It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK National Health Service 'Death Panels' Rationing Drugs To Cancer Patients Based On Cost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
We all know it's about control, seeing as the money had been apportioned just for this use.

Cancer sufferers refused life-extending drugs despite Government pledge

Dying cancer patients have been refused costly life-extending drugs on cost grounds despite a Government promise to end the "scandal" forever.

Their requests have been rejected by regional health authorities who were accused of operating covert “blacklists” to restrict dozens of treatments to save money.

An investigation by The Sunday Telegraph has uncovered more than 80 cases in which desperately sick NHS patients have been refused the cancer drugs their doctor sought, in the four months since a £200 million fund was introduced to stop health authorities rationing treatments.

The fund was a key move by the Coalition so that those suffering from cancer would never again be refused drugs on grounds of cost.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Almost 2 years ago, the NHS was being criticized from all quarters during the run-up to Obamacare:

'Cruel and neglectful' care of one million NHS patients exposed

www.telegraph.co.uk...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is just the latest in what seems to amount to a series of disclosures of the inadequacies, and unbearable expense of, a government-controlled health care system.

In the last six years, the Patients Association claims hundreds of thousands have suffered from poor standards of nursing, often with 'neglectful, demeaning, painful and sometimes downright cruel' treatment.

The charity has disclosed a horrifying catalogue of elderly people left in pain, in soiled bed clothes, denied adequate food and drink, and suffering from repeatedly cancelled operations, missed diagnoses and dismissive staff.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

There was a nearly constant flow of news about the NHS, none of it good:

August 16, 2009: British Leaders: "Dismantle Nat'l Health Svc., "Fails Expectations," "No Longer Relevant"www.abovetopsecret.com...

August 2: Patients live in agony after NHS refuses to pay for pain management

July 2: Elderly left at risk by NHS bidding wars to find cheapest care with reverse auctions

And yet, each of these stories/threads prompted outcries of support for an unsustainable system of "top down" government control of medical care choices.

How long will US "progressives" continue to insist that "government knows best" when it comes to personal choices, especially in the selection and choice of health care?

jw

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Please ...Where have you been?

We have people here in the US who are being denied treatments and transplants based on monetary concerns. Imagine being told you do not qualify for a lifesaving organ because you can't afford it?

Capitalism is a lousy system.
It is the law of supply and demand.
You don't get what you want ...you get what they have for sale.
And there is an awful lot of crap out there.

Capitalism and the free market system needs a little forethought and planning involved.
Why is this concept so difficult to grasp?

Why would we imagine it would even be another way?

Rather than a Capitalist SUPPLY....and DEMAND system we need a people driven DEMAND and SUPPLY system.

You see the simple change that makes all the difference?

SUPPLY has always been first.
(in this system corporations call the shots and tell us what we want and need and manufacture goods)

and then DEMAND comes into play..(which may or may not come for those goods.)

This is a cart pulling horses.
WE are "the horses" getting dragged around by a mindless cart!!!!!

Think ahead as long as we have the ability.
What do we need?

DEMAND and then supply.
DEMAND and then supply those demands.

DEMAND and then supply.

Put people NOT corporations in the drivers seat
and then we will see progress and a better world.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I will defend the NHS all day long after the treatment not only me but other members have received, I wouldn't be here without it. I cant imagine what people in the US would do had they gone through the medical treatment I have received. Maybe my views will change if they withdraw cancer drugs from me, but until that day I will thank the NHS for the work it does. No system is going to be perfect, but i'd rather go with the one that treats all citizens no matter rich or poor and guess what if the rich want to go private they can.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

No system is going to be perfect, but i'd rather go with the one that treats all citizens no matter rich or poor and guess what if the rich want to go private they can.

Well obviously, even with the funds at hand, they aren't treating everyone, no matter rich or poor.

new topics

top topics

join