It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does 2012 have to do with Nibiru?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The Mayan calendar, is the end of an age, however, Sitchin interprets evidence for a 12th planet that causes chaos. However, what is the link between the Mayan calendar and planet X, is there one? There is not, however everyone believes it, like an internet meme, a kind of control over your minds.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
2012 is one of those nonsense things where people believe that if enough nonsense is tossed into the pot something interesting happens. The number of unrelated junk that has been heaped onto the 2012 date in humorous.

Sitchin's hoax of Nibiru is unrelated. Sitchin himself stated that.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Sitchin stated the Sumerian myth of Nibiru could be attributed to the Mayan Long Count. Not that it was for certain. it's a mix up of Sumerian lore and the Mayan religion that we have come to believe are one and the same

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Nibiru was originally associated with the planetary alignment of our solar system. The Sumerians predicted that when this occurred, Nibiru would return to wreak havoc upon the planet.

In May 2000 the alignment happened and no Nibiru appeared.

Some conspiracists then substituted in 2012 for planetary alignment when it didn't happen.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

This is something I really really want to hear a good explanation for. So far people have either skirted around the issue or just ignored me altogether, but sometimes you do get varying explanations that never seem to match each other.

IMO any nibiru thread in the 2012 forum should state why its that year, otherwise it should be in the appropriate forum. 2012 forum is only for prophecies due to occur during 1/1/2012 - 31/12/2012.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
A fictitious planet has nothing to do with 2012.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I am not one for prophecies, but can at least be open to predictions.

From what I have read, a good many ancient civilizations placed a great deal of emphasis on the heavens (being all things astronomical). From Stonehenge to Tiahuanaco, many ancient monuments have clearly been built to incorporate astronomical alignments.

Stonehenge might very well have been built as an astronomical calendar. A calendar designed not just mark the passage of days, weeks, months and years, but also the passage of centuries and millennia.
No one knows for sure who built Stonehenge, but the Maya we do know about - and they left behind their calendar, which if scholars have interpreted correctly, marks their belief in the end of the current earth age in December 2012.

Now what if there was indeed, a celestial body on (say for example) a 3600-year orbit around our Sun. That would be something in which it would be worth investing the time and effort required to construct such monumental calendars to predict the occurrence of each orbital pass.

So if true, it is not surprising that different ancient civilizations knew of such a body and resultant cyclical earth changes that ensued upon it's passing. Each culture would have had their own name for it - Nibiru being just one name, penned by Mr. Sitchin based on his own translations of Sumerian texts.

Throw into the current mix Tyche, Elenin, Nemesis, Eris and so on - they could all be said to represent a specific celestial body that could well be on it's way to our neck of the solar system just in time to bring about the Mayan's predicted (or calculated) end of the current age.

I personally am truly on the fence as to whether this body actually exists. The only way to research such a thing is to rely on official sources (Government sponsored), and therefore such information could easily be strictly controlled or filtered to keep any evidence of it's existence hidden from the masses. It's just not worth relying on any online resource to provide accurate truths for something such as this..

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by fieldfly

A planet with a 3600 year orbit cannot exist. Why? celestial mechanics prevents it from existing especially with a highly elliptical orbit. Any graduate student and even any person with a computer and a little know how can run the simulations and see that such an object would not have a stable orbit. If the planet had a circular orbit then it would be possible to see that planet from Earth even with amateur telescopes. The object would never come close to Earth. It would never have been seen by the ancients, because they did not have telescopes.

These other objects you mention, Tyche, Elenin, Nemesis, Eris and so on are far out except for Elenin. That's a comet and comets are small. Tyche has not been found, only predicted. If it exists it never comes into the inner solar system. It is 50,000AU out. Nemesis is no longer believed to exist. The prediction made in 1984 has been shown to have problems. Eris is a dwarf planet which never enters the orbits of the known planets.

The only way to research such a thing is to rely on official sources

This is not true. I hope I've shown you some incite into why.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Connection to Egypt and Sumeria

Ancient Mexicans and Egyptians who never met and lived centuries and thousands of miles apart both worshiped feathered-serpent deities, built pyramids and developed a 365-day calendar.

Cleopatra, the last Egyptian queen before the Roman conquest of Egypt in 30 BC, saw herself as Isis and wore a gold serpent in her headpiece.

In Sumerian Mythology they were a pantheon of good and evil gods and goddesses who came to Earth to create the human race. According to the some resources, these gods came from Nibiru – ‘Planet of the Crossing.’ The Assyrians and Babylonians called it ‘Marduk’, after their chief god.

QUETZALCOATL – Connection to the planets and their transits

Connected to the planet Venus, and its transit. QUETZALCOATL is supposed to return again, during a conjunction of some sort with the sun. One transit was in 2004, and the next one will be 2012. There have also been other transits in history, when QUETZALCOATL did not return.

Possible connection with planet Nibu? Many involved in research of this kind predict a return date of Nibiru passing Earth coinciding with the Winter Solstice of 2012; specifically at 11.11 UT, 21st December 12, 2012. In 1993 Nasa launched the IRAS telescope which picked up the faint image of a large celestial body 3 times the distance of Pluto in our own solar system.

heavenawaits.wordpress.com...
Maybe this helps
edit on 2/28/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

If you read the "Terra Papers" it could be in reference to a time-travelling spaceship. Only a planet-sized spaceship could pilot itself to hide behind the sun, however, a normal planet would have been seen by now.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

See these threads for another alternate explanation:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They should be getting more attention as they are a fresh look on the 2012 scenario.

If Nibiru is a spaceship then it could be coming to "beam us out of here" before the time comes, along with various other aliens, it could also be some kind of disturbance to the space/time continuum... Who knows...
edit on 28-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Thank you for your response, Stereologist, you present your argument very well.

However I still subscribe to there possibly being some cyclical event that the ancients believed they could predict. If such a body did exist and in the past caused massive earth changes, they likely wouldn't have needed a telescope in order to view the culprit.

In respect of the 3600-year orbit being impossible, this might be the case using 'known' celestial mechanics, and after all, simulations only run with models that have been programmed using what current science believes to be true. But it would be very naive to think that science today knows everything there is to know about our own solar system, let alone our galaxy, and equally naive to assume that everything that our governments know is automatically passed down to the independent science community. (I know that sounds like a conspiracy, but this is ATS after all !)

Our current civilization hasn't been on this planet long enough to make valid observations of what happens in our solar system over a period of 3600+ years. To me, saying a 3600-year orbit is impossible is a bit like 'the earth is flat' argument. Science today attributes comets with elliptical orbits, but do we actually know what makes them turn round and come back again? What if there were another body with sufficient mass which lies at the other end of this ellipse, and the comet orbits around both this and our Sun? What if Elenin is not a new comet, but a comet that we have seen before making a sooner than expected return owing to it’s orbit partner coming ever close to Earth ?
Nibiru is said to translate to 'the planet of crossing' or something like that. What mechanics are known for planets that might orbit in a different plane to that of the known planets (and perhaps cross that plane)? None, I guess, as science doesn't acknowledge any such planet to exist.

New discoveries are being made all the time, some requiring the re-writing of textbooks. For example, until 1994, it was taught that there were 109 elements in the periodic table. Now, that same table has 118 elements. And science still cannot properly explain magnetism. Sure we can understand it’s effects, but cannot really explain the force itself.

I feel that just because we don't know about something yet, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

But I posted in this thread not to argue a case for the possibility of such a celestial body actually existing (I can neither advocate or refute that), but instead to offer a suggestion as to how what some call Nibiru might tie in with the 2012 date.

Originally posted by stereologist
This is not true. I hope I've shown you some incite into why.

From a purely personal perspective, I beg to differ. Only government-sponsored entities have the means to launch space telescopes such a W.I.S.E, and see what is really out there. Otherwise we are restricted to reliance upon what we are told are known mechanics, and mathematical calculations to confirm or hypothesize about the existence of a distant celestial body.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
" In May 2000 the alignment happened and no Nibiru appeared.

Some conspiracists then substituted in 2012 for planetary alignment when it didn't happen."

Its only been 10 years ... just wait and see ... :-)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

When all else fails there is this urge to throw out the "people are ignorant', or the "unknown mechanism", or "it is impossible to know" claim.

To understand the forces that shape the solar system does not require knowing everything about the solar. And we certainly do not need about the galaxy to understand the solar system. It helps us in understanding the solar system, but it hardly matters if we do not understand something about a situtation which is unlike the solar system.

Science is able to demonstrate with great precision and accuracy what happens when objects in the solar system move about. The positions of even small asteroids can be predicted well into the future.

It is this very well understood process that makes the 3600 year orbit impossible.

On the matter of a heavenly body massive earth changes understand that the sorts of changes claimed are ridiculous. The claims of a planetary body causing earthquakes and volcanoes is false. Claims that the Earth can be made to stop rotating are false.

The claims of Nibiru fai in so many ways. The physics doesn't work. The Sitchin translations are wrong according to everyone that reads Sumerian but Sitchin.

New discoveries are being made all the time, some requiring the re-writing of textbooks. For example, until 1994, it was taught that there were 109 elements in the periodic table. Now, that same table has 118 elements. And science still cannot properly explain magnetism. Sure we can understand it’s effects, but cannot really explain the force itself.

Your example does not suggest that textbooks need to be rewritten. Elements have been added and removed over time. Just because the source of magnetism or gravity is not well understood does not mean that its effects are not understood.

I feel that just because we don't know about something yet, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It is also fair to state that just because someone is not aware of the state of the art in science does not mean that others do not know.

Only government-sponsored entities have the means to launch space telescopes such a W.I.S.E, and see what is really out there. Otherwise we are restricted to reliance upon what we are told are known mechanics, and mathematical calculations to confirm or hypothesize about the existence of a distant celestial body.

WISE is one tool available. Ground based astronomy used by amateurs is amazing. Go visit clubs. Their equipment would have been the envy of astronomers from Galileo to the early 1900s. What's available to amateurs today is far better than anything anyone had before.

You are simply guessing that only governments have access to this information and technology. You are also guessing as to what technology is required. You are also guessing that governments could hide the necessary details. All of your guesses are wrong.

Programs to simulate celestial mechanics are common. You don't have to be in the government to write one if you can't download one. It is easy today for graduate and undergraduate students worldwide to find out for themselves that this 3600 year orbit is horse pucky.

You are free to suggest otherwise, but to do so relies on arguing from ignorance on what astronomers around the world know about our solar system.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Absolutely nothing. 2012 is the year in which the Mayan calendar ends one Great Cycle and begins another. en.wikipedia.org...

Nibiru was a term in Babylonian astronomy for the highest point of the ecliptic and its associated constellation. en.wikipedia.org...

Te conspiracy nuts will put everything in the same pot: Planet X, Nibiru, 2012, pole shifts, comet tails, etc. en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 3-3-2011 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join