other newer medications with less side effects. Talk to your Doc about trying something newer than Zoloft. Zoloft is very strong in comparison to some of the others in causing apathy. Thats an opinion not fact.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Zoloft and that class of SSRI's uses a fluorine molecule as its base, which is essentially what they are putting in our water. Eventually, your pineal gland will be fully crystalllized with fluorine salts, thus decreasing your natural '___' production possibly limiting your spirit connection and DNA activation in 2012.

The first part of that is true, though. If you don't like the idea of taking mega doses of fluoride, then I wouldn't take it.

Here is a more legit study on fluoride calcification of the pineal gland: www.icnr.com...
edit on 27-2-2011 by alyoshablue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

I tend to agree with tech, choose whats best for you although thats easier said than done. I am familiar with this medication as my ex-husband had used this at one time. It made him very zombie like. Unfortunaltely it does take a few weeks for it to start doing its job, but if your not sure whether to take or not to take, why not ask your doctor about taking half of the smaller dosage. Cut the tablet in half. Won't put you in a apathetic state but may be enough to fix the problem??

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sunsetatdawn

25mg is the smallest possible dose.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyoshablue
Zoloft and that class of SSRI's uses a fluorine molecule as its base, which is essentially what they are putting in our water. Eventually, your pineal gland will be fully crystalllized with fluorine salts, thus decreasing your natural '___' production possibly limiting your spirit connection and DNA activation in 2012.

Are you serious?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This is definitely not a question to leave to a bunch of people who do not know you. It is something between you, your parents and your doctor. However, I do recommend you and your parents educate yourselves on the drug, as there are often significant and unwanted effects.

Again, I'm not telling you stop taking it, but suggest this site to begin your research.

I said begin, because I also don't want you to rely on a single source. Please forward this link to your parents, as well. Armed with information, you can then intelligently discuss the issue with your doctor. Good luck!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
No!

I was on prozac for a while, and after beginning my spiritual journey - I dropped it.

I pieced together a lot of things that made me believe that SSRI's in general are very anti-god and inhibit your spiritual being. As said above - these things are all very real and those who deny it, I feel bad for. You're time will come.

Research as much as you can on Google regarding sex, waking/sleeping states, and how seratonin is involved in these. Then understand your chakras / energy / meditation / altered mind-states, etc..

I don't know if you'll come to the same conclusion that I did - but for me, a lot of various puzzles fell into place.

But, I am no doctor and do not know how bad your mental disorder (literally a lack of order, dis-order - not being negative here =) so make sure you're doing the right thing!

Btw, I was severly depressed, suicidal thoughts, lethargic, etc - and all the SSRI's helped - but I did feel numb. After starting smoking marijuana for fun, I noticed that the sensation of marijuana was MUCH different after the SSRI's had cleared my system (a few weeks), and since then my spiritual quest has been my main goal. I am completely drug free (not even marijuana) and am happier than ever!
edit on 27-2-2011 by derickonfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Yes they don't make it in smaller dosages, but you can cut the tablet in half. Not an easy task I know, but it is an option. Might be enough for you to get results you are after from the medication as well as function like you need to.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by derickonfire

I was on prozac for four months about ten years ago and found it hugely helpful, if only temporarily, it does not address the underlying causes and that is the most important thing to bear in mind. I was fortunate, I had had the same GP for many years when my depression peaked and he knew all about my 'control issues'. He told me to use Prozac to find my 'norm' and that way I would know when I was slipping over that line (or being pushed over it as was sometimes the case) and could take preventative action. Previous to that I had been prescribed Beta-blockers, but they made me feel too emotionally and socially detached. My Mum had had to wean herself off Lorazepan, and that had not been pretty so I had no intention of taking any of that family of drugs...zombifying... So prozac while having some very bad press and certainly not working for everyone, helped me, if only in the short-term, it definately got me through to the other side of something. Haven't needed anything (prescribed) since...sometimes these things are necessary to help us to get back on track and help us to regain the clarity to find a more long term solution to our 'differences'.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

This is the last place on earth you should be seeking that kind of advice.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
reply to post by derickonfire

Great way to put it!

Use it in the short-term to better understand yourself. That's the most important thing, really take to heart Plato's words, "An unexamined life is not worth living"...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

Originally posted by alyoshablue

Are you serious?

Afraid so. I used to take Lexapro, until I learned that it contained fluoride. I immediately stopped it and sought natural ways to work on the anxiety issues I had. This can't be proven, but I believe the pineal gland does play a role in spirituality and is kind of like a God organ, since it is responsible for '___' production and behavior in electromagnetic fields. It is proven that fluoride is very detrimental to the pineal gland and so, I chose not to take my meds any more. I discussed this with my doctor and she thought the logic was sound, based on my belief of the organ's purpose.

However, do discuss it with your doctor and express your concerns. In fact, I would discuss it with several doctors and see if there are other drugs that don't use fluoride as a base.

For further reading:
ATS Pineal Gland Threads
edit on 27-2-2011 by alyoshablue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

That apathy must be the real reason they prescribe it. I can't believe that is a coincidence. Zoloft and flouride, wonderful sounding.

I know that large quantities of C, ie. 8 grams sounds good, the powdered kind, you take 1/2 tsp, or 2 grams roughly at a time, in juice, 4 times a day. If it upsets your stomach, try putting a couple tsps of coconut oil, but then you must warm up the juice in a water bath, and let it melt a bit and then stir in the C, it really protects your system and is good for you, you can take a couple tbsps a day.

Niacin, no flush kind if necessary, quite a bit, read up on it. Don't want to get too much either. B vitamins.

Vit D, say 4 grams, just because.

Ginko is good too.

Cut out all junk food and pesticides. Try a reverse diet where you weed out wheat, and dairy and sugar, then after a few weeks, slowly add some of it back to find out how you feel.

Sweat out toxins in an infared sauna. Not the steam kind.

Try to put filters on the shower and tub tap because your skin opens up the pores significantly in heat and their are toxins, even flouride and minerals, often lead, in the water.

Search online for natural things instead.

Bananas, kiwis good for bipolar, the phosphorous I think, maybe potassium. So, its worth going with lots of fruit and non GMO.

edit on 27-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Hello there ATS. I'm in need of some advice. I recently started Zoloft for anxiety, OCD, and Senioritis, but it's making very apathetic.

Any advice ATS?

you have given us little medical information.
1.eliminate toxins, mercury (amalgams,fish,even calcium supplements),aluminum,food additives,restaruant foods,
junk foods,etc
2.mega doses of vitamins
3. take up running 20 mins three times a week
4.yoga or spiritual death if interested

drugs should be the last resort not the first

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
As another poster has said, I don't know you and I don't know your situation, Neither does anyone else here so I wouldn't be taking medical advice from them either, Not that ATS members are ignorant or anything like that, But situations like these can wildly vary from people to people.

I will however, tell you my experience with zoloft.
At the beginning of the year I was put on 50mg Zoloft for Anxiety/Depression, Along with Xanax for panic attacks. The first few days were alright, Nothing major as it takes a while to kick in properly. Over the next few weeks I slowly started to feel different, My anxiety wasn't as bad, but my depression was worse, And on top of that, My entire field of emotions was just 'blunted'. While it helped me not to feel anxious, It also made it very hard for me to feel joy or happiness. As the weeks went on and the drug took more of a hold, My anxiety took a massive jump, Mostly due to the side effects of the Zoloft. Constant dry mouth, Feeling of crawling skin, Constantly tired, Zero (I really mean zero) appetite, Constant dilated pupils, De-realization, Mood swings, A massive decrease in Libido, Impotence, Sweating, Insomnia. All of this on top of feeling like utter crap because of feeling "Disconnected" from everything outside my head.I felt none of these things with my regular anxiety.

So I decided to quit cold turkey, Jesus was that a horrible time. Coming off Zoloft is a million times worse than being on it with bad side effects. Zoloft withdrawl is one of the worst things I have ever experienced in my life. But it subsided. A few months later and I am feeling great, I'm dealing with my anxiety/depression from within me, and not using a crutch. And I personally think that is the best way to do it.

Long story short, I would never ever recommend SSRI's unless it was a last resort. Xanax wasn't too bad, Infact it was good for when I had bad panic attacks, however Benzo withdrawl is supposed to be on-par with heroin withdrawl, So I don't take them anymore either, Thankfully I wasn't taking enough dosage or taking it long enough to feel withdrawls.

edit on 27-2-2011 by Marto because: I should probably mention that my depression was caused by my anxiety, However after taking zoloft it pretty much just made me depressed, As in, Depression on it's own, Not depression caused by Anxiety.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
There is something to add, dopemine in the brain. Natural dopemine production. Search online for things that increase it. Its your natural healing, happiness, feel good bichemicals, and drugs elevate it, but they can also suppress it.

Excercise. Trampolines. Good music/friends. Meditation. Lots of things add to balancing your biochemicals.

Consciousness also affects outcome. I'll add some posts I made wtih some links on them and videos that are excellent for practice. I've had success with visualizing. But raising frequency first is important. That means, weeding out the problem areas in your life:

ie. those areas where forgiveness is hard, or negative people are around, low frequency activities like temper, anger, greed, worse things of course. Well, we need to work on forgiving and turning around these things with love and integrity and then, put in some high frequency things such as: laughter, good positive music, art, poetry, meditation, prayer, sungazing at dawn or sunset, asking for problems to be solved before sleep, giving to others, sharing, lending a helping hand, singing, dancing.....

Then you can set intentions and visualize and treat it all as prayers, give it to the Higher Power, the Good. See yourself turning up your dopemine, see it like a little generator, and you just fire it up. Its running good and natural. All your system is balanced. In meditation with soft music, maybe binaurals or nature, dolphins/whales, see yourself, happy, positive, doing something positive to help others maybe, feeling great, happiness, health, whatever it is that is good. Wide awake and your light growing.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
some of morningmayans vidoes, she has a full frequency course of them, along with a lot of good awareness of monsanto and new world issues.
She may be misled on the ufo issue, but she won a scholarship into the mayan forest with Terrence McKenna and others, based on her dreams and the frequency information she was given, and she's really positive, she sees it in the most positive way.

www.youtube.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
The PEAR institute. Even Princeton University acknowledges Consciousness and its affect on probability.

Really good information.

edit on 27-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I would never advise anyone to take these drugs unless they absolutely could not function otherwise. Dealing with emotions is something we all have to learn to do. Some aren't pleasant and sometimes I cry, too. Just FYI.

My parents are pressuring me to take it. They say i'm happier on it because i come out of my room.

And I definitely wouldn't advise a young person to take these drugs to make his parents feel better.
edit on 2/27/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Then you can set intentions and visualize and treat it all as prayers, give it to the Higher Power

Sorry but I need to say something about this. Healing comes from within, Not from an invisible higher power. When you put faith in a "Higher power" like you said, You're putting blind faith in something that you have tricked yourself into thinking is good for you. What you're really doing is saying "Everything will be ok because X higher power will make it ok". I believe that that blind faith should be put into yourself, And that is infact what you do when you put this faith into a "Higher power" Because that higher power isn't there (In my opinion).

I do however agree to everything else you said, What you listed are absolutley brilliant things to do too focus and balance your mind and find one within yourself, I just believe that putting all that healing you've done towards a "higher power" is counter-productive.
edit on 27-2-2011 by Marto because: Added second paragraph.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join