It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UFO/UAP sighting of the Portuguese Air Force pilot Julio Guerra back in 1982.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I am reading Leslie Kean's marvelous book "UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record", and in this book is a describing of the sighting of the Portuguese Air Force pilot Julio Guerra which he had in 1982.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d45b520bdccb.jpg[/atsimg]

It is in my opinion a very interesting case because the object he saw was also seen by two fellow Air Force officers from out another plane, Carlos Garces and Antonio Gomes.
What he and the other pilots saw seems to be a metallic looking disc composed of two halves, one on the top and another on the bottom, with some kind of band around the center, brilliant, with the top reflecting the sun. The bottom half was a darker tone.
It was capable of moving with very high speed in all directions and had an estimate size by comparing it with pilot Julio Guerra’s plane fuselage from 7.75 meters from about 2.50 to 3.00 meters.

The pilots estimated that the unidentified object was flying at over 300 MPH vertically and its velocity when it circled Guerra’s aircraft was about 1550 MPH.

It seems that when he called the tower and said to the controller that he was confronted with a strange object flying around him some other pilots who were flying in other zones and did hear that conversation made fun of it in the first place, but when pilot Julio Guerra responded to them by asking them to come over and see it with their own eyes and said that if it was a balloon, how could it ascend from the ground to 5,000 feet in a few seconds, there was no response other then silence.

Portugal, Airline Captain Spots UFO
In the chapter he wrote for "UFOs," Airline Captain Júlio Miguel Guerra relives his lengthy encounter with a highly active UFO while serving as a flight instructor for the Portuguese Air Force in 1982.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/145f8e2e662e.jpg[/atsimg]

He writes: "At various times the object had been very close to me and I was able to verify that it was round with two halves shaped like two tight-fitting skullcaps. I carefully looked at the lower one, which seemed to be somewhere between red and brown with a hole or dark spot in the center.

"The center band looked like it had some kind of a grid, and possibly a few lights, but it was hard to tell since the sun was so bright and was reflected." The object circled his airplane for 15 minutes while he was alone in the sky, in his DHC-1 ChiPM,unk. He made this drawing the day after the encounter and submitted it with his report to the Portuguese Air Force.

(Júlio Guerra, CNIFO Case Report)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/98a3cbe4fa34.jpg[/atsimg]

Guerra states that the object "flew at a fantastic speed in a large elliptical orbit to the left, between 5,000 feet to the South and approximately 10,000 feet to the North, always from left to right, repeating this route over and over. I tried to keep it in sight."

Two fellow Air Force officers, Carlos Garcês and António Gomes, flew to the location, and they too watched the object repeat its elliptical course, passing between the two planes on each return, for about 10 minutes. They were able to estimate the size, given its proximity to the two aircraft: about eight to 10 feet.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5885393fc01.jpg[/atsimg]

After landing, all three pilots filed detailed, independent written reports with the Air Force. General José Lemos Ferreira, the Portuguese Air Force Chief of Staff at the time, authorized the release of all the records to a team of scientists and experts, which conducted a lengthy scientific investigation. The group estimated that the unidentified object was flying at over 300 MPH vertically and its velocity when it circled Guerra’s aircraft was about 1550 MPH.

Since leaving the Air Force in 1990 after 18 years of service, Júlio Guerra has been a Captain with Portugália Airlines (TAP), Portugal’s largest commercial airline.
He has 17,000 hours of flight experience, and in 2009 he received an aeronautic science degree from the Lusofona University of Oporto.
Special thanks to UFO Casebook and the Huffington Post. Ken Pfeifer MUFON New Jersey, www.worldufophotos.org

www.nationalufocenter.com...

edit on 27/2/11 by spacevisitor because: made some corrections

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacevisitor

"At various times the object had been very close to me and I was able to verify that it was round with two halves shaped like two tight-fitting skullcaps. I carefully looked at the lower one, which seemed to be somewhere between red and brown with a hole or dark spot in the center.

"The center band looked like it had some kind of a grid, and possibly a few lights, but it was hard to tell since the sun was so bright and was reflected." The object circled his airplane for 15 minutes while he was alone in the sky, in his DHC-1 ChiPM,unk. He made this drawing the day after the encounter and submitted it with his report to the Portuguese Air Force.

Spacevisitor not sure you're still posting here anymore mate but if so great thread and I'm quite surprised that no-one has ever commented on this one - the close range description of the object does sound very strange (as does the flight characteristics) and it's always nice to have independent confirmation from other pilots in the air at the same time.

Leslie Kean's book 'UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record' has now been made freely available on pdf format here and the full report into Captain Julio Miguel Guerra's experiences can be found in Chapter four.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by spacevisitor

That's another case that could deserve attention. I think there's already enough accounts worldwide to say we may not be alone, at the same time lots of hoaxers and liars raised in the past years. Those times were a little more credible than nowadays. It wasn't until the recent 21st century when people started actually making profit from UFO stories, decades ago, things were not so, not in such reckless way to even profit from lies.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
There is another interesting case in Portugal known as the "Castelo de Bode Dam" incident/sighting.

It involves another Portuguese Air Force (PAF) aircraft - a Dornier Do-27 - and a single pilot. It happened in 1978 (IIRC).
I believe both cases are in Youtube videos. They were part of a series of 13(or so) episodes about portuguese UFO´s cases that went into broadcast on television a few years ago. That series was named "Encontros Imediatos" wich translates into "Close Encounters".

Gen. Lemos Ferreira himself is an UFO supporter and it´s public his sighting in the 1950´s while flying a PAF F-84G Thunderjet over/near Spain during a routine flight.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by meaningless333
It involves another Portuguese Air Force (PAF) aircraft - a Dornier Do-27 - and a single pilot. It happened in 1978 (IIRC).

That's a very interesting case, and it happened at a time where there were several UFO sightings in Portugal, too bad it doesn't have more than one witness.

Edit: it was in 1977, June 17.
edit on 14/5/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
There was also an incident in 1990 in Alfena ,Portugal when numerous witnesses saw a strange object hovering across the area for just under an hour.

Nat Geo recently did a documentary about it included in this programme,

The UFO looks like a sort of Sputknik type object.

I can't say I know much more about this one. There are only so many hours in the day alas.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The number of sightings in Portugal is far more higher than those reported, just like any other country I suppose.

About the "Castelo de Bode Dam" case although the only (known) witness being the pilot, there are some curious aspects: 1) at the time of the sighting the dam experienced a power failure and, 2) the aircraft´s compass suffered a 180 degree inversion (corroborated by PAF technicians).

That TV series was presented by Prof. Joaquim Fernandes, a leading portuguese UFO investigator. This author is also know for the investigation on the Fátima sightings.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The Alfena case was also reported on the TV series stated above - Encontros Imediatos (Close Encounters).

Until today the Alfena case remains an UFO, a truly unidentified flying object.

To be honest, I tend to classify the Alfena object as an experiemental drone or some sort of weather balloon.
Hey, but I have no proof for that and I am not an UFO investigator. Just my thoughts on that case.
I could swear that I already saw a similar metereological balloon somewhere (same shape with those appendages and size).

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by meaningless333
I could swear that I already saw a similar metereological balloon somewhere (same shape with those appendages and size).

Like this?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Yes, that would be the photo.

Thanks ArMap for the link and for posting the correct date for the "Castelo de Bode" case.

About the Alfena case, I think that if it was a weather balloon it would have been launched a day or days before the sighting. Whoever launched it, lost control/track and it became a loose object in portuguese skies. The weather and winds could have deformed those appendages.

Just my thoughts on this one but no scientific proof.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Yes UFOs like to go around in circles

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

At that very moment, the ship on the left lit up a dark green, soft glowing color, as it took off in a large circle which took it right back to its previous position, where it stopped on a dime, and returned to its small, “flashing aircraft” mode. As it was flying in the circle, I asked, “Does everyone see that thing?”, to which they all said “Yes!”, as I followed it with my arm and pointing finger. It took about ten seconds, and the circle was about thirty degrees across, so at 10,000 feet, it was doing about 2.000 m.p.h. At arm’s length, it was about 1” long, and about ¾” wide, so that means it was about 400’ long and 250’ wide. It’s thickness, based on a proportional estimate, was around 50’. The ship was virtually a five-story building, having the size and shape of the space at a football field with the track around it. It was lenticular in shape, like a lozenge, with rounded edges.

A small oval craft like the Zamora ship type might have been sighted by Guerra .
All ship types should have noticeable difference between top and bottom due to electrical
lift for altitude adjustments by the pilot and a noticeable ring or edge for the horizontal
movement as 8 or 9 elements are in the drawing and a full circle will give the ability
to move at any of the position directions even for 90 degree turns.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
"The UFO/UAP sighting of the Portuguese Air Force pilot Julio Guerra back in 1982."

Wow, we can breath a sigh of relief knowing that they finally saw Julio Guerra. Have they had any more sightings of him since 1982??
Just teasing.

One of the things I found interesting about the pilot's description was the blackish "hole" at the bottom of the craft. Stan Romanek described (and videotaped!) a "black hole" like space directly under the craft between the spinning balls. If memory serves me, in his night time automatic writing about the physics of these things the warping of space time had something to do with generating artificial black holes, moving electrons around to somehow do so.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Black spots are from extremely polarized air.
Air atoms and any other material for say hundreds of miles above the UFO have
negative charge pointed to the UFOs. I infer that all plus and minus matter is
still closely attacked to one another but any random position has been eliminated
by the electrical waves being generated. Thus the ship bottom having an electron
deficiency the loss of the electron quantum jumps causing a diminished light.

Nothing to do with time warps or space warps but indeed something to do with
physics even quantum physics that has been denied by the loss of orbit
jumping electrons giving a light sink or black zone due to polarized air atoms
that shut out light.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12

Leslie Kean's book 'UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record' has now been made freely available on pdf format here and the full report into Captain Julio Miguel Guerra's experiences can be found in Chapter four.

New link:

PDF

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

the close range description of the object does sound very strange (as does the flight characteristics) and it's always nice to have independent confirmation from other pilots in the air at the same time.

First time hearing about this case on a new series, UFOs : The Untold Stories. Not only close range and corroborated by other pilots, the siting lasted around half an hour.

Synopsis from the episode guide below

In 1982, a Portuguese Air Force pilot is circled by a UFO at over 1500 meters for nearly 30 minutes. The incident launched one of the biggest UFO investigations in Portuguese military history.

One of the best reports I have read, top 5 maybe. Westall is the only other really credible case Ive read about where you have someone this close and able to get a good look at the UFO.
edit on 5-6-2016 by 111DPKING111 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join