It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern hackers are pathetic.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
My own conspiracy against the hackers………

For grins and giggles I sometimes put a honeypot of sorts out on the internet on a dynamic IP just to see what the port scanner people will try to do with it.

But, more often than not, the response by the little botnets have been pathetic. An obvious sign that all the hacking is being done by automated programs on the hacker’s computer and slave bots. There is obviously no one looking at the data.

I put an obvious port 80 server on line, with some juicy stuff, and let it sit there. The botnets will probe the port time and time again, and verify that it is there, then they go right to the FTP, windows server, phpmyadmin and webmin attacks. They don’t even take the freaking time to look at what is on the server they found.

When they find a secure FTP server then they just sit there an brute force attack it hour after hour………….

I know what they are wanting to do. They are wanting to gain access to the root directory and load their own program for the server to run. Or their own files that they can point infected computers to.

If you just have port 80 visible, and hide all the others, then they just probe port 80 once, then try to get a response on all the other ports, when that fails, then they move on. I have left a port 80 server online for days that way, and I didn’t have a single hacker actually look at what was on the damn thing!!!!!!!

What was really pathetic was I had put a lot of work into making a website that would make a person go WTF!!!!!!! I had finally got tired of seeing Chinese botnets hit my firewall. The page I made was patterned after a military webpage. It had top secret plastered all over it. has a couple document sections laid out. “Critical problems and contingencies. Works in progress. Target lists. Ordnance selection guidelines."

The basic jest of the website was……… “The Chinese hacking problem had reached a critical point where something had to be done!!” …..and…….. “Because the Chinese government has shown complacency in their actions… The only viable method of stopping them based on the limited positioning information you can get by their IP is limited strategic nuclear strikes to take out the hackers.”

Then I went into cost benefit analysis of weighing the civilian losses, to the possible gains by eliminating the people that are causing the problem, and the shear intimidation of anyone else that would even think about hacking.

Ordnance selection was based on how many civilians may die, verses the probability of not taking out the hacker. It is obvious that if you don’t take out the hacker, then all the civilian losses are for nothing.

None the less…… that was a while ago….. and I don’t have that up anymore.
I am currently thinking of a way to screw with their botnet minds.

If I put an open FTP server, or a secure server that has an easy password to guess…. Then I know that they will gain access…… but….. If it is a fake root directory or a totally unrelated machine from the one that is providing the webpage…. Then….They will try to load a program for the server to run… But it won’t do anything. Or they will load a file on the HTTP directory and expect it to be available on the port 80 server…..But it won’t……….

I could keep them scratching their heads for hours…..

(evil maniacal laughter)

The other thing I have found out is………. If you start pinging them, or port scanning them back, then they quickly run and hide……. Once they find out there is a live person on the other end sending stuff back at them, then they lose their bravado and run off and hide like ants.

After pinging/port scanning a couple attacking computers the incoming attacks have disappeared….. I have been sitting here for over 2 hours while working on other stuff with the packet sniffer running on one of the computers on the network link to the “honey pot” and I haven’t seen crap!!!!!!!!!

The last good attack I have sustained was from
AKA
cms.suavemente.net (I would NOT suggest that you visit the site)

A web hosting provider website server!!!!!!!!!
The server has probably been hijacked by a hacker and is being used to attack other servers…… Or…… The people that are running the website are using the server to attack other servers. One or the other….. it doesn't portray a good image for the company.

edit on 26-2-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
You go scooby doo..

Yeah some hackers are cool..

wakka wakka wakka

Oo

amiclear?

edit on 26/2/2011 by badw0lf because: two a's amiss, to all we miss, to when we never see them...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
So basically what you're saying is modern hackers suck because they haven't really attacked your server when they have no real reason to attack it?
edit on 27-2-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

This is pretty much the main reason. The reason why you think hackers are pathetic is because you have been attacked by "spammer" hackers, not "real" hackers. Spammer hackers don't hack for gain or to even cause intentional harm. They hack for the same reason people will leave up auto-refresher for months at a time to rack up YouTube video views or run an automated voter program to upvote a poll endlessly. If you were to do something to incite a real hacker and/or you had something of significant value, the hack job would be so clean that you wouldn't have even noticed that they were there.

In terms of the hacker class, it's very similar to real life: You've got the majority who are peasants and the minority whose power and influence you cannot even begin to comprehend.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Maybe you could email Anonymous and ask them to give a run at your system to see if they are better than the netbots you have been defending against.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

It is pretty amazing how desperate they are now to infiltrate every single computer

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Pretty aware this is an off-topic question but, are you aware that Tranny is short for Transsexual?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Biggest load of hooey. You have not been hacked because:
- Hackers need a cause, only idiots break in to every lock they find.
- Good hackers don't use one technique or medium - they social engineer, brute force and phish.
- The majority of hackers are script kiddies, but there are still alot that know what they are doing.
- Hackers are smart enough to know anything can be tracked, they also know when you play with fire too much for no reason you get burnt.
- Hackers that know what they are doing do not leave an indication they have been in to your system unless you have upset them.
edit on 27-2-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

That is the entire point! Those spammer hackers are the only hackers that you will find out in the wild any more.

The “real hackers” think their time is too valuable to waste doing real foot work out on the net prospecting for security holes. So the unwashed population never has to deal with them. The “real hackers” are off someplace doing something important! So, unless you do something to tick them off, or someone hires them to hack you, then you will never see a real hacker. So, basically, they are not like real hackers any more, they are more like internet mafia bosses.

For everyone else in the unwashed internet masses, all we have to deal with is the ever present script kitty. The underlings of the internet mafia.

When you have a site that isn’t reporting to a domain, or you have one that is showing a privet network IP, then you would think that it would raise someone’s eyebrows and make them go…..”I wonder what I have found here?” It is a classic security hole in the wild.

And yes, I would know they are there. That was the whole point of my playing around. I had a representative server online, with a direct tap on the data link where I could record every single packet that went in, and out of the machine. No one could put anything on, or pull anything off the machine without me knowing about it.

It’s called a trap!

Yes, I know that they (the hackers) wouldn’t directly connect to it just for that reason. (it may be a possible trap) but you would think that they would at least have one of their bots pull a copy of the webpage to see what is on it. No one pulled a page in all the time it was on!!!!!!!

It gives credence to the old saying, “The best place to hide something is in plain sight!”

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Trust me, if you had anything of real value and they had a reason to go after it, they would have been in and out before you even realized it. If they went around attacking anything they could, they would never get anything worthwhile done. In this day and age, there's much more important targets for real hackers.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I'm just intrigued at what's on the website you said not to visit in your OP.

new topics

top topics

join