It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koch Bros. - Wisconson Unions Bill - Hidden Agenda - Selling off Public Utilities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Koch Bros. - Wisconson Bill - Hidden Agenda

legis.wisconsin.gov

"SECTION 44. 16.896 of the statutes is created to read:
16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling,
and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the

department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may

contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without

solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best

interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or

certification of the public service commiss
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27-2-2011 by Vizzle because: EditThread Title

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I was reading through the Wisconson Union bill, just because of all the nonsense.. Found this little nugget to be quite interesting. Selling public utilities for pennies on the dollar is what it sounds like. Why is this included in the bill?

Start reading at the top of pg. 24.

SECTION 44. 16.896 of the statutes is created to read:
16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling,
and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the

department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may

contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without

solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best

interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or

certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to

purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is

considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification

of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b)

Discuss.

legis.wisconsin.gov

edit on 27-2-2011 by Vizzle because: nudity

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Sorry more thinking going on.

Selling state assets without a bidding process is a pretty big issue. Letting everyone bid on it to get the state as much money would seem to be more sensible. I think there is some major back scratching going on

This bill is pretty much saying that no bids, no oversight, no approval required
edit on 27-2-2011 by Vizzle because: more nudity

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
ya see, this is one of the things about bills
that make absolutely no sense to me.

what good is a bill, when they put so much
other stuff in it that has absolutely nothing
to do with the title of the bill?

can we just have a bill that says:

Jack and Jill fell down the hill???

this is one of the reasons why our system
is so screwed up, so many laws overlapping
other laws it's pathetic.

Cut the pork !!! To quote Joe Friday:

Just the facts ma'am !!!
edit on 2/27/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Agreed. This language should not be in the wisconson unions bill at all. I want to know why there is not more talk about this. I feel this is headlines material. Why would something like this be ignored. The selling of public utilities? That is serious business. Especially since it could very easily turn in to "Hey, ill give you $20 bucks for that powerplant, and 30 million on the sly for the hookup"
edit on 27-2-2011 by Vizzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vizzle
I want to know why there is not more talk about this. I feel this is headlines material. Why would something like this be ignored. The selling of public utilities? That is serious business.

The protests are a cover for what's really going on.
It's a distraction. MSM should cover this,
however TPTB won't let them.

Kinda gives a new meaning to why the DEMs
are a no-show.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

There are more than enough people protesting because of the bill. Maybe they should actually read it. Anyone from Wisconson (i know there are some packer fans on here) that can help spread the word that not only are the unions getting screwed, but that the whole state of wisconson is about to take it with no lube. I would have thought Enron would have taught people that this is a bad idea.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I don't see why the state of Wisconsin is in the business of running power plants, anyway.

Say what you will about corporate greed, but private concerns run things better.....as a rule. Government run things seem to cost a whole lot to operate

We have a Public Service Commission next door in Michigan tht set rates, but our utility companies are private.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Agreed the state should not be in the business of running, well, businesses. However, in some cases, such as universities, state hospitals, prisons, etc, having your own power, heating, cooling, makes some operational sense.

Regardless, those utilities are here, like it or not. If the Wisconsin budget is in such tough shape as those who want to to sell off these assets say it is, then why "no bid"? Why not sell to the highest bidder? Why not try to recoup something? Fine, sell it, but why give it away?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

This point has been kicked around some over here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good stuff though.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I am in total agreement with the fact that private organizations run things more efficiently but the issue I see here is there is no bidding process. He can pretty much sell the public utilities to whomever he wishes for whatever they want. There should at the very least be a clause that introduces a minimum set amount for the public utilities such as appraised value. The other thing that is disturbing though is that the public unions are getting the shaft and they represent the public workers working at these public utilities plants. They are the only thing stopping the state from just up and firing everyone so they can sell off the utility location without argument.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

You bring up a good point or two.
Why no bid?

Problem with this, and with most of what goes on in politics, is that we rarely see any issue presented in a way where we can determine its fairness.
It's like we're dummies and cannot comprehend both sides of an issue.
I blame government and the media for this.

The subterfuge stifles.

top topics

join