It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What exactly is American Spirit in the 21st Century?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I write this with some amount of trepidation. A true skeptic knows answers to such a question can go just about any way, depending on the person answering the question.

Historically, American Spirit has shown it's self in many ways including becoming the US of A by revolution (so maybe part of the American Spirit is being a revolutionist) from England, taking "back the land" from the Native Americans (maybe American Spirit is being a conquer) that had lived here for thousands and thousands of years and spreading freedom and democracy (maybe American Spirit is being a militarist) to countries less evolved politically than we are.

WWII brought the United States together. There were many problems being faced before the War, much like we are facing in our times now. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, (maybe American Spirit is about being soldiers) Americans from all walks of life fought the War in both Europe and the Pacific pulling together and making their government proud.

We have finally made it to the 21st Century. Some will say that we have been to "hell and back" but we are still going. (Maybe that is American Spirit...Never giving up. so far my choice of definition) We have had technical advances and progress in almost everything.

Life is not getting easier, we must deal with corruption and lies from our politicians, there are wars just waitin' to be picked, and I could go on with my observations ad infitim, then how boring would that be...

Looks like all I did was see the negative of the American Spirit situation...not intentionally, just my observations, so far have reflected what I have seen in researching this phrase (google it and it gives a lot of materialistic products that use the name American Spirit) that kind of make you wonder if that is how the American spirit is seen ...

What I am asking is YOU, the reader to tell everyone what you see as American Spirit...what makes us "great" as Americans in the 21st Century...you just might surprise us all with your own observations.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

American spirit? What Spirit I'd say a demon. It has infected the lives of millions turning them into a junkie.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The american spirit died with the rise of the patriot act my friend.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
What was the American spirit in the 20th century observed by a 20th century American? Perhaps the same take as it's VERY easy to see the world in an evil way. I even think we humans ENJOY pain and the like because it is growth. Although we complain quite abit.
Yes there's 'wrong' in the world but it's change. Every century there's those that go 'oh my god the world's evil' but really, it's just change.

Think of it all as just a learning lesson. Life is but a game. You can't learn when you're comfortable and not put through stress or when hiding from yourself. Americans are just learning to build upon that spirit.

I've heard the phrase that 'If you look at the positive around you while there being so much negative, you're just in denial.' Really, it's far from that. We have an affixiation towards 'suffering' because it is growth! And ones who suggest that it's actually 'growth' and not pain suffering evil are classified as heretics.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
American Spirit is a brand of organic cigarettes.

Seriously, I thinking it is just a name for people wanting to be free.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneLife
What was the American spirit in the 20th century observed by a 20th century American? Perhaps the same take as it's VERY easy to see the world in an evil way. I even think we humans ENJOY pain and the like because it is growth. Although we complain quite abit.
Yes there's 'wrong' in the world but it's change. Every century there's those that go 'oh my god the world's evil' but really, it's just change.

Think of it all as just a learning lesson. Life is but a game. You can't learn when you're comfortable and not put through stress or when hiding from yourself. Americans are just learning to build upon that spirit.

I've heard the phrase that 'If you look at the positive around you while there being so much negative, you're just in denial.' Really, it's far from that. We have an affixiation towards 'suffering' because it is growth! And ones who suggest that it's actually 'growth' and not pain suffering evil are classified as heretics.

Change does not have to be evil or for that matter painful...uncomfortable, yes...but painful...nah...

If Americans are not endowed with a sense of what American Spirit is...then is the country lost? The comment about "not since the Patriot act went into law" intrigued me. Does American Spirit revolve around what the Government directs, tells, and pressures us to do? It didn't in the beginning throes of this country...yet people will roll over and take it now. What's wrong with this picture?

new topics

top topics

join