It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Geological Survey Says Magnetic Pole Shift May Be Forthcoming!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Seekeye2

So. What do you think that paper says? Any comments?
It's not like it hasn't been discussed a bit.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hi again. As you are aware, I'm sure, there is a lot of conjecture about there being some sort of large body orbiting in our solar system that could be a brown dwarf, a gas giant, or perhaps a large rocky object. They seem to be fairly confident that that could be a valid possibility. But the question is as far as the Nibiru theories go...is this large object orbiting on an extreme ellipitical orbit that will bring it dangerously close to Earth?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, OP. Yes, the poles do shift. All the time. They don't JUMP, they slowly shift, at least, most of the time.

All the speculation seems to be about what would happen if they did. There are geological records of when these events occurred, SEE HERE for more details. You see we really don't have any information. We didn't have sophisticated technology during the last one. So we can only guess.

However, two points:

1) The N-S orientation, since the earth's magnetic field is dipole, is completely arbitrary. Those are just names we give the direction. The field still functions as a buffer to solar winds, even in it's weakened state, and the atmosphere offers a secondary layer of protection. Sure, our electronics will be screwed up, but we'll post a firmware upgrade to compensate for drift. The only confusion will be a higher level software fizz, as transistors and diodes and such don't really care which way is north or south. Our hardware will be fine, no EMPs involved. It's a gradual thing, remember?

2) The field will generate, and continue generating, as long as the earth spins on it's axis. Shift the earth on it's axis, and the field compensates and stabilizes. It's a cool gyroscopic event on a planetary scale. Then, throw in Precession, which takes about 22,000 years to complete a cycle, and realize that Vega will be the North Star instead of Polaris in about 8,900 years (sic), and thereafter we'll settle back on Polaris. The Ancient Egyptians and Ancient Mayans knew about precession. The Magnetic field, eh, not so important to them. My point? The magnetic field of the earth is always in a state of flux. It flows, it accepts parameters and influences, and when the earth burps some magma the field always compensates. The rotation of the earth is the key factor. Worry when the earth stops rotating.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Pole shifts have occurred in the past but they occur on geological time - it takes millions of years to rise and decline in strength. Any pole shift would not be instantaneous - it would take years to occur fully. The magnetic field is supported by currents of molten magma deep in the earth, and the change of direction necessary to affect those field changes would be very gradual. Yes, you would see the center move and traditionally weak field areas migrate, but it would be a slow, multi-year process. Ask any geologist.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Interesting that you should mention planes,.
My Neighbor is a pilot for commercial airlines,.
I had recently asked him what would happen is GPS is lost,.
And to keep it simple,. he said no worries,.
Each plane has a number of redundancies built in and their own abilities
to navigate a plane without magnetic north.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by UncleVinny
Any pole shift would not be instantaneous - it would take years to occur fully. The magnetic field is supported by currents of molten magma deep in the earth, and the change of direction necessary to affect those field changes would be very gradual. Yes, you would see the center move and traditionally weak field areas migrate, but it would be a slow, multi-year process.

Yes ....but this HAS been going on for years.....who's to say it's not at the end of it's change? No one seems to be able to answer that.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants
According to the British Geological Survey the South Atlantic Anomaly....the area of the earth where the magnetic field is weakest, is spreading westward, and this may be a sign that a magnetic reversal is forthcoming.

www.bgs.ac.uk...

The South Atlantic Anomaly (SAA) is known to be growing in extent and spreading westwards from South Africa, as the Earth’s internal magnetic field rapidly weakens in this region. This may be early evidence of a forthcoming reversal in the direction of the Earth’s internal magnetic field.

You know, the rumour is March 15 is the day....just sayin' is all.

This may be early evidence of a forthcoming reversal in the direction of the Earth's internal magnetic field.

If the above were to occur what exactly would that mean?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin
This may be early evidence of a forthcoming reversal in the direction of the Earth's internal magnetic field.
If the above were to occur what exactly would that mean?

From what I've been able to surmise ....nothing.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

Nice thread OP. Thank You.

I see you wish to simply speculate on things, based on your knowledge. I don't see you shouting that we must believe, either way, like many seem to like doing here. Good for you...I don't see why people can seriously have a problem with that? Unless of course it tweaks some nerve within that threatens to scare them if they choose to consider it too. 'Debunking' can be just as good an any other emotional crutch.

I do chuckle at how so many seem to become experts in astrophysics when in threads like these, though.
Hastily debunking with apparantly solid "facts" when even the officials admit to not having such knowledge.

Human psychology is funny.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
For all you people that wonder when the comet Elenin will be closest to earth - here's Nasa's own calculation datas:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

It says it will be closest to earth early morning the 16th of october, 2011.
It will then be 0.233 au's away from us.
As it may sound close, it is still significantly further away then for example the moon.

And considering the small mass of the comet I highly doubt that it will have any gravitational effect on earth whatsoever.
But who knows really. We'll just have to wait and see I guess...

Considering the 15th of march date it is NOT about Elenin beeing close to earth, it's about it somehow beeing aligned with earth and the sun.
Possibly, according to some people, then causing a pole shift from combined gravitational pull and/or other various reasons...

That's what I've picked up from reading a little about it, and to be honest, I don't worry too much about either one of those dates...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by Greensage

Interesting that you should mention planes,.
My Neighbor is a pilot for commercial airlines,.
I had recently asked him what would happen is GPS is lost,.
And to keep it simple,. he said no worries,.
Each plane has a number of redundancies built in and their own abilities
to navigate a plane without magnetic north.

It is more than just GPS coordinates, without the Magnetosphere (if it should collapse) a plane's instruments would be bombarded by highly ionized particles from what ever the Sun happens to be sending our way at the time. Even the pilots and the passengers would experience this exposure. The higher the Latitude the higher the risk; like roulette it would be random until someone was able to realize that the Magnetic shield that protects us has distorted and shredded. Worst case of course depending on how much protection can be sustained and over what duration; perhaps there will be "no fly" days based on the binocular capabilities of watching the Sun from both sides and all will be safe!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by derst1988

Originally posted by Skate
They always said Beware the Ides of March...

S&F
edit on 27-2-2011 by Skate because: S&F for OP

lol yes but thats due to Ceaser. March 15th is the day he was murdered at the senate.
edit on 27-2-2011 by derst1988 because: (no reason given)

But the quote still lingers. Possible symbolism hinting towards future events?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This was posted here: ATS link

The goose is in the oven.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

If the field WERE to reverse, it would take a while, and during that period, when the field is very weak,
the solar wind and cosmic radiation would rain down on earth; that is normally blocked by the magnetic field of the earth. This rain of radiation and cosmic particles, particularly X-ray and Gamma ray radiation would make life on earth essentially burn up and become mutated because of DNA mutations. The only hope of survival would be to go underground, or into some kind of metal container with enough shielding to block out the radiation.
Long story short; during that period of low field strength most of life on the earth would end.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by UncleVinny

X-rays and Gamma rays are electromagnetic radiation. Electromagnetic radiation is unaffected by the magnetosphere. We are protected from electromagnetic radiation as well as particle radiation mostly by our atmosphere. The loss of the magnetosphere would lead to a slight increase in cosmic radiation which could some increase in cancer rates.

The last magnetic reversal happened about 800,000 years ago. Can you show evidence that most of the life on Earth ended at that time?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bobbydazzler

It won't be closest on that date - it will be 'inline' somehow with our planet on March 15th. I saw the models on the JPL site a while ago; October 15th is more likely to be the closest passing.

I guess someone else will have posted the links by now...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
[There is also another comet which is 45P HONDA WHICH IS DUE ALSO ON AUG 15 2011 it is currently about 5 million miles away at present.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I really think now is the time to get ready, filling the tank, packing seeds, rice, water, clothing, fishing stuff and my silver so that i can leave from the coast asap if needed.
And if nothing happens FINE, at least i wont feel stupid for not preparing!

Good luck every one!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I feel ( have to point out I'm no geologist or scientist , hell I even failed physics at school (by choice)) but IMO a pole shift cannot happen over night, it would be catastrophic in the extreme, not only to our modern way of life but to nature as whole, like a tidal wave of force.
Animals and birds would fly around as if confused if not crash entirely ? ( Hmm late days unexplained bird deaths) or whales and dolphins beach themselves in massed numbers.

I favour ( make that HOPE ) that any impending pole shift happens over decades if not centuries as most scientists seem to think. Thus allowing nature to adjust, also to have a SPECIFED date on for which this to occur is vague in itself, UNLESS and this IS hypothetical but HAARP is supposedly able to make adjustments in the Earth ( such as some stories suggest , earthquakes and such tectonic movements? ) maybe HAARP has done so much damage to the magnetosphere that the change is able to be accelerated to a point where it CAN happen in a day or a week.

But then IF you want to go the whole hog for conspiracy hows this?

HAARP has made so many adjustments that a pole shift is imminent not for the benefit of mankind but for the warmongers and war profiteers, It has been a documented fact that politicians like the Bushes and others have armed BOTH sides of a conflict to profit from war, now again take the 'projected' pole shift.
Both sides are armed, and the war for resources is on but the public is largely unaware as the military forces and poiticians do not want us to know, after all wars are good for the economy right?
Now both sides are ready to battle, but ONE side has an advantage, the others have the resorces that the likely winner wants ( in this case the US - which has HAARP and the loudest warmongers).
HAARP initiates the pole shift and everyone , you / me and the rest are simply trying to deal with the problems that in itself brings, but the war erupts out of fear and other stupid reasons such as 'rebellion' / 'revolution' - Humanitarian excuses etc.
Now the side that controls HAARP also has the updated software that takes the poleshift into account programmed onto their weapons, the defending armies do not and cannot get GPS lock on their missles, bombs etc and are therefore at a severe disadvantage with all the confusion as their technology is confused and don't know which way is up or down, even a personal compass would be wrong, the HAARP side simply rides over the defenders and the resources are theirs for the taking.

The war would be over before anyone truly noticed as everyone is distracted trying to stay alive as their car GPS and compasses are so screwed up that everyone is still getting used to the change? And if the poleshift were to occur would you really notice some war in a foreign country start and end in a couple of days?

Hence good news out of a bad news day for the war profiteers?

Now this is all speculation or severe paranoia but can we really trust our governments to do whats right for the PEOPLE or for themselves and their corporate masters?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
so what will happen when the pole shifts? Will planes fall out of the sky? Will be be burnt alive by solar flares and radiation from space? will satellites fall out of the sky? Will hippopotamus's walk backwards?

but seriously what will happen? Because i thought i saw a movie like ten thousand leagues under the sea where the earths centre wasn't making the magnetic field and solar rays were burning the earth?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I stand corrected Phage.
Thanks for the clarification.
( I KNEW we had some smart folks here!)

Next time I'll read the advice in your signature.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join