It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do US men call each other "ladies" just before they do something butch?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It might sound silly, but this just occurred to me (after my Ladies' Night thread), and I've always pondered the exact message/meaning here.
I've seen countless US movies and series where the hyper-masculine coach or drill-sergeant walks into all-male company and says: "OK LADIES, let's go!"
What is the meaning of this?
It has something to do with gender and masculinity, and infers some paradox for Rambo-like behavior.
But still, I don't get it.
Now I've also seen it used in some British movies, but I'm still not sure what it means and why?
Does it mean the men look lady-like to the male authority figure?
Does he want them to prove they are not ladies, like he "insults" them?
Does he imagine them sleeping with lots of ladies?
Here masculine figures encouraged masculinity, and we were never called ladies.
If US people don't want to encourage homosexuality, maybe they should stop calling their young men "ladies"!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
its called sarcasm..

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Come on darling stop being a little sissy and man up.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
it is to call all other fellas there wusses because the proper best way is about to be demonstrated by a real man...

got that nancy boy?

lol

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Just a derogatory term I think. Like calling them sissy guys or something.

Ladies being weaker (usually) than men.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

What, so if I call you all ladies, that's OK?
OK you're bunch of ... nevermind.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Strange though - it still says "ladies".
Almost like well-mannered women are incomplete men.

It's not only feminizing men, but expecting them to be decent?
I mean they could say: "Common you filthy guttersnipes/whores!"
All kinds of strange conventions are parodied in that sentence.

edit on 27-2-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

It's supposed to provoke a higher level of effort by the [male] participants in an endeavor . I think.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Could one write a speech, I wonder:
"OK - hear me men of Zimbabwe.
Until now most of you have been typical men.
But you are more than that - you are citizens of the globe.
So let's kick some Mugabe butt!
Common ladies,
Let's go!!!"

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
"Common you whores and Amazons from Lesbos!"
Doesn't sound good?
Nope.
So it's more than pure gender-issues.

I think a lady sticks to rules and conventions, and somehow there are moments in masculinity where one can break those conventions.
For example, over coming temper and aggression is socially good.
However, on the sport's field one must break those ingrained taboos.
So it's implying one is in a space where civility can be suspended.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Actually, being called a "lady" is a great complement.
So it should be OK, in any context.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Ladies, I have witnessed a helicopter that can fly in gravity-defying positions.

AC/DC "Thunderstruck":

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It seems to be one of those things unique to westerners.. Not seen it used in asia...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Yeah, it seems so normal in US material that they do not realize how incredibly weird it comes across elsewhere.
Nothing against it however.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'd say it's mimmicking those Ladies Tea Parties and Coffee Mornings where planning and activities are orchestrated and commenced.

Also brings to mind dotty old women who are armed with handbags at the ready and about to pounce on some unsuspecting "young man" for messing with the East Clacton Flower Arranging Circle.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Giggle ...
Interesting interpretation, so "ladies" isn't just sarcasm or a paradox.
Some of those ladies will kick your butt if you cross them.
So true, just thinking of the temperance movement and how they achieved Prohibition, and most of those movements were lady run.
Also reminded of Margret Thatcher and Tipper Gore (Queen Victoria, Imelda Marcos, Grace Mugabe, Winnie Mandela, that smiley chick from God hates Fags - those ladies will have you for breakfast) .
So yeah, you don't want to mess with the iron ladies!
Ladies, adjust yourselves, let's GO!

edit on 28-2-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You've got the answer in your question. It's just a silly little thing to say that means,

"Look, I'm going to do something so macho and so awesome that you could never match it in a miillion years. To show my contempt for the fact everyone here is a complete wuss except, of course, me, I'm going to call you "ladies" just to show I am superior to you and tell you I think you wear dresses. This will slightly piss you off or, alternatively, make you laugh, because I know the whole joke may be on me if I screw this up. So here, hold my beer and witness history in the making."

So, the phrase also fits in "famous last words."

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Hear what you're saying, but not convinced it is just a defense mechanism, although that's probably a part of it.
As for last words, if Americanisms spread before 2012 I can raise my glass and tell all my male friends: "Ladies, it was a pleasure".
KA-BOOM!!!

It would be a real anti-climax if nothing at all happened after that point.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by schuyler

Hear what you're saying, but not convinced it is just a defense mechanism, although that's probably a part of it.

Well, I don't know why you are not convinced. I live in the culture, including the military, where you often hear this. If you asked a Russian to translate a Russian word or phrase and he told you as best he could, would you say you weren't convinced? I don't think you are going to get a better answer, though you might get a funnier one.

As for last words, if Americanisms spread before 2012 I can raise my glass and tell all my male friends: "Ladies, it was a pleasure".KA-BOOM!!! It would be a real anti-climax if nothing at all happened after that point.

Nothing will happen, but that's a pretty good use of the term on your part.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I am not convinced it is purely a personal defense mechanism because we find similar orations in tribal cultures.
I saw recent footage from the Omo valley (checked on YouTube, not available) in Ethiopia, where all the young men are gathered and insulted by older men. Some of them get so heated by the insults of the elders that they spontaneously get up and attack a neighboring tribe.

Most of the insults also question and undermine the young men's masculinity, or use gender inversion.
So many gender structures in language function not only to subjugate women, but also to facilitate warfare.
This is part of language itself.
A good leader can use that to great effect when necessary, but it is open to abuse.
However, the structure behind it already exits, and nobody can just make their own rules.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join